New Stylist and Prepping for relaxer

cocoberry10

Okay Ladies:

I decided to let a professional apply my relaxer. I'm very nervous, because I'm going to a new stylist. Everyone I know that's gone to her has been happy, but they haven't been working on growing their hair like me, so I am a little scared. I decided to go to a professional to have my relaxer done, because my last two relaxers (with Phyto) came out horribly underprocessed. Prior to that I had stretched 34 weeks. My last relaxer was in early January, so I've stretched for 12 weeks. This past week, my hair has really started to break, so I'm desperately in need of a relaxer.

I want to prep my hair for the relaxer, so that it's a little softer, so that when she's parting my hair and applying it, it won't break off as bad. I really hope to see a lot of new growth and length, and would hate for all of it to have to be cut off. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! As always, thanks ladies!

Cocoberry

I'd like to hear some answers to this too, I'm relaxing my 15 weeks post hair next week too.

I'm thinking about flat ironing the roots before so that they don't rip through my hair as they apply the relaxer. Or I'm planning to detangle and moisturize throughly and divide into small section for the stylist so that she won't have to do as much parting.

I hope we get some more responses....

My best advice to you is to visit the new stylist for a shampoo and set or some other non-chemical service before you let him or her apply your relaxer. Despite what others have said about this stylist, you should first find out for yourself if this person is someone in whom you can have confidence with YOUR hair. While getting your non-chem service, ask questions, listen and observe how this stylist's other clients are handled.

In the meantime, make sure your hair is in good condition to receive a chem service. Since you're worried about breakage that may result from getting through your new growth, detangle and oil your scalp the night before. Put your hair up in four to six big braids to keep it detangled.

balisi said:
My best advice to you is to visit the new stylist for a shampoo and set or some other non-chemical service before you let him or her apply your relaxer. Despite what others have said about this stylist, you should first find out for yourself if this person is someone in whom you can have confidence with YOUR hair. While getting your non-chem service, ask questions, listen and observe how this stylist's other clients are handled.

In the meantime, make sure your hair is in good condition to receive a chem service. Since you're worried about breakage that may result from getting through your new growth, detangle and oil your scalp the night before. Put your hair up in four to six big braids to keep it detangled.

I have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much new growth to visit them for a shampoo and condition. I think overall my hair is in good condition, but there is so much new growth, that all I have been able to do for the last 3 weeks is wear a bun!

Furthermore, I don't want any heat put on my hair until I get a relaxer, b/c it will rip it out!

RabiaElaine said:
I'd like to hear some answers to this too, I'm relaxing my 15 weeks post hair next week too.

I'm thinking about flat ironing the roots before so that they don't rip through my hair as they apply the relaxer. Or I'm planning to detangle and moisturize throughly and divide into small section for the stylist so that she won't have to do as much parting.

I hope we get some more responses....

I thought about rinsing my hair with conditioner to soften it before so they don't rip through my roots either. Like my mom always says, great minds think alike! :) :)

bump, bump, bump!

cocoberry10 said:
I thought about rinsing my hair with conditioner to soften it before so they don't rip through my roots either. Like my mom always says, great minds think alike! :) :)

bump, bump, bump!

I don't know if I would recommend putting a water based conditioner on your scalp prior to a relaxer, it may make it easier for your stylist to part thru your hair, but your scalp will probably not appreciate it when it starts to burn.
I use oils prior to my relaxer if my hair is very thick at the roots.

I relax every 6-7 months and my root is THICK!!! I wash and DC 1 week before relaxing and I flat iron my root then so by the time relaxing day comes about, my root is soft. You can still see the NG from the relaxed end and it makes relaxing so much easier. Doing it any other way is a struggle to get the hair separated.

ivanay said:
I relax every 6-7 months and my root is THICK!!! I wash and DC 1 week before relaxing and I flat iron my root then so by the time relaxing day comes about, my root is soft. You can still see the NG from the relaxed end and it makes relaxing so much easier. Doing it any other way is a struggle to get the hair separated.

Thanks for the tip!

Back