New Henna User..need advice

Ms Red

I REALLY want to color my hair but I'm scared...I almost picked up Adore this morning at the BSS but I put it down...I did the same with Colorshines because I couldn't settle on a color. So I finally got a little package of "Colora Henna Powder" (it was the only brand of henna they had). The color is Chestnut. Since my hair is pretty black (about 1b), the package says this will give my hair a "brown tint."

I don't really know what this means :ohwell: Any ideas? I might not go through with it now...the package doesn't say how long it will last or if it's temporary.

Any hints on how to apply it or if it will even make a difference in the color?

TIA

I REALLY want to color my hair but I'm scared...I almost picked up Adore this morning at the BSS but I put it down...I did the same with Colorshines because I couldn't settle on a color. So I finally got a little package of "Colora Henna Powder" (it was the only brand of henna they had). The color is Chestnut. Since my hair is pretty black (about 1b), the package says this will give my hair a "brown tint."

I don't really know what this means :ohwell: Any ideas? I might not go through with it now...the package doesn't say how long it will last or if it's temporary.

Any hints on how to apply it or if it will even make a difference in the color?

TIA

HEY Cupcake! :wave: If your hair is relaxed, I would most definitely NOT use that henna until you have harvested some hair from a hairbrush and done a nice, good strand test. From my understanding, if the henna isn't BAQ (body art quality) then, it is not suitable for relaxed hair and can cause the hair to melt.

Do you have any indian stores in your area? You are most likely to find the proper BAQ henna there. If not, then you gotta order. It's better to be safe than sorry. At least try a strand test and observe how your strands respond to it before you put it on your whole head.

HTH!

Hey CBC- :)

MELT?!?!!?!

Oh snap! :sad: Thank God I didn't do it yet. My hair is natural....but I do not need what hair I have to melt, WTH!! LOL Thanks so much for responding so quickly before I became 100% plastic.

*off to do research for good sites to order from*
HEY Cupcake! :wave: If your hair is relaxed, I would most definitely NOT use that henna until you have harvested some hair from a hairbrush and done a nice, good strand test. From my understanding, if the henna isn't BAQ (body art quality) then, it is not suitable for relaxed hair and can cause the hair to melt.

Do you have any indian stores in your area? You are most likely to find the proper BAQ henna there. If not, then you gotta order. It's better to be safe than sorry. At least try a strand test and observe how your strands respond to it before you put it on your whole head.

HTH!

Hey CBC- :)

MELT?!?!!?!

Oh snap! :sad: Thank God I didn't do it yet. My hair is natural....but I do not need what hair I have to melt, WTH!! LOL Thanks so much for responding so quickly before I became 100% plastic.

*off to do research for good sites to order from*

www.mehandi.com
www.hennaforhair.com

I order all of my henna and indigo from mehandi. The lady, Catherine Cartwright, is all about her business. She is quick, accurate, and has excellent customer service and will always include detailed, thorough instructions on how to apply to get various types of results. Her product is a great quality too.

BUT...with that said, if you are natural, go ahead and harvest some hair and do a strand test. You probably aren't in any danger of having melted hair if it's natural. I believe those kinds are just not compatible with hair that is relaxed....:rolleyes:

:kiss: Thank you!!! :rocker:
www.mehandi.com
www.hennaforhair.com

I order all of my henna and indigo from mehandi. The lady, Catherine Cartwright, is all about her business. She is quick, accurate, and has excellent customer service and will always include detailed, thorough instructions on how to apply to get various types of results. Her product is a great quality too.

BUT...with that said, if you are natural, go ahead and harvest some hair and do a strand test. You probably aren't in any danger of having melted hair if it's natural. I believe those kinds are just not compatible with hair that is relaxed....:rolleyes:

I wouldn't use it, henna will make your hair red anyting else mixed in may get be metallics - really bad results could come about if you are relaxed. Henna and indigo mixed will make your hair dark brown.

Golden rule in henna - only use 100% BAQ.

Thanks J Love... I threw it out and I'm going to the site that CantBeCopied posted to look for the BAQ Henna. I'm totally color/henna ignorant. :perplexed

How could I forget to ask you, the "Henna Shine Queen"! :spinning:
I wouldn't use it, henna will make your hair red anyting else mixed in may get be metallics - really bad results could come about if you are relaxed. Henna and indigo mixed will make your hair dark brown.

Golden rule in henna - only use 100% BAQ.

Thanks J Love... I threw it out and I'm going to the site that CantBeCopied posted to look for the BAQ Henna. I'm totally color/henna ignorant. :perplexed

How could I forget to ask you, the "Henna Shine Queen"! :spinning:

:lachen:@ "Henna Shine Queen", Thanks :)
Do you live close to any Middle Eastern stores? You can pick up some there and rest assured they are 100% BAQ. But I agree with CBC, Catherine knows her stuff. She and her staff are so helpful and will answer any questions you have. Great customer service and fast shipping :)

I pass by one every day so I'm going to stop in there to look at the henna asap. But right now, I am all up in your hair album drooling. :)

Also, your blowdrying album is going to be helpful to me, thanks!
:lachen:@ "Henna Shine Queen", Thanks :)
Do you live close to any Middle Eastern stores? You can pick up some there and rest assured they are 100% BAQ. But I agree with CBC, Catherine knows her stuff. She and her staff are so helpful and will answer any questions you have. Great customer service and fast shipping :)

Thank you Neroli, this is exactly what I need. :)

You're very welcome! If not for these websites with cheap but high quality BAQ as well as local indian stores, I wouldn't be able to afford to henna every week like I do!

BTW, at www.wellnaturally.com, go the "herbs and spices" link and then go to letter "H" and find "henna red powder" for the BAQ henna (lawsonia inermis) $6.95 for 453 grams (1 pound). Also under "H" look for "henna black powder" for indigo (Indigo fera tinctoria) $9.32 for 453 grams (1 pound) -- just can't beat these prices!

Back