New Aveda Smooth Infusion: Naturally Straight (full curl reversion)

Kurlee

Naturally Straight Demo Q&A
Q: When is Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight going to be available?
A: Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight will be on counter June 1, 2014.

Q: If more tension were used on the hair, could you achieve smooth hair without using the flat iron?
A: Yes.

Q: If Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight straightens by plant fibers attaching to the hair shaft and making it harder for the hair to curl, over time will it cause buildup or thickening? Or if a more clarifying shampoo is used would that affect the performance?
A: It is true that the plant fibers attach to the surface of the hair. Remember that every time you shampoo, you remove a bit of product from the surface of the hair, so it is important to reapply every time you shampoo.

Q: Can you shampoo everyday when using this Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight?
A: Yes, the product remains in the hair until you remove it by shampooing.

Q: Is it okay to mix Smooth Infusion™ Style-Prep Smoother and Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight together and apply in a single step?
A: If you are using Smooth Infusion™ Style-Prep Smoother, apply that to the hair first. Follow with an application of Naturally Straight. This is best recommended for the guest who has a coily texture of hair.

Q: Does the Smooth Infusion™ Glossing Straightener get used at all with Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight?
A: Smooth Infusion™ Glossing Straightener is recommended for the guest who occasionally straightens their hair. Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight is recommended for the guest who straightens their hair on an every shampoo basis.

Q: Would you say Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight can replace the Demi Smoothing treatment?
A: This product would not replace the Demi Smoothing treatment. This is a great alternative for the guest who does not want to commit to a chemical relaxer. This is a styling product.

Q: Will you be able to wear hair with curls with a hot tool when using Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight?
A: You will not be able to wear curls when using Naturally Straight. The plant fibers attach to the hair to keep the straight style making it difficult to create curl.

Q: If a guest wants her curls or coils back will the hair be altered? For example will the curls be looser or will they bounce right back?
A: If the guest uses the product five consecutive times, it will take approximately three shampoos for their hair to revert back. The curl will fully revert back to its original state.

Q: Does Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight contain a thermal protectant?
A: Yes, wheat protein.

Q: Is Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight applied to sopping wet hair? Or damp hair?
A: Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight is applied to hair that has been towel dried. Hair does not have to be sopping wet.

Q: Over time will Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight make hair permanently looser?
A: Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight is a styling product designed to straighten curls with every use. It is not permanently altering the structure of the hair; this affects the outer surface of the hair only. You may go back to your curls at any time.

Q: Is Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight heat activated?
A: Yes, a blow dryer is required to help create the straight style. You may also use a flat-iron.

Q: Could Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight be marketed as an alternative, to chemical relaxing, especially to those guest wanting to transition back to natural hair?
A: This is a great product for the guest transitioning from a chemical relaxer to their natural hair.

Q: Can you use this product along with the daily home care products?
A: Yes we recommend the Smooth Infusion™ franchise.

Q: Is the trick that Tippi showed to estimate the amount of product used something you would say would be a good guesstimate for all products? Like shampoo, conditioner and treatments?
A: This is Tippi's technique for determining density. Aveda recommends you also take into account length of hair when determining how much product should be used.

Q: If someone only shampoos once a week, but rinses and conditions their hair in between... when would you use naturally straight?
A: Smooth Infusion™ Naturally Straight was designed for the guest who has curly hair but wears it straight on an every wash basis. The guest who wears curls would not be a Naturally Straight user.

Q: How many hours is the humidity defense?
A: All day humidity defense.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I'm going to get it. It's not a texture softener it is a styling product. I am not going to buy it without ingredients though so...I am not getting it until after it comes out in the U.S.

luckiestdestiny

I just don't understand how it progressively straightens curl but hair reverts back. Why does it mention after 5 uses when mentioning the hair will revert back What about after 10 uses, etc

The word "progressive" has me side eying but I am still open to researching

Channy31

Very interesting, I next to never wear my hair bone straight unless I have to (which is about once every 3 months atm) but I can defiantly see it being useful for those who wear their hair straight a lot.

This excites me too as it demonstrates some more progression in semi-permanent straightening treatments :)

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I tried it recently. It doesn't get your hair bone straight at all. That's pretty much technique and proper tool usage (to get to bone straight).

But it does help smooth the hair so you don't have the dreaded frizzies. I would have to use this at home to see how much I really like it - but the initial trial went well and I would try again.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
There's an Aveda salon near my house :look: I might could get there tomorrow and take a pick of the product ingredients list. and buy it too if it looks good.... :sekret:

Although all other Aveda stylers have caused me breakage, I'm willing to try yet another. *shrug* I retain better being a straight haired natural anyway. Worth the short term risk for me...

Dove56

I just purchased this. I've been using Tresemme 7 Day Smooth Treatment after washing and deep conditioning and it's THE bomb. Tresemme makes my hair look like a fresh Brazilian Blowout and it bounces back curly after I wash it. I use it with my Instyler (Instyler won't crush curls or destroycurl pattern). I will try this Aveda Naturally Straight and report back! :yep:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I kept forgetting to go to the Aveda.salon. Won't be able to get there until mid next week.

Anyone know how much it is?

How much is the tresseme one Dove56?

Dove56

I kept forgetting to go to the Aveda.salon. Won't be able to get there until mid next week.

Anyone know how much it is?

How much is the tresseme one Dove56?

DarkJoy I purchased this for $26 for 5 oz of product. I looked on Instagram #avedanaturallystraight and folks have beautiful results!

MissC320

I received a coupon for a free sample of this. When the lady in the store saw my 'fro she gave me 2 samples plus 2 of the prep. Lol!
I gave all of it to my mom who is a straight hair natural.
... Lol there are enough 'Becky's and Jane's' running around...I'll stick to my natural lovely....for now...

:)

Dove56

I received a coupon for a free sample of this. When the lady in the store saw my 'fro she gave me 2 samples plus 2 of the prep. Lol!
I gave all of it to my mom who is a straight hair natural.
... Lol there are enough 'Becky's and Jane's' running around...I'll stick to my natural lovely....for now...

:)

A Black woman with straight hair will never be mistaken for a "Becky" or "Jane".

MissC320

A Black woman with straight hair will never be mistaken for a "Becky" or "Jane".

Never said they would. I don't feel my hair needs to be straight in order to be manageable. God already made plenty of people (typically Beckys and Janes) with naturally straight hair... I'm going to enjoy mine the way it was created. If straight hair is what you like good for you. I'm prone to changing my mind but this is the way I feel right now :)

Dove56

Okay, so far so good! I used my regular dandruff shampoo by Aveeno then my Kanechom conditioner. Afterwards I applied the Aveda Smooth Infusion Naturally Straight. I applied about 1 penny size to each section and combed it through from root-to-tip. I did about 5 sections on either side of a vertical part.

The smooth infusion is very viscous. The product spread easily and made my hair easy to detangle and it's moisturizing as well. I blow dried my hair then used my Instyler. It didn't really dry any faster; at least not after the first use. My hair was not as shiny and silky as it was with the Tresemme 7 Keratin. I'm not sure if I used too much product. Next Sunday, on my wash day, I will use less and see how it works. When I touched up some areas with my flatiron (something I rarely do) it looked shinier than the Instyler styled hair. With my Tresemme I can use my Instyler and get blingy results without altering my curl pattern.

I will report back next week and let you all know what my hair looks like after the first wash. So far Tresemme leads the pack in my opinion.

Last edited:

Nazaneen

^^@Dove56Do you find that the Tressemme leaves a coated feel?
I just hate things that heavily coat my hair. I have a feeling this Aveda stuff would leave that gross effect.

Dove56

^^@Dove56Do you find that the Tressemme leaves a coated feel?
I just hate things that heavily coat my hair. I have a feeling this Aveda stuff would leave that gross effect.

Arlana

No, hair did not feel coated with the Tresemme at all. I'd say it feels more coated with the Aveda product but it's not bad. I tend to get a little product happy and go overboard. Both products are pretty concentrated so a little goes a long way!

Amcd

Dove56

Have you exercised with it? Can the roots hold up with sweating? Also, can you really only wear it stick straight as it says in the information about it? Were you able to have curls/body with the tresseme? Thanks.

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Tresemme 7 day straight is better? Well, what do ya know? I would have never thought. Sometimes, you really can just save your money.

Thank you Dove56 :creatures!

ETA: The Tresemme does have a significant amount of keratin in it though, so let me know your thoughts on the possibility of protein overload with the product.

Last edited:

Dove56

Tresemme 7 day straight is better? Well, what do ya know? I would have never thought. Sometimes, you really can just save your money.

Thank you Dove56 :creatures!

ETA: The Tresemme does have a significant amount of keratin in it though, so let me know your thoughts on the possibility of protein overload with the product.

So far I am like Tresemme much better. My hair is medium in strand density and very, very strong naturally. For that reason my hair does not do well with too much protein. My hair is very soft with Tremesse. It does have glycerin and mineral oil to offset the keratin. I don't mind mineral oil because I shampoo once a week anyway.

Dove56

Dove56

Have you exercised with it? Can the roots hold up with sweating? Also, can you really only wear it stick straight as it says in the information about it? Were you able to have curls/body with the tresseme? Thanks.

You can keep your curls/body with Tremesse. My hair snaps right back. It also holds up well with exercise. I haven't exercised with the Aveda yet but I will this evening.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
So far I am like Tresemme much better. My hair is medium in strand density and very, very strong naturally. For that reason my hair does not do well with too much protein. My hair is very soft with Tremesse. It does have glycerin and mineral oil to offset the keratin. I don't mind mineral oil because I shampoo once a week anyway.

Dove56

That is very, very god to hear :yep::yep:. My hair is similar so this Tresemme is sounding like a winner to me.