NEWBIE NEEDS HAIR ADVICE!!!!!

keysha1983

Hi ladies! I am new to the forum and I have been browsing the pictures to gain my inspiration. I only have one problem: I love your advice, but there are SO MANY threads to read through.

I currently have a relaxed chin length bob. I have a mixture of typer 4a/4b hair. I need advice on how to begin my long hair journey.

Question number 1: Roller set: I have no idea how to do my hair, where do I begin?

Question number 2: How do I moisturize my hair? Coconut oils? Hair grease? I am clueless!

Question 3: Do I really need to condition my hair 2x a week? Can't I damage my hair by overconditioning?

Question 4: What are the best products to use for my hair?

If you can help with those 4 questions, maybe I can begin my journey CORRECTLY.

Pictures will follow soon!

MsChelle

Welcome, Keysha1983!!!
You pose some good questions. I have not been on the board for very long myself. The most important things that I have learned are to learn to listen to my hair, not to run out and buy every product that is raved about on here (what works for some don't work for all).

What types of products do you use now/what is your regimen?
You DON"T have to cowash and condition your hair two times a week. That is a personal preference. You can overload your hair with moisture and you can protein overload. You have to learn to balance those two.

What kind of shape is your hair in? I know you said you are relaxed. Do you have any damage (heat damage, split ends, breakage)

Last edited:

keysha1983

Actually my hair is in pretty good shape. The closer I get to receiving a touchup relaxer, my hair requires more moisture. I am going out this weekend to purchase some coconut oil and flexi rollers for my hair.

I use Aphogee products. Their products offer alot of protein and my hair is responding great. I can notice that my hair is alot thicker. I recently stopped wearing sew in weaves, so my hair was pretty damaged before I started using Aphogee products.

I want to go natural, but I am afraid that I will not be able to take care of my own hair. I feel embarrased, but reading everyone's blogs and posts are inspiring. Thanks for you advice! :grin:

kandake

To be honest, there's no right way. As you read all the post here you'll soon find that out, if you haven't already.

Most people's journey starts off with trial and error. Unless they get so lucky to get it right the first time.

But to answer your questions.

1. Go over to youtube and do a search for rollersetting. Lorraine as a good tutorial and she's a member here. I think if you put rollersetting in the search bar her videos may just pop up.

2. Your hair gets moisture in different ways. It could be from your deep conditioning, from co-washing, or from daily moisturizing. Hair grease will not moisturize your hair. There's some debate on coconut oil as a moisturizer. I for one think that it does moisturize my hair. I prefer it over water based moisturizers for when I'm wearing my hair out.

I mentioned water based moisturizers. I typically look for water and glycerin as the first few ingredients in my moisturizers. I would read the threads to see what people are using. Look up the ingredients if necessary. Then start trying to figure out what your hair likes best.

3. You don't have to deep condition 2x a week. Many of us don't But its all in finding out what your hair likes and what it needs. Whats the state of your hair now. Is it lacking moisture, is it damaged etc. Assess what your hair needs a move on from there.

4. I can't provide any suggestions on the best products. Like I mentioned before. Finding what works is usually trial and error. At least it was for me. And I'm always in search of something better.

I think I was half way helpful. But good luck to you on your journey.

Last edited:

MsChelle

Actually my hair is in pretty good shape. The closer I get to receiving a touchup relaxer, my hair requires more moisture. I am going out this weekend to purchase some coconut oil and flexi rollers for my hair.

I use Aphogee products. Their products offer alot of protein and my hair is responding great. I can notice that my hair is alot thicker. I recently stopped wearing sew in weaves, so my hair was pretty damaged before I started using Aphogee products.

I want to go natural, but I am afraid that I will not be able to take care of my own hair. I feel embarrased, but reading everyone's blogs and posts are inspiring. Thanks for you advice! :grin:

Don't feel embarrassed! I asked some questions when I first joined this board that made me hang my head in shame.......:nono:

What is your regimen? (how often do you shampoo, relax, condition) and what other products do you use besides Aphogee.

I personally am in love with Coconut oil for sealing and moisturizing.

hothair

:welcome: :newbie: Check the stickies there should be one for newbies it'll answer or guide you to some answers, staying and absorbing is best- stay off bandwagons and massive product purchases (this turns you into a product junkie:grin:) -very expensive habit and not always great for your hair. I should know I'm a pro:look:

lonelysky

Baby Chick Gate 2011
Welcome!

I think that even before you are concerned with most of the things that your questions are about, you need to evaluate your hair and set some goals (really any newbie can get something out of what I'm saying)

You should evaluate your hair's health. What are the strong points? What are its weak points? Is your hair thick, thin, thinning? Is your hair well moisturized or do you struggle to keep it moist? Is it porous?

What are your short term goals? Do you want more moisture? Thickness? Do you need to work on growing your edges and/or nape? What are your long term goals?

How much time are you able/willing to dedicate to hair care?

Amerie123

this should start you off in the right track. I got it from the stickies. It's like a newcomer's guide to starting out.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50291

my best advice to you (or any newbie) is don't be discouraged if some of these LHCF practices don't work for you. You will learn that what works for one, don't mean it'll work for you. Oh, and depending upon what your goal is, just know you will have to have patience (which I'm lacking at this time). :lol: