No longer interested in the gossip at work..

Trea

No longer interested...

I've been trying to better my walk with Christ, but it seems like the more I try and get away from the gossip,the worst it gets! Okay, I admit I use to be interested in all the bolongna that was going on at my job, but now I'm really trying to better myself by removing myself from all of the gossip and negativity.

It's like when I'm sitting at my desk and my coworkers are sitting around talking about everything and everyone at work, I've started being anti (quiet) b/c I know it's not right in my Heavenly Fathers eyes and for me to better myself with him I'm going to have to change alot of my old ways... So, Friday they was gossiping sooo bad about a particular person:mad: and they asked me my opinion . I just said no comment:ohwell: , now they're gossiping about me, b/c I was no longer interested in the news. I mean no one in my department said anything else to me for the rest of that day (5 hours).

How would you handle a situation like this? I feel alone right now:(. I hate to go back to work and have to put up with this nonsense...And I don't feel I owe ANYBODY an explanation for my silence. B/C I feel that's between me and HIM;)

Last edited:
Re: No longer interested...

You're right...you don't owe anyone an explanation. Remember that when you are trying to live for God and do what's right, the Devil will be after you like never before. If Satan isn't bothering you, then what you're doing isn't bothering him. Kudos to you for wanting to do what's right and refrain from evil and the appearance of such.

I realize how alienated you must feel, but you're taking the high road, and that's commendable. Don't allow simple-minded, worldly people to steal your joy. Just do your thing at work, and if you have down time, perhaps you could find other constructive ways to fill that time that you used to spend talking with co-workers.

I'd also like to remind you that in situations like this, God will make your enemies your footstool.

Stay steadfast and be encouraged. :)

Honestly, there is nothing that you can do to make them understand the situation without enduring some form of critisism.

If you tell them that you are a Christian and you dont feel that it is right to talk about others, they will interpret it as you thinking that you are better than them. If you partake in the gossiping, then you will be sinning and will probably feel guilty about it afterwards.

In my opinion, do what you believe is right. Since when did chatting about other people buisness become a part of your job description? As you said, at the end of the day, you are accountable to God for your actions. ;)

I was in a similar position last year, which ended with me being blamed for the "rift" within my department. It was very difficult to deal with being the outcast but there were two things that I had to remember. The first is that I was not hired to be friends with people I work with, we are there to do a job. So bottom line, as long as I respect them and they respect me, it's all good. The second thing I had to remember was that they were not acting in a Christian way at all and that they would not understand my need to be away from the negativity. I realized that they were a group of miserable people who most likely will be in the same spot for the rest of their lives. I know that there is a higher calling on my life, and I think that it bugs them that I am not willing to stoop to their level. If that makes me look like a "goody goody" then so be it. Hang in there and continue to pray and put your trust in God. It's nothing but the devil trying to hinder you.

Why do they have so much time to sit around and gossip anyway? Your co-workers are petty---ignoring you for the day because you don't want to bad-talk people:mad: I no longer fiend for juicy gossip either. However, when I find my self in a situation where the conversation suddenly turns on someone, I listen to what they have to say. Then I try to stand up for the person they are talking about by saying things like, "How do you know this?" or "Well, i don't think she/he was trying to offend you" or anything that challenges what they are saying. I'll even point out the good things about the person they are talking about...if there is any I know of :look: :lol: Also, I make sure I don't say anything I wouldn't say to the person's face:cool: . In addition, lot the times the gossip's info is twisted. Anything I hear from a gossip, I put into question. If it didn't come straight from the person in question's mouth or from a "reputable source", it's all just rumors. Regardless if it's from a reputable source or not I don't go around spreading the word either:lol:

God is changing you from the inside out and like other Christians, you have been called to be set apart from "the world." Just keep doing what you're doing.

:lachen: Chile don't pay them no never mind. Be glad that you had the will to hold your tongue instead of doing a Compton Carlotta on their foul behinds. You know its some unhappy gossipin folxs at the workplace. Actually them not speaking could be heaven sent. Stay strong in prayer!

imani97 said:
I was in a similar position last year, which ended with me being blamed for the "rift" within my department. It was very difficult to deal with being the outcast but there were two things that I had to remember. The first is that I was not hired to be friends with people I work with, we are there to do a job. So bottom line, as long as I respect them and they respect me, it's all good. The second thing I had to remember was that they were not acting in a Christian way at all and that they would not understand my need to be away from the negativity. I realized that they were a group of miserable people who most likely will be in the same spot for the rest of their lives. I know that there is a higher calling on my life, and I think that it bugs them that I am not willing to stoop to their level. If that makes me look like a "goody goody" then so be it. Hang in there and continue to pray and put your trust in God. It's nothing but the devil trying to hinder you.

I agree completely. I am going thru this right now, I speak to maybe a handful of people in my department and that's it. I just go to work, do my thing, and ignore what the other people are doing. I think it gets under some people's skin that I really do not care that they do not talk to me. Walk in your with your head up and go about your business as usual, if they speak they speak, but just keep doing you. Keep your head up.

Back