Need a New Flat Iron - Some Help Please

wyldcurlz

Desperately need a new flat iron. I've been using my Mom's until I just spent a small fortune on a flat iron that my stylist recommended and its HORRIBLE! And worse yet, the salon won't take it back.

So, I'm out $$$ AND still need an iron. Recommendations please!

I would suggest a FHi or a CHI but those are on pricier end... :perplexed...

What did the Salon recommend too you...

I would suggest a FHi or a CHI but those are on pricier end... :perplexed...

What did the Salon recommend too you...

the salon had me buy the Unite Eurotherapy Iron and my stylist used it on me, but then she went over it with a marcel iron too.

anyway, i rarely straighten, but i did this weekend and it was a frizzy mess. even at the highest temperature! do you like the FHI or CHI better? i used to have an FHI, but i don't remember how good or bad it worked...its been so long. thanks for your input. :)

Walmart online has reasonably priced flat irons im thinking of buying one myself

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

If you are looking for a good, sturdy long lasting and affordable iron, the Sally's GVP iron is REALLY great for the price. I have had mine for at least 5 years and it's just showing signs of wear. I got mine on sale for 49.99.

It depends on how much you would like to spend.

You should check out folica.com they have a good return policy so you won't be stuck with something really expensive you don't like.

I got the Croc with titanium plates! i love it! it has a digital heat control setting. it is light weight, it doesn't get too hot and it glides across my hair without snagging.

I have the Croc too. I'm still undecided about it being worth the price. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice flatiron and I like the features; infrared, digital heat control etc. But I have a $40 Jilbere flatiron that seems to work just as well.

The Sedu 1.5" !! I love this thing, if i would have known it was so good i would have gave my CHI away a long time ago ( well i didn't give it away my aunt borrowed it and never gave it back). Even though i use heat like 1-2x's a year if that i want the best. My hair is flawlessly silky and shiny in one pass, It does make me want to flat iron more but i haven't caved lol.

Last edited:
I recommend the Fhi Platform 1.75". Better than Chi in my opinion. :yep:

Off topic: Is Chi short for "Chinese"? If so, how/when did they enter into the natural hair market? :look: They seem to have a long list of hair proucts and tools.

I recommend the Fhi Platform 1.75". Better than Chi in my opinion. :yep:

Off topic: Is Chi short for "Chinese"? If so, how/when did they enter into the natural hair market? :look: They seem to have a long list of hair proucts and tools.

@SherylsTresses CHI stands for Cationic Hydration Interlink. It's under the Farouk umbrella, which also makes Biosilk products.

The founder of Chi is Farouk Shami. He's a Palestinian businessman. The products used to be manufactured overseas, but he moved all of his factories to America (to Houston). He also ran for governor of Texas as a Democrat.

ETA: As I understand it, the company created (or at least made popular) a lot of the flatiron technology that we use today - that is why the Chi name is so big. He was making products before the natural hair movement made a resurgence.

Last edited:
I have the Andis Ceramic Plate 1 Inch Flat Iron, and it works pretty good. It straightened my hair better than the CHI iron. That's just me. I got it for around $15 from Walmart.

0004010267095_300X300.jpg

i really love my sedu 1.5''...i havent used it on my hair, but it works wonders on the peoples hair i've straightened with it, both relaxed and natural. and it doesnt take long at all to straighten.

OP if your hair is natural there are only a couple things that matter when it comes to your flat iron:

1. Ceramic or Titanium plates - helps to maintain even heat and prevent scortching your hair

2. Variable heat gauge - many irons have the 'hi' 'med' 'low', but that is not adequate for textured hair. You will need to purchase an iron with actual temperature range to ensure the iron gets hot enough and and prevent the need for multiple passes

I have a $20 Ceramic Tools iron and the $400 FHI Runway.

The Ceramic Tools iron does me just fine. I actually have a photo on my blog of my friends 4b hair straightened with the cheaper iron. Pretty darn silky if you ask me.

Technique plays a big role.

Last edited:
Remington model s2044. This flat iron is great. I have it too, and it's affordable. It has some kind of teflon fabric covering ceramic. It heats up fast and it's designed to reduce heat damage. Here's a review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob1kEWxSs54

and here is a photo of my hair today.

Attachments

• Photo on 9-29-12 at 7.57 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 9-29-12 at 7.57 PM #2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 53
I use the Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium flat iron & it's durable & works exceptionally well on my 4a/3c mix hair as well as my sister's 3b hair. On my little cousin's 4c hair the Maxiglide produced a smoother result when used with the pin plate. The Sedu iron (base model) also produces a great result, but has variable longevity IMO; I would never purchase another one despite how well it can work because they're (at least they were) very glitchy.

What specs are you looking for in a flat iron ? Also, have you thought of selling your current irons eBay or Craigslist to cut your losses ?

WARNING: Never used these flat irons, just throwing out suggestions since I was looking for one too. I'm cheap so I'm going under $50.

I'm in the market as a first time buyer of a flat iron. I got one off of groupon for $30 :look:. Not sure about it since I haven't tried it. I think it's called Crush Flat Iron. While it does have adjustable temperature, you can only see 150F and 450F. No other markings :ohwell:. Somebody lied to me....

I also spotted this flat iron Amazon. HSI Flat Iron . Same thing with the adjustable temperature. You can adjust it, but you would have to guess the temp.

It got a lot of good reviews. Surprised no one has purchased it on LHCF. I searched and got nada. It's all Chi, Fhi, etc.

ive had the babyliss nano titanium flat iron for about a year now and i think its really great. it gets my hair very straight no pressing comb required! the only think i do not like about it is that it doesnt have much of a "lip" on he side and i burn my fingers if im not careful.

My favorite is my old Babyliss Pro that I got from Marshalls for $24.99. Right now I'm using a Hot Tools one from Sally's which is also good. I get good results with any flat iron because I use a tension brush when I do decide to flat iron.

I use the Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium flat iron & it's durable & works exceptionally well on my 4a/3c mix hair as well as my sister's 3b hair. On my little cousin's 4c hair the Maxiglide produced a smoother result when used with the pin plate. The Sedu iron (base model) also produces a great result, but has variable longevity IMO; I would never purchase another one despite how well it can work because they're (at least they were) very glitchy.

What specs are you looking for in a flat iron ? Also, have you thought of selling your current irons eBay or Craigslist to cut your losses ?

DivineNapps1728 as for specs, i'm mostly looking for a flat iron that works! works with one pass and gets my hair as close to silky, frizz-free, straightness with as little heat as possible. (i know that's probably an impossibility.)

greight - i had the herstyler and was so impressed with it for a year, then i realized whenever i used it my hair was always a bit frizzy. i hardly ever heat style so that's why it took me a year to discover this. HSI is the new name for her styler, so i'll avoid that iron. but thank you for the recommendation!

babyliss seems to get a lot of weight in this post. i'm surprised. i wish i had more time to flirt with an iron, i guess i'll use my crappy, over priced Unite iron tomorrow and research some of the irons recommended in this post. :)

I have the babyliss pro with titanium plates. I like it a lot. Haven't used it since I went natural but it was very easy to flat iron my hair on 300 degrees and I got professional results. In fact my avi was after a flat iron with the babyliss.

DivineNapps1728 as for specs, i'm mostly looking for a flat iron that works! works with one pass and gets my hair as close to silky, frizz-free, straightness with as little heat as possible. (i know that's probably an impossibility.)

greight - i had the herstyler and was so impressed with it for a year, then i realized whenever i used it my hair was always a bit frizzy. i hardly ever heat style so that's why it took me a year to discover this. HSI is the new name for her styler, so i'll avoid that iron. but thank you for the recommendation!

babyliss seems to get a lot of weight in this post. i'm surprised. i wish i had more time to flirt with an iron, i guess i'll use my crappy, over priced Unite iron tomorrow and research some of the irons recommended in this post. :)

With your specs in mind my vote is still for the Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium flat iron or the Sedu. Both irons yield smooth results, have variable heat settings & require only 1-2 passes for pin straight hair. The Sedu iron does have a track record of malfunctioning without cause; the cord randomly shorts out & the iron no longer heats. The Babyliss iron does get hot all the way around as Napp mentioned & this can lead to burned fingers as you're getting used to using it.

Good luck with whatever you decide & be sure to post the results & technique used for your press ! Maybe someone can help you tweak your straightening reggie & you'll be able to get some use out of ur current flat irons after all.

The CHI or Sedu 1.5 both are great!! But I kept breaking my CHI dropping it on the floor, and having to rebuy it. So I decided to try a Sedu, been using it for the last year and I love it just as much as my CHI's I had previously.

Remington S8500 Shine Therapy Straightener is pretty good. Bought one recently and it smooths and gives shine at 305F. I like the fact that it is digital controlled as flat irons like GHD don't usually give that option. (Own one too)

Back