Newbie and question about Lye/No Lye Relaxers

EmeraldSky

Hi everyone! /images/graemlins/wave.gif I'm new to the board, I love the format of the board and how friendly and informed everyone is.

I'm still trying to figure out a perfect routine, but in the meantime I have been hearing so much about lye relaxers being better for the hair than no lye relaxers. Currently I have a no lye relaxer (affirm) in my hair and I would like to switch to the lye formula, but my hair is highlighted so I am wondering if it would be okay to switch. Would the lye relaxer be too harsh on highlighted hair?

I would really appreciate any and all opinions on me changing relaxer formulas. Thanks!

Babychoc

/images/graemlins/wave.gif EmeraldSky! Welcome to the board, you will REALLY love it here /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Everyone here is great and have taught me SOOOOOO much stuff. Anyway enjoy your stay.

I switched from a no lye relaxer to a lye relaxer back in October 2002, and have had WONDERFUL results with the lye relaxers /images/graemlins/weird.gif. I use to use Optimum no lye relaxer in mild formula and it was good. I never had any problems but I decided to try the lye formula instead because I kept hearing so many good things about it /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Well, I too had highlighted hair when I did "the switch" and I NEVER had any breakage or any sort of problems whatsoever /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Now that I have been using lye relaxers, my hair is not as dry and is in GREAT shape /images/graemlins/up.gif.
I currently use Motions lye relaxers,it sometimes doesn't get my hair as straight as I would like /images/graemlins/crazy.gif, but I have been hearing good things about Affirm lye relaxers. Uh-oh, hear we go again /images/graemlins/blush.gif.
Well, that's about it for now. I'm no expert /images/graemlins/brainy.gif, but I hope I helped a little. I'm sure you will get much more information, just hang in there. Also, everyone's hair is different and responds different to products, so good luck with whatever you decide. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pebbles

Hi EmeraldSky,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/party2.gif

Don't be afraid to make the switch to a lye relaxer. It should cause no problems. If you are tender headed, be sure to have your hairdresser base your scalp very well. Really, the only thing about the lye relaxer some people complain about is that it burns. Otherwise it really is better for the hair because it is less drying.

I'm of the opinion that if the hairdresser knows what she's doing, you shouldn't experience any burns at all. Good luck! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Leshia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
pebbles said:
Hi EmeraldSky,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/party2.gif

Pebbles, really.....how do you know so much about hair??? Seriously.. /images/graemlins/brainy.gif
Don't be afraid to make the switch to a lye relaxer. It should cause no problems. If you are tender headed, be sure to have your hairdresser base your scalp very well. Really, the only thing about the lye relaxer some people complain about is that it burns. Otherwise it really is better for the hair because it is less drying.

I'm of the opinion that if the hairdresser knows what she's doing, you shouldn't experience any burns at all. Good luck! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LondonDiva

Emeraldsky welcome to the board.

you will definitely notice the difference if you make the switch. It's been drummed into us that out of the 2 the no lye is the safest, but /images/graemlins/naughty.gif that's not the case. Whatever you decide you'll get plenty of tips/help etc no matter what you decide to do with your hair short term or long term.

Enjoy your time here

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pebbles, really.....how do you know so much about hair??? Seriously..

[/ QUOTE ]

When I decided to take my hair seriously and wanted to grow it, I realised that I didn't know anything about hair, and decided to do some research on hair in general. /images/graemlins/brainy.gif After that, I started focusing on black hair. I looked up a lot of information on the structure and makeup of hair. Not just peoples theories and opinions, but facts about hair. Then I read a lot of books. I have a cousine who used to be a hairdresser and she gave me one of her text books. And I took it from there. Then I found hair boards!! Eureka!! I struck gold. You learn even more from people who have tried and succeeded. I've learned a lot. I learned how to handle my hair, and the results have been good. So I try to pass on as much as I can remember from all the information that I've read. It's paid off. I used to hate it, because I thought it couldn't grow and it was always so dull and breaking. I'm really happy with my hair now. /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

Kitkat

Welcome Emeraldsky. /images/graemlins/cheers.gif I agree with everyone, switch to a lye relaxer,your hair will love it. I made the switch and never looked back. Affirm is a popular one on this board, and it is really a great relaxer.

Does breakage occur where the lye and no lye hair meet an dif you make the switch to lye do you have to gradually cut the no lye hair? /images/graemlins/swordfight.gif

pebbles

Hi Meinzzfuture, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

The hair won't break. If anything, it's been said that the lye is good for conditioning the hair that has been previously relaxed with the no-lye. If you had frizzy ends from the no-lye relaxer, the lye will not straighten it so you will find that you will need to cut it off the frizzy part gradually. That's what I'm doing. But the lye gives my hair a nicer look and feel. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

EmeraldSky

You guys are so helpful! Hopefully my highlighted hair will withstand the change in relaxers. I'm changing salons so the stylist asked that I come in before so she can judge for herself if my hair can withstand the change. Thanks again everyone.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif