Need some help... I want healthy hair!!

ZeeontheGrow

Hi all,
I've been away from these boards for a while, but back again and ready to begin my healthy hair journey. I haven't relaxed my hair in 8-9 months because I was pregnant... and have worn weaves pretty much back to back. I didn't really take much care of my hair -- I'd wash it every 2 or 3 weeks and spray infusium 23 between the tracks once or twice a week when I remembered. Just before I found out I was pregnant I cut my hair in a very short style, maybe 2-2.5" tops, and now I have a thick crazy fro that I just let my stylist braid up and weave. I have no clue how much new growth I've got.
So now I'm seriously ready to take care of my hair, but not sure where to start :ohwell:. I didn't intend on going natural, but still breastfeeding so would prefer to stay chemical free. I'm considering wearing weaves, braids, etc but taking better care of my hair underneath. Anyone take this route? Tips would be appreciated.
Also, how long should you wait to press your hair after you take down an intall? I know they recommend a week or 2 for a relaxer, but is it okay to take a weave out and press the same day??

ms.blue

I wore braids and weaves back to back and I believe is best to wash & con your hair every two weeks w/ a mild shampoo(when I had kinky twists I would dilute shampoo and a little bit of conditioner in a applicator bottle with water to wash my scalp and use diluted conditioner on my hair to rinse out). Put some sort of leave-in unto your hair and seal with a lite oil. Spray the hair w/ either water or some sort of leave in twice a day(i preferred water b/c it doesn't cause build up). For pressing or flatironing maybe wait a day or two after taking out the braids and deep condition really well w/ both a protein and moisturizing conditioners before using heat. I hope this helps

trendsetta25

I started my HHJ in Dec 2008 and I was able to do it with the help of box braids and weaves. I'm now APL (not claiming it until I get a relaxer at the end of the month).
Here's what I do:
1. Before installing I would pre-poo with Amla Oil overnight
2. Wash it out the next morning and DC with ORS Hair Mayo, Honey and EVOO
3. Clarify poo and then use HE Hello Hydration shampoo
4. Apply leave-in condish, air dry and then prepare my hair for the install

I usually keep my installs in for no more than 6 weeks just because I get tired of the style and want to change it up. When the install is in I would apply my MT/MN mix to my scalp 2-3 times a week and would spray my hair with a moisture mix I created (glycerin, rosewater, hot six oil, peppermint oil, infusium 23) when needed. I never washed my hair while having the weave in (thus me doing a clarifying shampoo in the above step).

I would wait 1 week to re-install the weave or braids in my hair. Usually I would bun that week or when my hair was shorter I would rock a wig or half wig until my next install. Since I’m relaxed, I would wait 5-6 weeks before I re-install a weave.

Hope I helped :ohwell:

ZeeontheGrow

thank you both! I find it very hard to wash my own hair when wearing a weave. It takes forever to dry, and then I still have to worry about styling... so I can really only see myself washing when I go to the salon. I typically wear a style for 6 weeks, and will wash it 2x during that period b4 taking it out. I plan to take my own installs down and wash, so will take note to your regi trendsetta.

I don't know if it makes sense to relax my hair if I'm just putting another weave in... but is it bad to stretch for so long? I really only want to press to see my length...

Also, I've never tried a half wig. Do you gals recommend any? Preferably straight looks.. I don't think big hair suits my face...

TIA