New Stylist Questionnaire

ms_kenesha

As some of you know I am on the look-out for a new stylist. My question to everyone is what should I ask the stylist when I "interview" them?
The questions I have in my mind so far are:
[*] What type of relaxers do you use, do you use Affirm?
[*] Who applies the relaxer the stylist or the shampoo tech?
[*] Who washes out the relaxer?
What else should I ask? If y'all haven't guessed I'm also close to my touch-up time!!!

Thanks in advance! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

you didn't mention if you're going for just the relaxer, or looking for an overall stylist. anyway, in general, i would ask:

<ul type="square">[*]do you routinely base the scalp, or is that something that has to be requested? (it's too late to ask for this once the application process begins.)
[*]do you apply product to protect the previously relaxed hair?
[*]how often do you recommend the hair be trimmed? (if they say every 6 weeks, don't let em cut... SCISSOR HAPPY!)
[*]do you have a problem with me bringing my own products (if you plan to)?
[/list]

i'll try to think of more general questions later.

adrienne

Lucia

Your so right Adrienne,
but I've heard stylists say every month (4 weeks) /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gifcan you beleive that.
BTW if you also hear I like working with this or that type of hair...RUNNNN!!! /images/graemlins/angeldevil.gif

Camille

mS. kENESHA, I ALSO REMEMBER READING A THREAD WHERE SOMEONE HAD ALMOST A PAGE OF WQUESTIONS TO ASK STYLISTS. IT WAS REALLY HELPFUL TO ME. I USED TO FEEL WEIRD ABOUT ASKING STYLISTS QUESTIONS, BUT IF THEY GAT FRUSTRATED WITH ME, THEY ARE JUST CROSSED OFF MY LIST. I'VE HAD TOO MANY BAD EXPERIENCES WITH STYLISTS AND TOO MANY GOOD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME SINCE JOINING THIS BOARD TO MESS IT UP! /images/graemlins/smile.gif It's called "what you should look for and ask..." I'm sorry I couldn't post the link

ms_kenesha

Thanks everyone for the responses!!

Adrienne: Thx for reminding me to ask about basing the scalp! I would've forgot and been like /images/graemlins/blush.gif afterwards!!!

Armyqt: Thx for the link! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lucia: If anyone wants to trim every 4 wks I will be running out of that salon!!! Too many trims are a /images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Camille: thx for the response I'll search for that thread! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pmichael52172

Oh yeah, be sure to find out what's included and what's not. I can't believe some stylists that charge for each service like if you get a touch up the DEEP conditioner is extra, or a trim is extra, or even a trim is included up to a certain measurement and then it's extra. That's ridiculous.

It's like getting your hair done a la carte!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Karonica

I called Bubbles salon in DC on yesterday. Do you know that woman had the nerve to tell me that a trim was $25 extra! Grief!

Do you go to a salon in the DC area, pm?

pmichael52172

I go to one in DC near Rhode Island Ave. It's called Touch of Glory, the Salon.

I live in Laurel, MD but the owner/stylist goes to my church so I thought I'd support her business... and of course the main thing is that she does a good job. Before my stylist gave me a free coupon for my birthday, I was really interested in the salon B natural that someone highly recommended. It may have been Ms. Kenesha but I'm not sure. The directions sounded like it was fairly close to me. That would have been my next option.

Where do you go Karonica?

Karonica

I went to Charms and Plums in Oxon Hill, but I started seeing different people after I got tired of that lady. Is this lady good with styling, if not, are there any others that are in that shop?