Newbie......question

LoVeMYLIfe

Hello everyone,:)

I have been lurking here for awhile now and want to thank you ladies very, very much for all the great info here.

Just had a quick ? about protective styling. How long are you ladies doing this? I see some who continue wearing protective styles after they have achieved there desired length. Is it more to maintain than anything else at that point? The reason I ask is because I HATE protective styles(sorry:ohwell: ) and LOVE wearing my hair down ever once in a while(especially to work) My length is a little past my shoulder(not quite armpit) and I know that protective styles are recommended for this length beacuse of the rubbing, but is this something that I absolutely have to do all the time?

Thanks!

LovelyZ

Protective styling has helped me gain more length and faster. However, it does get quite boring and makes me wonder why I go through all of this if I am going to hide my hair all of the time. I did the bun challenge for most of the year and I am concerned about the parts of my hair that suffer stress due to the hair being pulled back so much. But to retain length, IMO, nothing works better.

LoVeMYLIfe

Thanks for your response. I will do a ponytail, but only at the end of the week when my natural oils starts weighing my hair down, and it is not time for my wash, I will then rock a pony, but other than that I hate wearing my hair up. I also cannot find a phoney pony that looks good on me. I see plenty of girls wearing them and they look soooo good, but for some reason, on me it looks exactly like what it is, PHONEY!:confused:

Can anyone suggest a good phoney pony that is not so overwhelming?
TIA!

LaShanne

I'm have the same problem finding a realistic "phony pony" too. I just started taking care of my hair properly and I'm already tired of the bun. Please help us newbies!!!:crying3:

Mestiza

It's not a must to wear your hair up everyday to obtain nor retain long hair. I wear my hair up and down, depending on what look I want, at that moment. Most of the time, I do wear my hair in a bun, though b/c it's faster for me and I love them, too. There are some members, such as Sylver2 and others, who wear their hair down all of the time and they have long hair.

KiniKakes

Hey girl, welcome to the board. :)

I am one of those who wears a bun pretty much 24/7. Very occasionally i will wear it down on the wknd..... but for the most part, until i reach my ultimate goal, i will keep it bunned.

Once i reach my goal, i imagine that i'll continue to wear it up mon-fri at work, because i work at a hospital and dont need my hair swinging around all willy-nilly. A nice, neat bun with pretty, light makeup is very conservative and attractive, to me. And on the weekends i can let it loose and not experience too much breakage or feel guilty.

So to answer your question...... once ive reached my goal, i will probably continue to bun, because i dont mind the style. But i'll definitely be more relaxed on the weekends, unlike now.