Newbie looking for regimen advice to fight breakage

AlkalineSteam

Like a lot of other newbies here, I gravitated here after I became frustrated with the state of my hair. I divorced my stylist in April because among other things, I figured I could take better care of my hair myself. Well, its August and it pains me that I think my hair is in worse shape. I lurked for several months before I finally joined. I'm currently experiencing lots of breakage. I'm wondering if this might be protein overload since I've been using cholesterol as my main conditioner for a few weeks.

I deemed Wednesday as my weekly wash day. Here's my current regimen.

Shampoo with one or more of:

• Main & Tail (original), Nioxin (when necessary), GVP Tea Tree, Nexxus Therrape

20 minute heat deep condition with one or more of:

• LeKair Cholesterol, Main & Tail, Nexxus Humectress, GVP Tea Tree (no combination seems to give me good slip)

Leave-In:

• Paul Mitchell "The Cream"
  • Paul Mitchell "Skinny Serum"

Comb straight back and sit under my blow dryer's hood attachment until 90% dry. Then blow dry my roots and flat iron.

Even though I can whip up a pretty good style, I'm super sad about the condition of my hair. I've been reading the boards and am considering Mega Tek, but right now I'm more concerned with the condition of my hair rather than the length. I should mention that most of the protective styles that people mention (twists and braids) aren't really an option for me due to my profession (really don't want to discuss that). That also means that co-washing isn't an option because I would have to use lots of heat everyday.

Also, I've found that I'm a PJ. So here's a list of some of the stuff in my bathroom cabinet.

Shampoo

• Mane and tail original
  • Mane and tail moisturizing
  • Nioxin (prescription)
  • Elasta
  • Cream of Nature
  • Nexxus Therappe
  • GVP Tea Tree (generic Paul Mitchell)

Conditioner

• Mane and tail
  • Aussie 3 minute miracle
  • Cholesterol
  • Elasta
  • Nexxus Humectress
  • Suave Humectant

Leave In

• Cream of nature lemongrass and rosemary
  • Infusium 23

Thermal

• Redken Heat Glide
  • Fantasia IC
  • Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum

Treatments

• Nexxus Emergencee (should I use this since I have breakage?)

I respect the advice of everyone here. I've seen your pictures and posts and know that you can help me. Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

do you think that it might be you are using too much heat.
That could be it.

Also, using so many different products might make it hard to isolate which one(s) may be causing a problem. Maybe you should simplify.

I've considered it. The only contrary evidence is that for at least 8 years I went to a salon weekly and got pretty much the same amount of heat and I didn't have as much breakage then as I do now.

I could certainly stand to simplify. I'm thinking the Nexxus Therrappe and Humectress (no slip :perplexed) and using The Cream as a leave in. Thoughts? Maybe use Emergencee once a month?

I've considered rollersetting, but I'm afraid of causing more damage with the wet manipulation.

I agree with the other posters...it may be the usage of too much heat. Definitely simplify your products to see what works best for your hair.

As far as the breakage: (1) do yo have dry and brittle hair? or (2) weak and mushy when wet?

If it's (1) then up your moisture DC. (2) do a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing DC.

Go back to basics.

I would even recommend you try conditioner washing for now use the Suave Humectant for a cowash and the cream of nature as the leave in. Use a light amount of oil on the shaft of your hair like coconut or jojoba.

I know this will sound radical but if you can get away without blow drying and do a roller set or without any heat at all for the next 30-60 days it will give your hair rest.

I know, I know easier said than done, but you want the breakage to stop.

Best wishes to you.

My suggestions:

Wash & Condition Sets:
1. Elasta QP Creme Shampoo & Intense Conditioner or....
2. Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo & Moisturizing Conditioner or....
3. Paul Mitchell Instant Moisture Shampoo & Instant Moisture Daily Treatment Conditioner

Leave-in:
1. Rusk Sensories Smoother Leave-in (cream) or....
2. Elasta QP H-Two Leave-in (liquid) or...
3. Lacio Lacio (cream) or....

Styling:
1. KeraCare Foam & Wrap Lotion or....
2. KeraCare Setting Lotion or.....
3. BB Styling Foam Lotion or....
4. Silk Elements Foam Wrap Lotion

Deep Conditioning:
1. ORS Mayo

Other:
1. Paul Mitchell Super Skinny (you already have that, so keep it)
2. ApHogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructerizer (sp?) spray
3. An oil (any natural vegatble oil)
4. ApHogee 2 Step Protein Treatment

Tools:
1. Wide Tooth comb
2. Rollers of various sizes
3. Rattail comb for parting

Start off with a good trim. Lay off the heat, do some rollersets (or doobie wraps) for a while.

ETA: Oh, and once you find a product for each need (shampoo, conditioner, setting lotion, etc), stick to it!

Last edited:
As far as the breakage: (1) do yo have dry and brittle hair? or (2) weak and mushy when wet?

If it's (1) then up your moisture DC. (2) do a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing DC.

Its not weak when its wet and I can detangle without any problem. I guess it is on the dry side. Do you recommend a particular DC? Being a PJ, you know I'll run out and get it. LOL

I would even recommend you try conditioner washing for now use the Suave Humectant for a cowash and the cream of nature as the leave in. Use a light amount of oil on the shaft of your hair like coconut or jojoba.

I know this will sound radical but if you can get away without blow drying and do a roller set or without any heat at all for the next 30-60 days it will give your hair rest.

I know, I know easier said than done, but you want the breakage to stop.

Best wishes to you.

You know what? You're right. It is RADICAL (!!!) but I do want the breakage to stop. I guess I need to go and get myself a real hood dryer and rollers and find me a video tutorial on rollersetting.

I notice that most ladies who cowash do it everyday. Does anyone cowash once a week and maybe clarify once a month?

Ladies, thank you for all of your advice. I feel so much better now. Can I tell you that I was so depressed about my hair this morning that I even dressed like a bum to match my hair? I'll hit the BSS tomorrow. Hopefully I'll feel confident enough to post progress pics soon.

So glad I joined this site!

Its not weak when its wet and I can detangle without any problem. I guess it is on the dry side. Do you recommend a particular DC? Being a PJ, you know I'll run out and get it. LOL

?

My staple moisturizing DC is Joico K-Pak Moisture Intense Hydrator! I've noticed a difference in my hair the very first time I used it. You can get it from Trade Secrets.

Last edited:
Keep it simple co-wash, deep condition with moisturizing condition, spray hair with care free curl activator or s-curl ( baggy ) then use a scarf to cover your bag so it won't keep you up all night. In the morning try a bun use nylon stocking then dress the stocking up with a pretty bow. Hope that helps. I know my hair appreciates that bag may or maynot work for you but it is an option. Oh, yeah try low manipulation.

Like a lot of other newbies here, I gravitated here after I became frustrated with the state of my hair. I divorced my stylist in April because among other things, I figured I could take better care of my hair myself. Well, its August and it pains me that I think my hair is in worse shape. I lurked for several months before I finally joined. I'm currently experiencing lots of breakage. I'm wondering if this might be protein overload since I've been using cholesterol as my main conditioner for a few weeks.

I deemed Wednesday as my weekly wash day. Here's my current regimen.

Shampoo with one or more of:

• Main & Tail (original), Nioxin (when necessary), GVP Tea Tree, Nexxus Therrape
20 minute heat deep condition with one or more of:

• LeKair Cholesterol, Main & Tail, Nexxus Humectress, GVP Tea Tree (no combination seems to give me good slip)
Leave-In:

• Paul Mitchell "Skinny Serum"
Comb straight back and sit under my blow dryer's hood attachment until 90% dry. Then blow dry my roots and flat iron.

Even though I can whip up a pretty good style, I'm super sad about the condition of my hair. I've been reading the boards and am considering Mega Tek, but right now I'm more concerned with the condition of my hair rather than the length. I should mention that most of the protective styles that people mention (twists and braids) aren't really an option for me due to my profession (really don't want to discuss that). That also means that co-washing isn't an option because I would have to use lots of heat everyday.

Also, I've found that I'm a PJ. So here's a list of some of the stuff in my bathroom cabinet.

Shampoo

• Mane and tail original
  • Mane and tail moisturizing
  • Nioxin (prescription)
  • Elasta
  • Cream of Nature
  • Nexxus Therappe
Conditioner

• Mane and tail
  • Aussie 3 minute miracle
  • Cholesterol
  • Elasta
  • Nexxus Humectress
  • Suave Humectant
Leave In

• Cream of nature lemongrass and rosemary
  • Infusium 23
Thermal

• Redken Heat Glide
  • Fantasia IC
  • Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum
Treatments

• Nexxus Emergencee (should I use this since I have breakage?)
I respect the advice of everyone here. I've seen your pictures and posts and know that you can help me. Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

Are you using a daily moisturizer? I know that if I don't use some kind of moisturizer on a daily basis my hair gets dry and starts to break because I'm using a lot of products with protein.

I just realized that I've been here for a year now! I searched and found my newbie thread and had a nice laugh over the sad state I was in a year ago. Sorry, this update still won't include pics. I tried but couldn't find any suitable ones from last year. In short, I was high neck length then. Now, I'm past true shoulder length and loving it.

If anyone cares, I still alternate products from time to time, but LHCF has taught me a LOT about the types of products that need to be in my routine. You can check out my current staples in my signature. I wash and DC about every 5-7 days now and get relaxer touch-ups every 10 weeks. I keep a hair log so that I have a written record of what products and techniques did to my hair. I do still flat iron, but not nearly as much as I used to. I have very little breakage.

Oh! A friend taught me to do curly rollersets in September 08 and I bought the Healthy Textures dvd a few months later and learned the mohawk method for straight styles. Rollersetting has done WONDERS for the health of my hair. Some wash days I don't use any direct heat at all.

Along the way I also tried using Megatek but I decided that the growth wasn't worth all the shedding and having to counteract all of that protein.

In closing, thanks to the ladies of LHCF for all of your help, advice and expertise. Most importantly thanks so much for the stories of your personal experiences. I realize that this thread is still rather useless without pics, but hopefully some other newbie will find some encouragement in my words.

Thanks,
AlkalineSteam

P.S. I also lost 20 pounds along the way. I highly suggest the Health and Fitness forum for those ladies who only come to LHCF for the hair care threads.

In addition to using moisturizing DC, make sure your porosity is in check. This step is so often overlooked but if your porosity is out of whack all the moisturizing and everything like that will not be helpful. Try incorporating Roux Porosity Control or an ACV rinse into your regimen. HTH!

Don't fret. My first couple of months on here was kinda hard too. I still had breakage even though I was making the effort (more dc's, keeping moisture/protein balance). I had found out a few other things were causing my breakage:
*My comb was snagging my strands...I thought hair was breaking off from being unhealthy but it was the darned comb!
*Wrong combination of products...My leave-in doesn't have any slip unless I use certain conditioners before it.
*Manipulation...It got to the point where I felt like my hair was gonna break off regardless. so I stopped touching it and started wigging for a little while. This has made a world of difference in retention and gave me a better handle on how to maintain a healthy regimen.
I did cut back on heat for some time just to play it safe. Now my hair can handle quite a bit. I just don't abuse it though.

Like the other posters said, it may be best to simplifiy so you can isolate the problem. It may take longer than you like, but you will eventually figure it out.

Back