How long does it take you to detangle?

Tai

Detangling my hair is the only problem I'm currently having with transitioning.
Before it took 5 minutes to detangle my hair. Now it takes forever.
I've stopped counting because it's just a pain. The front isn't bad but the back is having texturizer rebound hair (I like that better than the s word).
I'm using my shower comb and going section by section. It appears that I'm doing everything right. Should I advance to the K cutter comb if I can find it or should I just get used to the longer detangle time?

How long does it take you to do detangle? And for my other transitioners what are you using to make detangling easier and less time consuming?

TIA

inthepink

Tai - do you comb in the shower while your hair is full of conditioner? When my hair was long while I was transitioning, I finally found the "cure" towards the end. I would only wash/co wash my hair in two sections (side by side), detangle with my jilbere and then once I rinsed out the conditioner, while the hair was still soaking, I'd add a dallop Suave Awapuhi to each side. (I'm sure you could use any cream leave in or even just regular conditioner.) This would help my hair stay detangled.

Once I'd get out of the shower, I'd spray my leave-in (Biolage) and then comb through. No tangles. And believe me, I know tangles!!

Right now, since my hair is shorter, I don't have much of an issue with tangles. Plus, the majority of my hair is natural so that has made detangling much less of a chore.

HTH

Innocent_Kiss

It doesn't take me long only because my new growth is short. I wish I had more advice to give
Do you detangle from roots to end or from ends to roots?

Tai

I detangle from the ends up. I test to make sure it's detangled by combing from the roots down. If I find a tangle, I stop and start from the ends.

GodMadeMePretty

That is what sucks to me about transitioning. It used to take me forever to detangle also. But I'm going to agree with Hairlove. That Suave conditioner is simply excellent at keeping the hair detangled. I picked up the coconut version and detangling has not been much of a problem lately. Other conditioners pale in comparison.

Also, I got a pick as someone suggested. It's just like the K-Cutter, but it is easier for me to handle.

Kha

Less than 5 minutes..but it's only due to finding the right conditioners for detangling my hair. Lustrasilk w/Aloe is still hands down the best con for detangling for me.

Queenie

It takes me 5-10 minutes, with the k-cutter comb and less time with the denman brush (but I lose more hair). I wash in sections which makes the most difference, and detangle under the shower stream.

babyblue

It takes about 5 minutes for me to detangle my hair. I use one of those big orange wide tooth combs and comb from the ends up with conditioner in my hair in 4 sections.

SilkyandSmooth

I feel you. It's taking me longer and longer to wash and detangle my hair. I try to be as patient as possible because I don't want any breakage. I use the Jilbere shower comb to detangle which helps a lot.

Tai

I'm going to try detangling under the water next time. Maybe that will make things a bit easier.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
Less than 5 minutes..but it's only due to finding the right conditioners for detangling my hair. Lustrasilk w/Aloe is still hands down the best con for detangling for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that
....It depends on if Im tenderheaded that day or not..but usually it takes me about 10-15 minutes.

Can you believe I bought the Old version of the Lustrasilk from the BSS? It worked like crap
I like the new formula waaaay better.

Ayeshia

Okay I just noticed that I have half the length of you ladies and It takes me the longest. I think Im just slow

Kha

I've only seen the older version in photo albums so I've never tried it. Maybe some who say they hate it was due to them using the older version

Nay

I takes me a LONG time. 5 minutes? PLEASE. I'm in the shower for a good 45 minutes at least, going section by section, inch by inch. I don't really get tangles at the end or the top of my hair. It's the middle of the sections that needs the extra effort.

SouthernGirl

My hair is relaxed but I still take about 20 minutes to detangle section-by-section. I know this sounds like a long time, but I try to make sure I don't get frustrated and lose hair unnecessarily. I also use Suave Natuals Milk and Honey shampoo and conditioner and it's a super detangler! I also use Surge 14.

skegeesmb

Man it takes me at least an half hour to detangle my hair now. I don't know why though. I usually would take 15-20 minutes at the most to detangle. I guess because I'm texturized and natural.

When I was all natural, it took me 10 minutes to detangle. Oh how I miss my old hair.

Honeyhips

Lovely
when my ends are clipped it literally takes seconds, maybe a minute. When they are raggedy it depnds on how much conditioner I put in my hair. It can take up to 10 minutes.

My hair is a little below bra strap and natural.

DahomeyAhosi

It really depends on what products I use and honestly I don't like to comb my hair when it's freshly washed because it's at its weakest then so I usually wait a day or two. If I use a protein reconstructor (Affirm 5 in 1) it can take 2 hours to detangle but if I am dealing strictly with moisturizing conditioners and regular leave-ins it takes about 45 minutes to moisturizer and detangle. I am very slow because I finger comb before using a real comb.

pressncurl

Recently, I've begun detangling out of the shower. My showers were just too long when I was doing it there. Anyway, since I wash in four sections anyway, I leave it in the sections to detangle. It takes me about about 3 minutes per section, using pantene spray leave-in or giovanni direct. The products do the majority of the detangling.

deborah11

When I was transitioning, there came a point when detangling became a MAJOR issue, and nothing seemed to work. This occurred around months 6-10. Gradually, it got better as my natural hair grew. At the end of my transition, 20 months, detangling was not an issue. I decided to texturize because my hair is cottony soft (dense, with thick appearance) and responds to the elements very rapidly, and frizzes very easily. I hope that u will find products that work for you. i found that the longhairs products (very expensive, shampoo and conditioner) really worked well for me and rinsing with conditioner under the running shower water.

Tai

I noticed that after I do even moderate protein treatments like Affirm 5 in 1 and Elasta's Breakage Control it takes me much longer to detangle my hair.

Allandra

I don't know how long it takes me to detangle my hair. I just make sure I'm gentle with my hair while detangling. Most of the time, I use a conditioner with cones (or a rinse) so I can get some major slip (my hair loves cones).

abainaa

I never detangle my wet hair/ Since I have stopped and restarted relaxers so many times it is unevenly processed and whenever I wash it, no matter how well moisturized it is, I can get the comb down about two inches before it stops and wont go any further.
So I always wait until my hair is almost dry (airdried) to comb it and I find that it kind of detangles itself while its drying.
I have lately discovered (from this board
) braiding my hair in two big braids when it is 90% dry and it smooths out so much when i take it out the next morning. Thanks ladies!

MizAvalon

It probably takes me about 25-30 minutes, but that's because I am very careful and I use tons of conditioner. When I am many weeks post relaxer it can take longer.

Babygurl

It doesnt take me long to detangle, when I am 12= week spost relaxer, Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo is my CURE ALL!!! IT detangles almost 2 inches of new growth like a dream. I just shampoo, comb through, condition, comb thorugh again and bun it. After I shampoo I dont have a problem with tangles.

Kha

45 minutes? WOW, I just can't imagine
. My middle-back section is also the most difficult, but I just slather on more conditioner and it almost detangles itself. The force from the shower head helps a lot too. That has to be very tiring when you have to spend so much time detangling and then have to style or whatever after that. You have my sympathy with all that hair you have. My hair is currently just below bra-strap, but little stories like that sometimes makes me wanna rethink my hair goals.

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
An hour, soulchild?
How do you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, my fine strands get tangled up very easily and I also do very small sections at a time and try to be gentle.