New Protective Style/Natural hair rant

jetbeauty09

I'm so happy b/c I've finally found a style that I like and can serve as my protective style for the summer!!! YEY!!! Check out the attachments... I am claiming SL when stretched even though I'm not full SL. I can't believe I met my goal of making SL by my 25th bday (7/19). I did my BC 10 months ago and I had little to no hair!!!! BSL seems so far away:sad:

My rant is that people keep thinking I'm starting dreads! I associate dreads with a certain lifestyle (whether the person is actually living it or not...thats just my views, another post for that though) so it kinda offends me. But I don't let it show, I just tell them that its just 2 strand twists and that they haven't loc'ed. For those that wear twists as a style for some time, do you get this comment too?

Also, for you all that get tangles and have natural hair, how do you moisturize your hair daily? I'm at the in between stage of having a TWA and being SL. I know I have to DC & wash in sections but that takes soooo long. But if I don't and I just massage all my hair together, I get massive lil knots at the end of my hair! But I don't have time to section my hair everyday when its not in twists....Please help!!:wallbash:

Attachments

• P7161776.jpg
    P7161776.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 39
  • P7161777.jpg
    P7161777.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 30
  • P7161787.jpg
    P7161787.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P7161805.jpg
    P7161805.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 32
  • P7211915.jpg
    P7211915.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 30
First, cute style!! I really like it on you and it looks good on your face. I wear my hair in twists most of the time, but I only work with white people and they're still in awe of the multiple things I can do with my hair from one day to the next.

Regarding moisturizing, I use a heavy moisturizer that keeps my hair well moisturized for a few days (QB Amla Olive Heavy Cream) and seal with some oil. I use a spray on moisturizer daily and seal with oil that I've put into a mister, so it sprays like an oil sheen. I twisted my hair last week with Afroveda Shea Amla topped with QB Olive Honey Hydrating Balm, and my hair was still nicely moisturized when I washed tonight :yep:!

I used to get the dreds comment all the time and it pissed me off because I knew it wasn't coming from a good place. But I have long admired the clean structured (not so much free-form) dreadlocks and the lifestyle (other than the weed). I like to show off my length and my hair would break more with air drying so I started doing them blow dried like my avatar and the comments went away with that (and some education).

I run the conditioner down the length of my hair in sections but don't actually part. With some castor oil and wild growth oil I comb it out and plait it. I can do a twist out later, but just leaving it be makes knots for me if it's hot or dry :ohwell:

I may have to borrow that style sometime. Now as to washing in section I either wash loose in sections if that makes sense by just having my hair wet and loose but focusing on one section at a time. If I'm in twists I don't bother with that method of course that or I scrunchie my hair in sections and/or fat twist/braid them and wash that way.

I try to moisturize twice a day but mostly I only have time for once a day. I spritz with either water or a moister spritzer them follow with a light creamy leave-in focusing on my roots and ends. My roots tend to get dry in twists so I over moisturize them.

Gratz' on making SL and I love that style!

edit: I use to get the locking comment a lot even when I had kinky twists. That and other people suggesting for me to lock just because I'm natural. I love looking at locks but they're not for me. It's just the relatching process turns me off like touch ups did. Surprisingly though I've seen some freeformers who you couldn't even tell they were freeforming. I just learn to straighten them out or ignore it.

Last edited:
First, cute style!! I really like it on you and it looks good on your face. I wear my hair in twists most of the time, but I only work with white people and they're still in awe of the multiple things I can do with my hair from one day to the next.

Regarding moisturizing, I use a heavy moisturizer that keeps my hair well moisturized for a few days (QB Amla Olive Heavy Cream) and seal with some oil. I use a spray on moisturizer daily and seal with oil that I've put into a mister, so it sprays like an oil sheen. I twisted my hair last week with Afroveda Shea Amla topped with QB Olive Honey Hydrating Balm, and my hair was still nicely moisturized when I washed tonight :yep:!
I got the same compliment yesterday (bolded), thanks!!!

I’ll have to look into that cream you’re using, it sounds yummy (is that an oxymoron??). Do you spray your moisturizer on hair that is not twisted? If so, do you do anything to make sure it gets to your newgrowth or make sure its evenly distributed? When I redid the twists 2 nights ago, my hubby was like, “See, that’s how I like it right there. I like it to look moist, hydrated, shiny…” I just let him ramble and said thank you but I wanted to say, what til it dries…. lol It still looks shiny but not as moist and hydrated b/c its no longer wet. Its hard, if not impossible for me to keep my 4b texture looking shiny & moist. Oh well, I still love my do. Sorry for the rambling but thanks for replying!

I used to get the dreds comment all the time and it pissed me off because I knew it wasn't coming from a good place. But I have long admired the clean structured (not so much free-form) dreadlocks and the lifestyle (other than the weed). I like to show off my length and my hair would break more with air drying so I started doing them blow dried like my avatar and the comments went away with that (and some education).

I run the conditioner down the length of my hair in sections but don't actually part. With some castor oil and wild growth oil I comb it out and plait it. I can do a twist out later, but just leaving it be makes knots for me if it's hot or dry :ohwell:

Thats what bothers me (bolded)! lol I think they're pretty and I love watching the Youtube vids of those with them (appelesandmustard is so cute). I'm going to try using a blow dryer and see what that does for my length as well. I won't do it all the time like that b/c I don't like alot of heat on my hair.

Ok, I get it. Instead of massaging, I just need to run it down that section of hair. Thanks!!!!!!!

I may have to borrow that style sometime. Now as to washing in section I either wash loose in sections if that makes sense by just having my hair wet and loose but focusing on one section at a time. If I'm in twists I don't bother with that method of course that or I scrunchie my hair in sections and/or fat twist/braid them and wash that way.

I try to moisturize twice a day but mostly I only have time for once a day. I spritz with either water or a moister spritzer them follow with a light creamy leave-in focusing on my roots and ends. My roots tend to get dry in twists so I over moisturize them.

Gratz' on making SL and I love that style!

edit: I use to get the locking comment a lot even when I had kinky twists. That and other people suggesting for me to lock just because I'm natural. I love looking at locks but they're not for me. It's just the relatching process turns me off like touch ups did. Surprisingly though I've seen some freeformers who you couldn't even tell they were freeforming. I just learn to straighten them out or ignore it.

Thanks for the compliments, post a pic when you do it, I'd love to see it!!! I was actually doing to do a frohawk but just kept going when I saw what I had done.:drunk:

Back