Need Some Inspiration

MomofThreeBoys

Hi Ladies. I've been very impressed with what I've seen on this board. The depth and breadth of information you have here is extraordinary. I've enjoyed viewing your albums and your success stories. Today I'm looking for some inspiration. I've never been able to grow my hair past chin length until now. I've always always always had breakage. I'm even having some now but through the board I think I'm confortable in what I need to do to keep it under contol. I'm excited that my hair is just past my shoulders (not very thick though) but also skeptical about ever achieving my ultimate goal of bra strap.

I'd love to hear from those of you who had trouble growing hair (had never reached shoulder length) in the past but now are at or well on their way to brastrap length and beyond:look:!

Thanks in advance!

BklynHeart

Hey Natalied!! The one thing that saved my hair was roller sets. I've been doing that since 1990, and my hair has thanked me for it! And I always deep condition every week. It does take time and patience to grow your hair. Obviously you are doing something right for your hair to get past your shoulders!! Keep up whatever you're doing!

webby

Think Slim
co-signing with BklynHeart. I had very long hair as a child, but when I started going to the "professionals" it seemed that my length was never quite as long, and my hair didn't look nearly as healthy. I started going to a dominican salon, where the regimine was strictly roller setting and blow drying, which I eventually updated to have only my roots blown out. I acheived the same length that I had as a child.

I still go the salon for a touch-up or to have my semi-perm color put in, but I do my own hair other than that and I am growing it back out from a BC. It's important that you understand your own hair, learn from the ladies here and never compromise. Just because a roller set works for me, doesn't mean it will work for you, but there is a regimine for your particular hair type and its needs.

cutebajangirl

I never had hair as a child. Look at my profile pic, that is the hair I had until I was about 13 and started wearing braids. Now I am at bra strap and hope to pass it by time I take out these braids.

Lorraine

NatalieD, I don't know what you're currently doing but here is some advice I hope will help:

* stay away from scissor happy stylists (trim as needed and not on their schedule)
* if you relax, track how often (when you have new growth or based on a calendar?)
* keep ends moist and hidden (bun it up)
* take a look at your diet and try modifying it (more water, less sugar and caffeine)

This is what I worked with when I first joined LHCF. I gained about five inches or more since I became a member, and I too thought my hair could only reach a certain length.

I hope it helps. :)