No more relaxers for Cathy Howse...

ryanshope

I apologize if this thread has already been created...but I may have to start my journey into "natural" sista off the strength of this news alone...

2/12/2005 I know you have all been waiting for my updates. Well here they are:
Cathy is giving up chemical relaxers (See below - Scroll down)
36 NEW customer testimonies - Click here
New customer Before and After pictures (Still coming)
(thank you sisters and keep them coming)
Updated hair tips (Still coming)
New hair questions answered (Still coming)
New book reviews (Still coming)
My 2005 hair pictures - Click here
The latest gimmick that claims to have come up with a “breakthrough system for black hair growth” (See below- Scroll down)
My last retouch was May 14, 2004. After 35 years of relaxing my hair I have decided to give up chemical straightening for 3 reasons:

Aging brings with it its own complications. (Alzheimer’s, dementia and cancer) I have no interest in becoming a test dummy for relaxer products and the fewer chemicals I expose myself to, the better.
I am afraid of losing my hair to chemical relaxing. With so many sisters experiencing balding and thinning hair problems I found myself asking, what really causes Black women’s thinning hair? Do I think chemicals are the culprit? Chemical relaxers are one of the problems. Especially when they are constantly pushed on to the scalp with the back of the stylist hand, repeatedly throughout time. To help us understand this issue my next book will be on “Saving our hair after giving up chemical treatments”, thus the reason for my Thinning Hair Survey (another first for African-American women). One thing you should know is that no-lye relaxers are not the problem because even sisters who wear lye relaxers are having the same issues! It also has nothing to do with dry hair!
I want to demonstrate to sisters everywhere that you CAN stop relaxing your hair and keep it on your head! Going natural now after 35 years is a chore. The maintenance doesn’t change except now I HAVE to comb my natural hair wet to detangle and stretch it out or I end up with one big hard ball of hair roots with straight ends! Constantly, I am asked about what styles I wear. Now with the two textures of hair, I have opted for five styles:
Twist (yes even with long chemically straightened ends)
Ponytails
Plaits pulled up on top of my head with a scrunchie
2 pigtails pulled together with a scrunchie
Straight – with a blow dryer and flatiron (very seldom)
Watch for my book to give you more details!!

http://www.ubhpublications.com/News.html

Look like me and Cathy are in the same boat :surf:, I'm transitioning also.

Thanks for posting this Sweetness. ")

Back