New Experiment with Shea Butter!

Angelicus

I don't like pure shea butter but I love my shea butter mixes for my hair and skin. It usually consists of shea, olive oil, honey and a touch of fragrance.

Well I ran out of olive oil so I ransacked the house for the nearest ingredient and found...

Crisco! Butter Flavored Crisco!

I figured that I've always like the hydronated soybean oil in premade oil mixes so it shouldn't have been as different.Here I am making fun of all the stinky MTG people and I am putting Crisco in my hair :lol:

I nuked 2 parts of shea with 1 part of Crisco and some honey. Then I put it in the freezer for thirty minutes so that it could congeal faster.

I am totally addicted to how shiny and soft my hair feels after applying this on my hair, especially on my ends! It is laying down my 6f type hair! Nothing has ever done this before!

And my next experiment will be using Crisco with my mayonnaise as a pretreatment. Lord knows that we don't need to eat that fattening mess!

Isis

Now that's grease!! Maybe you're on to something Anky! This is how great inventions are born. :yep:

NessaNessa

simplycee said:
Interesting. Get back to us in a week or so and let us know how this is working out.
Good for you!!! I also want to know the long term effects on your hair.

AllAboutTheHair

it is made out of 100% pure vegetable oil,no petrolatum or mineral oil AND you get 40 oz. for under $5.00 !! I can see the logic behind your experiment. I would have to be without the butter flavoring though...

Let us know how it shampoos/conditioner rinses out, okay Anky?

Last edited:

BLESSED1

I remember my grammy saying something about this, that her and her girlfriends down south would use crisco every now & then to grease their hair with :yep:

Rezgirl

That is SO funny - my daughter was having an excema flair up and the MD said she went to a conference recently where this was a hot topic. She said that more than a few medical providers had found success in easing the dryness which contributes to excema by placing CRISCO on the affected area! As mentioned - it's all natural, cheap, a little goes a long way, can be found EVERYWHERE, etc...I never thought about putting it up in my hair but I guess it makes sense! Thanks for the tip-off!?!?!?! :D

sprungonhairboards

Crisco is just gross to me, always has been. Especially the thought of eating it.

Did you use the hard kind or the spray?
Does your hair smell like butter? :lol:

Angelicus

Of course I used the Crisco in the can and it faintly smells like butter. After nuking it with honey and shea, I can't really smell it. Its currently my substitute for grease. I have been using it on my body also. I will probably wash my hair tomorrow and see if it comes well.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Interesting anky! You make me wanna try it! Especially since you said you got a lotta shine! :yep:

Do think this would work on my short natural hair? :grin:

And I gotta try that mayonnaise one of these days! :weird:

AllAboutTheHair

Anky, make sure you let us know how that shampoos out and what shampoo you use. And what your hair feels like afterwards...because I am going to Wal-Mart tomorrow to get... :sekret: some more plastic party cups. What? I am out already^)&&^*&^)!! LOL

lthomas1

Hair Power!
Glad you had good result from your invention. Let me know how the pre-poo come out. I'll have to give it a try!

Angelicus

Hey Everybody :wave: I just did a pretreatment with Crisco, mayonnaise, peppermint oil and honey. I washed my hair with MNT shampoo and my hair was nice and clean,... without that squeaky feeling. My hair feels really good! wow. And my tub is slippery! :lol: so the crisco gets a thumbs up :up: because it rinsed clean.

AllAboutTheHair

Thank you Anky for the update. I bought a little 16 oz. can of Crisco (regular) today for $1.54. I will be shampooing with whatever I grab first and creating bantu knots today. I plan to leave them up for a week. I am going to mix with LouAna coconut oil. ("Kitchen chemists" has a whole new meaning now).

For ingredient conscious PJ's, here are the ingredients listed for Crisco :)

Partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, mono-and diglycerides.

Nutrition Facts: 15% Vitamin E
12g fat
3g Saturated Fat
3g Polyunsaturated Fat
4g Monounsaturated Fat

*I wouldn't use this with heat; highly flammable...