New Discovery Re Heat and Deep Conditioning

Pumpkin

I have NEVER been able to do my hair myself and achieve the same look and texture as any stylist and I could not figure it out until now: I do not need heat with my deep conditioners.

Before my hair would always look tired, limp and dry. I noticed that after the deep conditioning with heat, my hair would feel like a doll's hair. Last week I tried Tropical Avacado with no heat and my hair came out really soft. This week I tried ORS Mayo and my hair looks GREAT /images/graemlins/grin.gif It is soft, wavy and looks well moisturized.

Because I am not using heat am I loosing the benefits of the conditioner??

VALLEYGIRL

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Because I am not using heat am I loosing the benefits of the conditioner??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well from what I've learned heat is supposed to open up the cuticle so your hair shaft can absorb the treatment.
Since different conditioners serve different purposes (moisturising, protein, acidifying) I guess it will depend on what treatment you are using. Protein wil work better with heat IMO so your hair can really absorb it.

I would say that if your hair is not badly damaged then you should be able to condition without heat. But what I do when I treat my hair badly is I make sure to use a treatment with heat.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
my hair would feel like a doll's hair

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of doll? I am guessing you mean in a bad way? Not silky smooth and shiny like Barbie?

daviine

Pumpkin, where did you find the Tropical? Was it the Avocado? Because I've been looking for it but I think I'm jut going to take a trip to the Bronx when I get my car back.

Pumpkin

I never had Barbie cause we were broke. I always had the imitation one and when I got tired of it her hair would look all hard and jacked up...something like my hair would look with heat /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Daviine: Don't go all the way to the Bronx! I bought the Tropical Avacado on Nostrand Ave somewhere between Church and Martense. I don't remember the name of the store exactly because I found it by accident. I can only remember by sight. It is on Nostrand, on your left side walking from the train station. I think it was closer to Martense. There are a few Dominican salons around there and one block over on Rogers so I assumed they would have it and they did. There are a few beauty supply stores that may have it also. I hope this helps /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daviine

Thank you so much for the info. My son's babyitter lives there. Unfortunately, I have no car so I can't go out and get it today but I'll have to wait. I think I have a good idea of where you're talking about. Thanks love!!!!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hey Pumpkin!

I have heard that you are not supposed to use HOT heat when doing our conditioning treatments. It should be more like warm , because HOT actually causes itsy-bitsy damage. So maybe try turning your hooded dryer down a notch.

To Pumpkin, where did you get your tropical conditioner from. I also live in brooklyn and have never seen it. I use the wheat gluten a nd the carrot one. I like both. I bought it in the Dominican Republican though and have been dying to find it in bk

Tracy

I agree with VG on this one....

I use my heating cap on warm for protein conditioners only - to aid in serious penetration. I find my moisturizing conditioners are better on me when I don't use heat - but leave them on a tad longer (a half hour to an hour or more) with a plastic cap and a scarf tied over it. I try to do this when I have chores to do so the physical activity produces body heat which benfits my hair. You could do this while working out as well.

I don't find that not applying heat all the time to everything is a hinderance to me. I actually find that I lose some shine post drying when I use heat with my moisturizing conditioners. The end result is a bot duller hair than I like... /images/graemlins/smile.gif