How much would you pay....

Determined22

For a relaxer?

I want to try out a new stylist, but she wants $90 just for the relaxer (Affirm) and $120 for relaxer and style!

My old stylist in Atlanta would do it for $70!

Am I wrong for balking at the price?

That's about right. It sucks:wallbash: I remember those days. I hope your getting some colorshine and deep conditioning with that though.

My friend goes to this lady in Atl that charged $65 for a relaxer, dc, style, a trim!!!

Maybe you should look around some more? I personally wouldn't pay that much no matter where I lived, let alone pay that foolishness that stylist is talking a/b.

That's why I'm a DIY-er :look: I'd much rather spend that $$ on the products and not the labor...

At my last touch-up my stylist charged me $105 for it plus a trim, deep con, and style. I thought that was expensive, but it is a downtown salon and she has years of experience and uses quality products, plus I've been going to her off and on since 1984. I like feeling like at this point in my life I can splurge on something for me. But I do remember when relaxers were $40.

For a relaxer?

I want to try out a new stylist, but she wants $90 just for the relaxer (Affirm) and $120 for relaxer and style!

Whoa! I guess it does depend on your area, but that sounds steep to my ears for a retouch. So, she will relax your hair for 90 bucks and then send you on your way with WHAT? I would think the style is included, not an add on:nono:

I think the most I ever paid was like, $110.
That included the relaxer, protein treatment, trim and style.
Since I've been natural, I've paid as much as $85 for
deep conditioner, flat-iron, and trim. It was a really high-end
deep conditioner though. So I went and bought it for myself
so she can't charge me for it anymore.:grin:

I normally pay $85 for a relaxer, trim, color rinse, and conditioner. I think $90- 100+ is becoming the norm in some areas. I don't mind paying if I have a good stylist that uses quality products. I am able to wash/set, blowdry and flatiron my own hair at home, so my tolerance level for prices is higher because I don't go to a salon every week.

Ladies that $90 is for NO extra services, not even a style!

The $120 is for the relaxer plus style, but no trim and no DC.

I really think I'm gonna cancel this appt and try to find someone else. I really want an Affirm relaxer but I can't afford that steep cost with that particular stylist.

I pay $95 for relaxer, color and cond. That is a little steep for just a relaxer. I would do some shopping around.

and damn. :lol:

The cheapest I know of here in Houston is $25 at the Dominican shop (blow-outs are $15).

The most that I know of is @ The Root of You where everything is a la carte. A shampoo and style is $40 and up. A relaxer (alone) is $40 and up also.

I usually pay $4.99 and up to $5.99, depending on where I purchase it. Afterwards, I do or buy something special for myself for doing such a great job so that part can cost a little more. ;)

OT: Hey Northernbelle! Good to see you! :wave:

Maybe I'm just cheap/spoiled but where do yall live that relaxers cost that much? Is the salon in high rent district? I live 25 minutes out of Charlotte,NC and my stylist charges me $45 for a relaxer which INCLUDES a trim, conditioner, eyebrow shape-up and she massages your scalp!

If you're a regular like me and you need a color, you can bring your own dye/rinse and she won't charge you for it. If i need my layers redone, that's no charge either.

-Wash & Set=$30 INCLUDES a basic style(always includes scalp massage & eyebrow shapeup)
-Relaxer=$45
-Color=$10 Extra if NOT a regular and she provides color
-Flat twists/Whole Head=$35
-Cornrows=$45 (still includes eyebrows, and you can bring your OWN hair to the shop)
-Eyebrow shapeup=$2 (one for each eye LOL)
-Cut=$10 and up

Now once you drive that 30 minutes into Charlotte, a relaxer will set you back $60 and up NO EXTRAS. I don't live in the boonies so the location thing is throwing me off.

For a relaxer?

Dang!! I'm in Los Angeles, Ca [where they have the highest everything] and my relaxer is $45, that includes a trim [if needed] and deep conditioning.

ITA that some of these prices are outrageous. I paid $55 for a relaxer, dc, style and trim if i needed it. I would never pay more than $75 but I'm a DIY'er now so $7.99 ORS no lye babyyyy!! I guess it really depends on where you're from but $90 then extra for a doggone style. WTF :eek: Heck who's doing your hair Fekkai himself. shooot naw!:nono:

Maybe I'm just cheap/spoiled but where do yall live that relaxers cost that much? Is the salon in high rent district? I live 25 minutes out of Charlotte,NC and my stylist charges me $45 for a relaxer which INCLUDES a trim, conditioner, eyebrow shape-up and she massages your scalp!

If you're a regular like me and you need a color, you can bring your own dye/rinse and she won't charge you for it. If i need my layers redone, that's no charge either.

-Wash & Set=$30 INCLUDES a basic style(always includes scalp massage & eyebrow shapeup)
-Relaxer=$45
-Color=$10 Extra if NOT a regular and she provides color
-Flat twists/Whole Head=$35
-Cornrows=$45 (still includes eyebrows, and you can bring your OWN hair to the shop)
-Eyebrow shapeup=$2 (one for each eye LOL)
-Cut=$10 and up

Now once you drive that 30 minutes into Charlotte, a relaxer will set you back $60 and up NO EXTRAS. I don't live in the boonies so the location thing is throwing me off.

Wow, I have not paid prices that low in years. :yep: Charlotte is higher.

I never paid more than $65 when I was relaxed. And that included a trim and whatever style you were getting. And I was a little :ohwell: at the $65. The going rate around here is between 50 and 65. When I was in school in PG I called one salon in the mall and they had the nerve to tell me $80. $85 if I wanted Affirm or Mizani. I was like oh no..... I'll wait til I get back to Bmore. :nono:

That's ridiculous!! :nono:Thank goodness I'm a DIY'er but my friends only pay about $65 at the most and that includes DC, style, and trim.

Back