Cheap Flat Iron Vs Expensive Flat Iron

leona2025

Ok ya'll I been looking at HSN and that GHD flat iron. I need a new iron because mine is now cracked and peeling. I don't even remember where I bought it. I just picked up a cheap one from somewhere. So I was wondering should I invest in a more expensive iron? I don't flat iron often maybe once or twice a month. What is the difference in using a cheap iron vs using a more expensive one like the GHD or CHI or FHI?

Menina Preta

Cheap irons can have uneven heating spots, which won't straighten all the hair effectively, IMO. Perhaps you could try Solia...It's like 80 some on Folica. I have one and I love it. It's comparable to a Chi and a Sedu.

Dposh167

i agree. The solia is a good iron. I invested in it after years of using cheap irons like conair,or some gold plated crap at the bss store. After a couple of months the coating would come off...and it wasnt getting as hot as it did in the beginning. I think its worth buying an expensive one in the long run. If ur buying 3 cheap irons in 2 years at $25/ea....ur already spending 75. Which is what i spent on my solia and its been pefect for the past year.

leona2025

No one likes the GHD? I can get it for 4 flex pays of 50 dollars, lol. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

charmtreese

I ordered a 1" sedu on folica yesterday... they have free shipping and 10 bucks off until Monday on items that cost 75$ or more. It's also coming with a free flat iron holder all for 98 bucks!!!

IMO, higher end flatirons really do work better then the cheaper ones!!

charmtreese

No one likes the GHD? I can get it for 4 flex pays of 50 dollars, lol. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

I was gonna get the same one, but the no heat control scares me... and it has the same seams around the iron plates like the chi that snags & breaks my hair!!

leona2025

I was gonna get the same one, but the no heat control scares me... and it has the same seams around the iron plates like the chi that snags & breaks my hair!!

This may be happening to me. I always see hairs on my ragged flat iron. I didn't know that's was happening. I felt it get snagged a couple times, but I thought I was just using it wrong.:ohwell:

yuriko

Expensive ones tend to apply even heat, less often to damage your hair with better results. Also the process of straightening is faster with a better quality iron, we know you aint got all day

Eisani

I ordered a 1" sedu on folica yesterday... they have free shipping and 10 bucks off until Monday on items that cost 75$ or more. It's also coming with a free flat iron holder all for 98 bucks!!!

IMO, higher end flatirons really do work better then the cheaper ones!!

:yep: I bought the exact same one just now. My 1 1/2" is too big and on it's way out... I was so excited. I need to quit, I just got a T3 narrow wet to dry iron :perplexed

When it comes to flat irons, 99.8% of the time you get what you pay for.

loved

The sedu I bought during the folica sale last year is much better than any of the cheaper flat irons I have owned.

1 cheaper iron snagged my hair and the other, which was supposedly ceramic, did not smooth my hair like the sedu.

Last edited:

charmtreese

:yep: I bought the exact same one just now. My 1 1/2" is too big and on it's way out... I was so excited. I need to quit, I just got a T3 narrow wet to dry iron :perplexed

When it comes to flat irons, 99.8% of the time you get what you pay for.

Girl, Im soo excited too!!! My iron was shipped yesterday so I may receive it today!!! If not, I know it will be here tomorrow.

How do you like your 1.5" sedu?

caramelma

I had a cheap one from walmart when I first started out but then I purchased the wet/dry color brilliance by ion from sallys

Last edited:

Noir

Well the more expensive quality irons are genuine ceramic plates, whereas the cheaper irons are usually ceramic COATED. This makes all the difference as far as better straightening the hair less damage.

Now as for the GHD, I have to tell you that it is well well well worth the investment. In my siggy picture, I had used the GHD 2 weeks prior to taking the picture and my hair was still pretty straight.... not as straight or swangin' as it would normally up to a week after using it but I hadn't touched my hair for 2 weeks so you can the results last quite a while.

Also it is true that the GHD doesn't have a temp control but it has a self shut off, after the temp reaches 375.

You can do a search on here or even on google for more reviews and there are loads of GHD videos on youtube.

HTH

leona2025

Well the more expensive quality irons are genuine ceramic plates, whereas the cheaper irons are usually ceramic COATED. This makes all the difference as far as better straightening the hair less damage.

Now as for the GHD, I have to tell you that it is well well well worth the investment. In my siggy picture, I had used the GHD 2 weeks prior to taking the picture and my hair was still pretty straight.... not as straight or swangin' as it would normally up to a week after using it but I hadn't touched my hair for 2 weeks so you can the results last quite a while.

Also it is true that the GHD doesn't have a temp control but it has a self shut off, after the temp reaches 375.

You can do a search on here or even on google for more reviews and there are loads of GHD videos on youtube.

HTH

Now I'm gonna be looking at videos all day long at work. :lachen:

Eisani

Girl, Im soo excited too!!! My iron was shipped yesterday so I may receive it today!!! If not, I know it will be here tomorrow.

How do you like your 1.5" sedu?

Not jacking the thread, I promise :grin:...

I like it, it's just old and on it's way out and I want one to get super close to my roots w/o the risk burning myself like w/the 1.5" :nono:.

sheba1

Better results.

I got my FHI from www.frizzy2silky.com for $72 (cheapest I've found)

Thank you soooo much for this link! I bought my fhi there this morning! $72 and free shipping was about the same cost as the knock off fhi (sally's GVP 207RVI) I was going to buy. And it goes up to 440 degrees rather than Sally's 410. Not that I'd turn it up that high :look:. But, hey, I got my FHI! I'm souped!

Extremus

Thank you soooo much for this link! I bought my fhi there this morning! $72 and free shipping was about the same cost as the knock off fhi (sally's GVP 207RVI) I was going to buy. And it goes up to 440 degrees rather than Sally's 410. Not that I'd turn it up that high :look:. But, hey, I got my FHI! I'm souped!

welcome! :grin: