Newbie saying hello!

BklynHeart

Hello ladies! I came across this post a few months ago when I had some braids and wanted some tips on how to take care of them. After lurking on this board awhile I know that I'm not crazy when it comes to hair care!! I have been doing some of the same techniques you ladies have been doing for years and my hair has loved me for it! My hair is currently pass shoulder length and I'm trying to reach bsl. I have been with the same AA stylist for 13 years, and she is the only stylist I know that has been doing the dominican-style blowout. She has always stressed healthy hair over anything else, and because of her I can take care of it myself and only see her for touch-ups and trims. Through this board I have learned some new ideas on how to take care of my hair. I've noticed that every 5 years I have to do something new to "shock" my follicles so to speak! Again, I'm so glad I joined to "meet" with some positive, informative women!

Bklyn heart I would love to find a AA stylist that cares about healthy hair...
Im in Bk as well...can you please give me some information about your stylist?

KAddy

BklynHeart

SexyC

Welcome I'm A Nebie Too.
By The Way What Do You Mean By Shocking The Hair Follicles And What Does It Do?

BklynHeart

Hey everyone! thank You!!!! Covagirlm, believe it or not my hair dresser is located in the Bronx! her name is Phyllis and the salon is called Phil-Martin. the number is 718-652-4606. she is wonderful! there were times I wanted to choke her when she cut my hair, but she explained why and I thank her for it. I was using Optimum and my hair was thinning like crazy. she changed me to Revlon and was trying to remove the Optimum out of my hair. If that's too far for you, there's another woman named Melisa who worked with Phyllis for 7 years before she decided to strike out on her own. She's in Manhattan and she goes by appointment. meaning, if you need to see her on Sunday, let her know and she will make time for you. Her # is 347-678-1837. my girlfriend goes to this hairdresser named Stacy in Bklyn, her number is 718-363-5653. My girlfriend has a short haircut, but it is banging! I mean, people literally stop her on the street to ask her where she get her hair done. I hope that helps!

BklynHeart

What I meant SexyC is that the products I was able to use 5 years ago doesn't work now. I was able to use Dark n' Lovely cholesterol and L'oreal Oleocap hot oil. Please, now my hair would fall off my head if I tried to use that stuff now! I now use Sebastian 2+1, Lamour Bone Marrow, and Terax Crema. But I've noticed now that my hair is starting to act funny with the 2+1.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Hey BklynHeart, :clap:

Welcome!!! I am a newbie too from Brooklyn that was lurking for a month too and I just had to give in and join this week.:grin: Hope you have a great time here.

BklynHeart

Unfortunately no Poohbear! Girl, it took me forever to figure out how to post! (a little challenged!). Don't worry, I'll crack the code on the pic submit!

Thanks BklynQueen! Are you the one that had the silkening done at Curve? If you are, your hair is bangin'! I went to them once when they had their shop located in downtown Brooklyn. They did the Dominican style blowout, but my hair didn't get scortched, and I came out of there looking like I got my hair did!

Kalani

BklynHeart said:
Thanks ClassyEbonyGirl!! Ladies, let me confess something to you.... I was born and raised in Bklyn, but my knight in shining armor (huusband) moved me to Staten Island! But I'm still reppin' Brooklyn at heart!!! You can find and do just about anything there!

Welcome! I lived on Staten Island the last couple years I was in NY. I moved back to Florida last year(my homestate). I liked Staten Island cause the rent was so reasonable I could actually afford a nice 2 bedroom apartment!

BklynHeart

That's true dtachi. I still have to get used to driving to the store and not having a lot of options when it comes to ethnic food. But I'm coming around slowly but surely.:D

Thanks again ladies!!!

Last edited: