Newbie with a TON of questions!!! HELP!!!

Penelope74

Hello Family, I’ve been cyber stalking these rooms for about 4 or5 months; I’ve gained a WEALTH of knowledge regarding MY Hair Journey. Right not I am DIY relaxed probably every 4 months with a mild relaxed, and coming out of EL. I usually wear my hair like my picture but I’m getting married next year 2015 (saving for big wedding and MEGA Honeymoon) and I want at least BSL. My ULTIMATE goal is MBL.
I’m on a vitamin regime of 3,00mg MSM, 400mcg Folic Acid, 50mg Zinc, B- Complex, Calcium, 10,000mg Biotin, Nature’s Bounty Hair Skin and Nails, Iron, 2000 mg Fish oil. I drink water, but probably not as much as I should. I Co-Wash 3x’s per week with Pantene Truly Natural, and DC w/ Palmers Coconut Protein Pack. I oil nightly with Aragon oil, Vitamin E oil, EVOO, and I SWEAR by Wild Grow with the red top and KEMI OYL. I’ve tried everything from MN7 to inversion.
My hair is growing and a nice pace, but my nails have to be trimmed it seems like every week, they grow so fast.
Now I’m wondering if I am leaving anything out. When I read posts and yawl say 3b or 3a hair, what are you talking about? What is dusting? What is tea?
I’m also trying to get away from heat, but since my hair is shorter I don’t know what else to do with it short of just slicking it back which is a :nono:for my line of work. I need a protective style to wear for one week at a time. :feedback:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
:welcome: to the board! Where are you getting kemi oil from? I haven't seen that in a few years.

Good luck with your journey!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

PureSilver

:welcome: to the board

Seems like you're on the right track, It will take a little trial and error to determine what your hair like once it starts getting longer. Since your hair is still in the short phase co-washing is great for scalp massages and moisture.

Dusting is lightly clipping the ends of your hair i would say less than a 1/4 of an inch it's less hair being removed than when you trim which is less than a cut

Tea not sure which one you are refering to....is it gossip(spilling the beans) or tea rinses for your hair. I just want to be clear.

In all you are doing you have to have PATIENCE and handle your hair gently+ protective style will give you lots of retention and staying away from the scissors

HTH and HHG

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Welcome! You've gotten some good answers so far from Pure. The ladies use tea rinses on the scalp/hair or I think some may put in a spray bottle to lightly spritz the hair from time to time. It's good for stimulation of the scalp and either shedding or breakage (can't remember). Like Pure said you seem to be doing everything right and have a good regi.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Penelope74

Tea rinses,, regular tea, tea bags, what kind os tea and what are the benefits to a tea rinse?

And could you please offer me a Protective style for short hair. I really don't care for braids tho..

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Tea rinses,, regular tea, tea bags, what kind os tea and what are the benefits to a tea rinse?

And could you please offer me a Protective style for short hair. I really don't care for braids tho..

There's all different kinds of teas to use. I'm on my phone and can't post the link to the thread but there's a tea rinsing thread that has tons of info. I will bump it for you.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Hello Penelope74, welcome to the board. :wave:

There's a number of relaxed threads that we keep alive and well if you want to join us. I'll tag you in a few so you can join in. We have a lot of self-relaxers over there and they can answer any questions you may have along the way.

Look forward to seeing you in the relaxed threads---

Penelope74

Yes, Please tag me in. The more the merrier!!! I enjoy these rooms. I appercieate being "around" other people who are on the same jounrny as myself!!!

LexiDior

Hello Family, I’ve been cyber stalking these rooms for about 4 or5 months; I’ve gained a WEALTH of knowledge regarding MY Hair Journey. Right not I am DIY relaxed probably every 4 months with a mild relaxed, and coming out of EL. I usually wear my hair like my picture but I’m getting married next year 2015 (saving for big wedding and MEGA Honeymoon) and I want at least BSL. My ULTIMATE goal is MBL.
I’m on a vitamin regime of 3,00mg MSM, 400mcg Folic Acid, 50mg Zinc, B- Complex, Calcium, 10,000mg Biotin, Nature’s Bounty Hair Skin and Nails, Iron, 2000 mg Fish oil. I drink water, but probably not as much as I should. I Co-Wash 3x’s per week with Pantene Truly Natural, and DC w/ Palmers Coconut Protein Pack. I oil nightly with Aragon oil, Vitamin E oil, EVOO, and I SWEAR by Wild Grow with the red top and KEMI OYL. I’ve tried everything from MN7 to inversion.
My hair is growing and a nice pace, but my nails have to be trimmed it seems like every week, they grow so fast.
Now I’m wondering if I am leaving anything out. When I read posts and yawl say 3b or 3a hair, what are you talking about? What is dusting? What is tea?
I’m also trying to get away from heat, but since my hair is shorter I don’t know what else to do with it short of just slicking it back which is a :nono:for my line of work. I need a protective style to wear for one week at a time. :feedback:

This refers to your hair type or the grade of hair you have.
Here is a link that has pictures and in depth info so you can decided for yourself. It even has a quiz to help you if you're stumped. http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

ellebelle88

You have a decent regimen, even though it sounds like a lot. For me, the best to ensure fast, maximum growth was low manipulation and staying away from heat. If co-washing 3x a week works for you then do it. But when I was SL and co-washing my hair, I realized that I was doing it more harm than good. It was breaking off, weak, etc. I also could never take any pills on a consistent regimen and because I wasn't sure it really increased hair growth, I didn't bother with them. Some also complained about the pills causing acne and unwanted hair growth in other places. Let me know how they work for you.

Make sure you keep a balance between incorporating protein and moisture into your hair.

As far as a protective style, I would say find a wig that you really like and rock that if you don't like braids. For me, I think stretching my relaxers 3-4 months worked best, but everyone doesn't know how to stretch without damaging their hair or experiencing a setback, so its up to you.

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials!!!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Thanks for calling me in @SuchaLady:yep: You've gotten great suggestions in here OP (original poster). As for tea's they are fun fun fun....there are varies teas/herbs/ayurvedic that have various benefits for the hair. Often teas are used for the properties that they have:
Shedding/ DHT blockers: black, green, nettle, etc
Moisturizing/mucilage: hibiscus, marshmallow root, slippery elm, fenugreek, bhringaraj
Colour: sage, hibiscus, rooibos, rose hip
Stimulate: peppermint, rosemary, lavender
I use tea as part of my rinse when I cowash or as a base for my DC. Recently I"ve been making a spritz of various tea's that I use to refresh between my washes. I'm happy to have found out about teas but I didn't until I was bored with everything else I learned on this board and wanted something the add to the excitement of doing my hair. Once you find the teas that work well for you trust me you won't go back. I will say that if you choose to start with black tea/regular tea and don't like it try other herbs before deciding that tea rinsing and such isn't for you. I started with black tea, hated it and left tea alone for months after only to try other teas and fall madly in love:yep:
And oh, WELCOME to the board @Penelope74 :grin:

ETA: The teas that I mentioned are in no way all that there are, nor all that I use:look:

Last edited: