New Growth is matting at the roots no matter what I do. HELP!!!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Ladies, I'm having a few issues dealing with my New Growth. At only 5 1/2 weeks post relaxer, I have a little over an inch of NG. That's the good part. The bad part is that this NG is tangling and matting (sticking together) no matter what I do. This evening, I did a light protein treatment with ORS Mayo, then followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner left on for about 2 hours without heat. While my hair detangled and turned out very soft and supple, as soon as I combed out a small section, it would immediately tangle back up and begin to mat or lock together. I'm not sure what to do about this. I obviously do not want to relax so soon. But I can't think of anything else that will help. I managed to do a semi-rollerset and am now under the dryer.:perplexed

Any advice is always welcome and appreciated.

soulfusion

I had the same problems until I adopted Sareca's SAA. It stopped the severe tangling and matting that I couldn't control even though I kept my new growth moisturized.

Here's the link to the thread that started it all for me. Good luck!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=124441&highlight=silk+amino+protein

Ladies, I'm having a few issues dealing with my New Growth. At only 5 1/2 weeks post relaxer, I have a little over an inch of NG. That's the good part. The bad part is that this NG is tangling and matting (sticking together) no matter what I do. This evening, I did a light protein treatment with ORS Mayo, then followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner left on for about 2 hours without heat. While my hair detangled and turned out very soft and supple, as soon as I combed out a small section, it would immediately tangle back up and begin to mat or lock together. I'm not sure what to do about this. I obviously do not want to relax so soon. But I can't think of anything else that will help. I managed to do a semi-rollerset and am now under the dryer.:perplexed

Any advice is always welcome and appreciated.

hOnii

sounds like you may need to relax soon... i think that its the amount of growth that counts, not the amount of weeks post. thats a lot of new growth you've accumulated in 5 1/2 weeks! Thats enough to cause stress at the demarcation line for sure!

oh, and i do agree on the kenra mc! i couldn't believe how much slip my hair had after I deep conditioned with this last week!

meaganita

sounds like you may need to relax soon... i think that its the amount of growth that counts, not the amount of weeks post. thats a lot of new growth you've accumulated in 5 1/2 weeks! Thats enough to cause stress at the demarcation line for sure!

oh, and i do agree on the kenra mc! i couldn't believe how much slip my hair had after I deep conditioned with this last week!
I like Kenra MC too. But when my hair dreaded up, I used Red Palm butter. If you work it in with your conditioner (or even a la carte) and let it sit under a plastic cap, the hair just becomes so soft and the tangles and naps just melt away. I don't know what it is about that stuff, but it works! I don't even have to sit under a cap if I don't want to. Just work it in and start combing it out. But for relaxed heads wearing flat-ironed styles, I recommend using it with a conditioner, then detangle and rinse so the oils don't weigh down the hair, but you still get the benefit of hassle-free detangling.

The product is pretty cheap but shipping is kinda high. They have a ton of great butters and oils and stuff too. Here's the link to the site to order the Red Palm Butter: http://www.bestdeal.org/essential-camden/palm-red-bu-8.html

All the advice here sounds great, so I have nothing else to add, except, PLEASE give us an update! You have a lot of growth, what are you doing?:grin:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I like Kenra MC too. But when my hair dreaded up, I used Red Palm butter. If you work it in with your conditioner (or even a la carte) and let it sit under a plastic cap, the hair just becomes so soft and the tangles and naps just melt away. I don't know what it is about that stuff, but it works! I don't even have to sit under a cap if I don't want to. Just work it in and start combing it out. But for relaxed heads wearing flat-ironed styles, I recommend using it with a conditioner, then detangle and rinse so the oils don't weigh down the hair, but you still get the benefit of hassle-free detangling.

The product is pretty cheap but shipping is kinda high. They have a ton of great butters and oils and stuff too. Here's the link to the site to order the Red Palm Butter: http://www.bestdeal.org/essential-camden/palm-red-bu-8.html

Thank you so much! I have red palm butter at home and didn't know what to do with it. I think I will put in my conditioner. You guys are making want to go out and buy some Kenra stuff. I do still have store credit at that BSS where I bought hair for my braids. ;)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!

See, I wonder if the slip may be the problem. Sometimes when I use conditioners that give a lot of slip like ORS Replenishing Pak, my hair is so soft that it "sticks" or mats together. I wonder if that's the problem. But I think that I will monitor my hair for next few weeks, then go ahead and relax way ahead of schedule. I was trying to wait until October for my birthday, but we'll see...

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
:yawn:
have you tried blowing out ur roots?

I'm so scared to do that because I'm so tender-headed, but I thought about going to see an acclaimed Dominican stylist in this area who has gotten rave reviews for not pulling and snagging hair as she blow dries roots.:yawn:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
All the advice here sounds great, so I have nothing else to add, except, PLEASE give us an update! You have a lot of growth, what are you doing?:grin:

I will definitely keep you posted on this issue. I think that I am basically achieving the thickness that I want with some length, but not overwhelming length. I've improved my diet and exercise, drink lots of water. I've incorporated Boundless Tresses in my regimen and the trifecta of supplements: Biotin, B-Complex, and Pantothenic Acid (or B5) and take a good multivitamin called Alive that I purchased from VitaCost, www.vitacost.com.:drunk:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Now aren't you glad you didnt get ur hair braided??? Would have been a hot mess taking them out :nono:

Yep, I know. I am grateful to that stylist who warned me. My NG is a hot mess now, but think about how much more difficult it would have been had a gotten braids. I managed to rollerset last night. My hair itself is very healthy, but I still have some areas of NG that's matted and tangled. I think I'mma do as some of the ladies suggested and try to do some of the butters and alma oils. I find that Avocado Butter is also good.:look:

lala

Did you use a leave-in? My roots used to get like this (years ago) and I realized that my hair was dry and needed extra conditioning/oil. Maybe you should redo your hair, and if it still feels matted, then just blowdry the roots with a serum.

hOnii

See, I wonder if the slip may be the problem. Sometimes when I use conditioners that give a lot of slip like ORS Replenishing Pak, my hair is so soft that it "sticks" or mats together. I wonder if that's the problem. But I think that I will monitor my hair for next few weeks, then go ahead and relax way ahead of schedule. I was trying to wait until October for my birthday, but we'll see...

I had to stop using the ors... it was the source of my shedding, but Kenra is in another league! It's great!! I have alot of new growth myself, and I used it last week and it was heaven detangling. This week I used keracare & humecto to dc and it was back to being hard and matted.

When my hair is extremely post relaxer, I have to stop using my cream leave-in and go to my liquid (i use infusium). it gets more moisture through my hair, and discourages matting. Surprisingly, aveda usc seems to do well on my wet hair too, after the leave-in of course.

Angelicus

do your hair in sections, and when you get your hair relaxed, make sure you flat iron the new growth about 48 hours before you get it done. Great advice, everybody!

nikkablue

Hello,

I had the same problem, I tried Salerm 21 Leave-in conditioner and it made my new growth so soft that it stopped mating and locking after it dried. It's a creamy leave-in and a little went a long way.

HTH

pear

:yawn:

I'm so scared to do that because I'm so tender-headed, but I thought about going to see an acclaimed Dominican stylist in this area who has gotten rave reviews for not pulling and snagging hair as she blow dries roots.:yawn:

I am feeling your pain Serenity_Peace. I am only 4 1/2 weeks post and my new growth is out of control. I use to immediately run for a relaxer but after joining LCHF I am trying to turn from my wicked ways. My problem is that I haven't found that perfect "super slip" conditioner that keeps my new growth soft and allows me to detangle once the conditioner has been rinsed out.

I washed my hair today and had every intention of rollersetting. My new growth was so matted that there was no way that I could get a comb through small sections of my hair to rollerset. I would be typing this post bald-headed :nono:.

I am also considering getting my roots blown out and looking at your siggy seeing you are from DC/MD, I have a feeling that we are both thinking about the same salon.

missnurselady

I was just getting ready to do a search on this topic! I washed my hair two days ago and had this same problem, my hair has never done this to me. I think its because I 1. rinsed my hair in the sink:nono:(I usually do this in the shower) 2. Didnt detangle in the shower. I had a headache after I got done combing my hair out, then it matted right back up, so I had to blowdry my roots. I got a set of two strand twist yesterday so hopefully when I take them down in 6wks I will not have this problem....Off to do a search on take down regimens:look:

Lady Esquire

Yaaaaay, you have a lot of new growth in such a short amount of time!!!! There has been lots of great advice. I suffered matting for a number of months and experienced some discouraging setbacks.

Washing my hair, using the Crown and Glory method is great for combattng mats and tangles. I love using Sylver2's scarf method. Also I had reintroduced a small-tooth comb back into my regimen, to catch the small knots during rollersetting, because those small knots turn into really stubborn dreads if you do not catch them early and while wet.

Switching to Giovanni Direct Leave-In sealed with an oil gave my hair just enough slip, but kept my hair really light.

But the main thing I discovered is that the hair was dry. So increase pre-pooing and reevaluate your moisturizers and oils.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I am feeling your pain Serenity_Peace. I am only 4 1/2 weeks post and my new growth is out of control. I use to immediately run for a relaxer but after joining LCHF I am trying to turn from my wicked ways. My problem is that I haven't found that perfect "super slip" conditioner that keeps my new growth soft and allows me to detangle once the conditioner has been rinsed out.

I washed my hair today and had every intention of rollersetting. My new growth was so matted that there was no way that I could get a comb through small sections of my hair to rollerset. I would be typing this post bald-headed :nono:.

I am also considering getting my roots blown out and looking at your siggy seeing you are from DC/MD, I have a feeling that we are both thinking about the same salon.

Hey pear! :wave: You got to be talking 'bout Judith the Dominican stylist. I'm looking forward to seeing her next weekend. ;)

I wanted to give you an update. First, I actually think I'm doing something wrong. I'm thinking that the matting/tangling can be alleviated using a conditioner that provides moisture and "slip." WRONG!! It is *precisely* all the moisturizing products that I was using that was making my soft, fine hair mat together. So, last night, rather than putting any other leave-in, I simply mixed a combination of vatika coconut oil, avocado butter, and red palm butter and put the mixture through my roots ONLY. I tried not to put any on the actual strands because I didn't want my hair to be weighed down. I gently brushed through to smoothe and tied my hair up with a silk scarf. Well this morning I awoke to soft, supple, shiny hair and the comb just glided through my roots like butter! I was so happy. Now that I know how to care for my roots, I think I'mma incorporate this technique whenever my NG gets unruly. It truly has been the only thing that has worked. I may even pre-poo with this mixture, allowing it to sit overnight so that when I do wash and condition, then do my rollersets, my hair won't mat as much. What did I learn? Too much moisturizing product will mat and make tangling WORSE not better!!:drunk:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Yaaaaay, you have a lot of new growth in such a short amount of time!!!! There has been lots of great advice. I suffered matting for a number of months and experienced some discouraging setbacks.

Washing my hair, using the Crown and Glory method is great for combattng mats and tangles. I love using Sylver2's scarf method. Also I had reintroduced a small-tooth comb back into my regimen, to catch the small knots during rollersetting, because those small knots turn into really stubborn dreads if you do not catch them early and while wet.

Switching to Giovanni Direct Leave-In sealed with an oil gave my hair just enough slip, but kept my hair really light.

But the main thing I discovered is that the hair was dry. So increase pre-pooing and reevaluate your moisturizers and oils.

I LOVE my fellow Libras! Thanks so very much for this advice. And like I posted above, I do think that the moisturizers were giving too much slip. Those of us with soft hair experience more matting/tangling problems so I have to watch that. I think I'mma pre-poo using oils. I have to go and revisit Sylver2's scarf method. I don't recall what that entalled other than a scarf. :lol:

CurliDiva

Try Kids Organics Shea Butter Lotion - it works! After I add this to my hair it is buttery smooth and easy to detangle.:grin:

pear

Hey pear! :wave: You got to be talking 'bout Judith the Dominican stylist. I'm looking forward to seeing her next weekend. ;)

I wanted to give you an update. First, I actually think I'm doing something wrong. I'm thinking that the matting/tangling can be alleviated using a conditioner that provides moisture and "slip." WRONG!! It is *precisely* all the moisturizing products that I was using that was making my soft, fine hair mat together. So, last night, rather than putting any other leave-in, I simply mixed a combination of vatika coconut oil, avocado butter, and red palm butter and put the mixture through my roots ONLY. I tried not to put any on the actual strands because I didn't want my hair to be weighed down. I gently brushed through to smoothe and tied my hair up with a silk scarf. Well this morning I awoke to soft, supple, shiny hair and the comb just glided through my roots like butter! I was so happy. Now that I know how to care for my roots, I think I'mma incorporate this technique whenever my NG gets unruly. It truly has been the only thing that has worked. I may even pre-poo with this mixture, allowing it to sit overnight so that when I do wash and condition, then do my rollersets, my hair won't mat as much. What did I learn? Too much moisturizing product will mat and make tangling WORSE not better!!:drunk:

I am so glad that you figured it out :yay:. I am thinking about ordering some of the avocado butter that everyone keeps raving about and try that on my new growth or maybe pick up some WGO. If I may ask, what kind of brush are you using on your new growth?

BTW....yep Judy's is the salon I was planning on trying out. The way my new growth was acting when I washed my hair today, I am afraid to go to anyone right now.

I am sure that you have seen the thread on Judy's salon in the salon review forum. Please post and let me know how your appointment goes!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I am so glad that you figured it out :yay:. I am thinking about ordering some of the avocado butter that everyone keeps raving about and try that on my new growth or maybe pick up some WGO. If I may ask, what kind of brush are you using on your new growth?

BTW....yep Judy's is the salon I was planning on trying out. The way my new growth was acting when I washed my hair today, I am afraid to go to anyone right now.

I am sure that you have seen the thread on Judy's salon in the salon review forum. Please post and let me know how your appointment goes!

I use the Denman brush to distribute the oils and smooth only, not to detangle. I do about 3 or 4 gentle strokes, then tie my hair down with a scarf.

I will definitely keep everyone posted about my appointment with Judit.