Neck Length Ponytail and Bun challenge?

Evolving78

Maybe for those of us that are NL, barely SL can start a ponytail/bun challenge?
i know i can't do ponytails or buns like the ladies with longer hair can, but i need to do something. it is hot right now and my hair in a relaxed/texlaxed state that doesn't do well with straight looks. i also just want to keep my hands out or have a style that doesn't take much. i am scared of phony ponytails because of the combs that can damage my hair.(had a bad experience once nine years ago)

we could share tips, stories, and updates on how to keep our hair moisturized, smooth, and free from excessive breakage. We could start the challenge tomorrow, since it is the beginning of the month. we can post pics too.

for ladies that have neck length hair or shorter, what do you do to keep your ponytail or bun looking nice?

see i am a person that has to have it looking neat/slick and it takes some work and product to do that. also when you start to get new growth, what do you do to keep your ponytail and new growth looking neat?

is it possible to just wear my hair like this, because nothing else seems to be working out right now for me.

also i want to make sure that my hair is moisturized, so instead of using gel, i use oil and leave-in conditioner. i like using Motions hair pomade to slick my edges down. what do you use?

SelfStyled

First of all- I love the way your hair looks:yep:! It looks nice and neat, but like it would be soft to touch- if that makes any sense:lachen:.You could certainly rock it as is. I am a little longer than NL, not by much I am relaxing the end of this week and should be full shoulder length(I pray). I certainly would be up for a challenge. And hey if it's a challenge of two that's fine with me.

With that being said I can certainly identify with not having enough hair to make a proper bun. Last June- I decided that I wanted to wash my hair more than 1x a week, and the easiest way to do that was use the scarf method.

My regimen is: I wash with shampoo once a week, and cowash once a week. After I wash, I apply my leave in, Sunsilk Captivating Curls(green bottle) I then seal in the moisture with Sabino Moisture Block, put my hair in a ponytail, put on a silk scarf, and get under my bonnet dryer for 30 min on low. I put a dab of gel on my edges***Basically, I am airdrying in a ponytail with a satin roller on my ends***

I know some might squawk that I use a dryer 2x a week, but I have not had any problems at all. With this method my hair dries nice and smooth. But as always, everything is not for everyone. I have retained all of my growth with this method.

Here is a tutorial I did for how I wear a phony pony and I never use the combs:
http://public.fotki.com/SelfStyled/2009/how-i-attach-my-dra/

This is what it ends up looking like.....

Since all of my hair is not long enough to go into the pony, I have found that my silk scarf is my very best friend:yep:- the more I think of it, it's like a brush in the sense that it keeps my hair neat and flat. Make sure that you get a real silk scarf, because they are better at helping your hair to retain moisture rather than a satin, cotton or polyester scarf.

I don't manipulate my hair until it is time to wash again. I just moisturize, and seal daily and sleep with a scarf at night.

Also here is the phony pony thread if you need any more ideas or tips...

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=347467

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hi Shortdub: I looked at this, but since I am Phony-Bunning, I really didn't think I would qualify.:look:

However, with my Phony-Bun; I Co-Wash, Deep Condition and then I apply my Leave-In, Gel and a Serum. I dry under the dryer or sometimes 1/2 dryer 1/2 Air.

Then, I will seal with Oil and tie down with Silk or Satin Scarf to further smooth things out and get it to lie down flat/slick.

Big Shout-Out to Self-Styled:hiya: for Hookin' Me Up this Summer with the Phony-Bun. My Hair is:worship2: really thanking her for all Her Knowledge, Techniques and Inspiration.

And it's been so great. Little to No Manipulation except on wash day.

The only problem I see myself having; is having to clarify more often because of "potential" product buildup, other than that, it has been wonderful.:yep:

Evolving78

thanks for the compliment SelfStyled! hey ladies, there is nothing wrong with the phony pony method. i just was scared to use them because i ended up with a bald spot from the comb attached to the one i was using. IDareT'sHair please join me in this quest!
i will have to invest in a silk scarf since i only have satin. SelfStyled- i am going to have to look into your method for the phony pony. i love you styles. i think i will cowash once a week and shampoo once a week to keep it neat and moisturized.