Tips for cowashing when there is new growth

The type of comb and leave-in you use I think is key! After cowashing with a conditioner that has a lot of slip I use a leave in that give some slip on damp, but not wet hair, and detangle with a shower comb. Currently, I am using Qhemet products but in the pass I've used Cantu shea butter leave in, it's cheaper and works just as fine and was also good at laying down frizzy edges. Good luck!

I agree. Slip, slip, and more slip.

I part my hair in sections 3-4 sections, and focus on new growth. I finger-part even smaller sections, spray some plain water first (because when the hair is slightly damp, it absorbs products a bit better) and then I lightly coat my hair with oil, as a prepoo. But if it is just a co-wash, I do the same with condish instead. I sit under the dryer.

I also use a Dominican rinse (my fave is the Capillo Sole and Cinnamon). I detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb for about 30 seconds. Then rinse it out.

I either rollerset, then wrap. Or airdry with scarf. Either way, my new growth lays flat.

My hair is BUTTER!!!!

Last edited:
i actually do a prepoo with conditioner (rinse out or dc).sometimes i'll add honey which is good natural humectant
apply it to ng with applicator brush, then use the steam towel method for heat.
then i proceed my normal wash.

it's been working for me

This is what I do as well. I apply my prepoos with a tint brush directly to my NG first, then to the rest of my hair. With prepoo concoctions like avocado/egg or yogurt/molasses/conditioner or buttermilk/conditione/honey/oil, my NG is really tamed at 8 weeks post. I keep my roots moist during the day with a distilled water/glycerine/oil mixture and smooth them down with my Denman brush. Roots are really soft and flat, and my waves are poppin'!:grin:

This is what I do as well. I apply my prepoos with a tint brush directly to my NG first, then to the rest of my hair. With prepoo concoctions like avocado/egg or yogurt/molasses/conditioner or buttermilk/conditione/honey/oil, my NG is really tamed at 8 weeks post. I keep my roots moist during the day with a distilled water/glycerine/oil mixture and smooth them down with my Denman brush. Roots are really soft and flat, and my waves are poppin'!:grin:

Prepooing is my LOVER. :grin:

I agree. Slip, slip, and more slip.

I part my hair in sections 3-4 sections, and focus on new growth. I finger-part even smaller sections, spray some plain water first (because when the hair is slightly damp, it absorbs products a bit better) and then I lightly coat my hair with oil, as a prepoo. But if it is just a co-wash, I do the same with condish instead. I sit under the dryer.

I also use a Dominican rinse (my fave is the Capillo Sole and Cinnamon). I detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb for about 30 seconds. Then rinse it out.

I either rollerset, then wrap. Or airdry with scarf. Either way, my new growth lays flat.

My hair is BUTTER!!!!

So essentially your prepoo EVERY time? whether u wash with shampoo or conditioner? Wow!

Wow. Do you prepoo for every cowash too?

So essentially your prepoo EVERY time? whether u wash with shampoo or conditioner? Wow!

Yep. Not a heap of oil, but a light coating in small sections.

With heat = 20 mins

Without heat = any where from an hour to overnight, (depends on my hair).

When I have a lot of new growth, I mix oil with honey, coconut milk, and condish, to loosen the ng.

ITA with LadyEsquire about prepooing. I do this and just put a cap on my head and study, watch tv, or workout around the house. I then shower it out before bed. I've done hot oil treatments this way or I just add the oil to a bottle of conditioner that nearly finish. No matter what the results are the same once I finger detangle the hair in the shower and apply my leave in.

i'm interested in this...
can you speak more of this conditioner? how much? where it can be found?

Most BSS sell this. Here is a little more info from the website:

texasbeautysupplycom_1988_37503682

Roux Corrector & Conditioner Step 1 In The Triple Protection Hair care System
Controls Perm, Color and Relaxer results. Use before a chemical service to prevent chemical shock, to equalize hair porosity and ensure predictable results.

Moisturizes, detangles, lusterizes. Helps create more uniform color, perm and relaxer results. Leaves hair natural looking, vibrant and manageable.

Directions: Apply to damp hair before a chemical service. Leave in hair 30 seconds then rinse. Perform the chemical service (color, perm, relax, bleach). Can be used after a chemical service when additional conditioning is required.

edit: While the directions state to use before chemical service, I just used once because my hair felt 'spongey' to restore the porosity. My hair strand would never sink.

Also, after using for that purpose, I realized it gave unbelieveable slip, and since my ng was soo thick it had gotten to the point that this was the only thing that would help me really, really detangle.

I don't think it's the type of conditioner we're supposed to use on a regular basis (you know for those that co wash daily) but while the ng it outta control I will use.

Last edited:
Most BSS sell this. Here is a little more info from the website:

texasbeautysupplycom_1988_37503682

Roux Corrector & Conditioner Step 1 In The Triple Protection Hair care System
Controls Perm, Color and Relaxer results. Use before a chemical service to prevent chemical shock, to equalize hair porosity and ensure predictable results.

Moisturizes, detangles, lusterizes. Helps create more uniform color, perm and relaxer results. Leaves hair natural looking, vibrant and manageable.

Directions: Apply to damp hair before a chemical service. Leave in hair 30 seconds then rinse. Perform the chemical service (color, perm, relax, bleach). Can be used after a chemical service when additional conditioning is required.

edit: While the directions state to use before chemical service, I just used once because my hair felt 'spongey' to restore the porosity. My hair strand would never sink.

Also, after using for that purpose, I realized it gave unbelieveable slip, and since my ng was soo thick it had gotten to the point that this was the only thing that would help me really, really detangle.

I don't think it's the type of conditioner we're supposed to use on a regular basis (you know for those that co wash daily) but while the ng it outta control I will use.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Back