no offense

gymfreak336

*Dumb question alert*

I've never had a relaxer so I wonder about this all the time. What do the directions on the relaxer box/kit/tub say? Like, does it say to only do it after a certain amount of time? to only relax the "new growth" and not the entire length?

:look:

Yeah, they have time limits based on hair type. Then they say that if you are just retouching then to only apply it to the new growth. People just don't read :nono::lachen:

Rain20

I just met someone that said she relaxed every week with a super strength relaxer. Has anyone ever heard of this before. I am trying to change her habits and have her join here for more information.

Last edited:

jazzyto

Prior to knowing any better, I used to relax every 4 weeks because it seemed like my hair was dry and breaking. I didnt know that it was moisture that I needed and not a relaxer. I had one of those hair dresser who said that it was okay to do so every month.

Southernbella.

You sounded like me. I would shampoo with creme of nature and blow dry with bone straight creme and would wonder why my hair wasn't "behaving" :lachen: My po head...I don't remember really using conditioner until I was like in the 7th grade :nono:

I am going to be doing the bolded hopefully until April which will put me at 6 months post.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Lawd, I remember bone straight.:lachen: Girl, I was washing with Dark N Lovely, instant conditioning with Infusium of all things, then blowdrying and wondering why my hair looked like straw. Then I would curl the ends under.:lachen:Occasionally, I would gel it real good and let it dry in a ponytail, and it would stay flat then. Oh man, the thing we used to do.:nono:

MissNina

Libra Girl
wow. i guess if your hair grows fast then it shouldnt be a problem but i know some people hair grows really slow. if you go to a professional and get it done you run the risk of them overlapping though right?

There is no way someone's hair grows that fast that they have to relax at 3 weeks. lol I have to see it to believe it and until then it is impossible. And my friend's hair grows really slow anyway.

They have to overlap b/c there is almost no way to get around it. It's hard not to overlap when you have 1.5 inches of growth. . .let alone .5, you know?

leona2025

Yeah, they have time limits based on hair type. Then they say that if you are just retouching then to only apply it to the new growth. People just don't read :nono::lachen:

Girl I read the directions. I just thought the "white man" didn't know what he was talking about and he don't know what really goes on with "black" hair.:rolleyes: I'm so glad for LHCF. I mean all you ladies have changed my life.

MissNina

Libra Girl
I just meant someone that said she relaxed every week with a super strength relaxer. Has anyone ever heard of this before. I am trying to change her habits and have her join here for more information.

:eek: :eek:

Her poor head!!!!!!!!!! Yes, please have her join here. At least lurk :lachen:

Glamorous_chic

i used to relax every 4-6 weeks. my hair dresser has gotten me to start stretching to 8 weeks. i used to only relax 2-3 times a year also, but my hair was breaking off really badly, and my stylist told me it was b/c i was waiting too long and the difference in textures was causing my hair to break. after that, i started going faithfully every 4-6 weeks. i usually waited 6 weeks though, very very rarely 4 weeks. now, i'm doing 8 weeks.

MissNina

Libra Girl
believe it or not, your head don't hurt. I know people who did that but it was with a shorter hair cuts.

SUPER strength relaxer....every week?? Forget it hurting, I am just totally surprised she isn't completely bald yet. She has some favor from Somebody up there. Like that just can't be healthy :nono: Hopefully, she is able to help her friend.

HoneyDew

For me, it was because my hair got harder to deal with. Styling was not as easy and my hair broke as I combed it.

Now DEEP CONDITIONING has been a hair saver for me. High quality heat tools and AMAZING moisturizers have been wonderful.

Trial and error is what did it for me. Patience, too. There were time, where I just wanted to relax because of breakage or my hair not doing what I wanted it to do with ease. I had to say NO. Just deep condition it and tie it down.

I still won't go past 8-9 weeks though. Just my preference.

gymfreak336

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Lawd, I remember bone straight.:lachen: Girl, I was washing with Dark N Lovely, instant conditioning with Infusium of all things, then blowdrying and wondering why my hair looked like straw. Then I would curl the ends under.:lachen:Occasionally, I would gel it real good and let it dry in a ponytail, and it would stay flat then. Oh man, the thing we used to do.:nono:

I had the big bottle of bone straight and a gold conair curling iron. You couldn't tell me I wasn't the suga honey iced tea. I just new I had it going on. I used to spray pump it up hair spray on it and then use the curling iron. I used to love hearing it sizzle:nono:

The Princess

I don't even get NG until the 4-5th week. Relaxing early would cause overlapping. Better them than me. I wouldn't do it.

ajacks

I would never do that now, but in the past it was ignorance to healthy hair care practices that led me to do that. I would ask for a touch up whenever I had the slightest bit of new growth and the hair stylist(s), who were the so-called professionals, would happily slap a relaxer in there charge me $60 and send me on my way.

chebaby

i guess its hard to imagine when u dont have a quick growth spurt urself. In 4 weeks..there is no ng for me. Maybe a slight wave but thats it. I dont start seeing true ng til week 9+. Its still hard to imagine someone with major ng by week 4...but i guess it happens
yea, thats why i was asking. its been a week since the last time i flat ironed and i have growth but that doesnt happen often. its been about 8-9 weeks since my last relaxer and although i have growth im not even thinking about relaxing. i've found that lately i want to transition. i transitioned recently for 11 months and the only reason i relaxed was because at the time i was in "i dont care" mode. but my hair is so fine that flat ironing gets it so straight with one pass(dont know if thats good or bad). i would love for my hair to be thicker and i have it in my head that relaxers are the reason its not.

Last edited:

sylver2

I use to relax every 4 weeks. Soon as a lil new growth(1inch) came in i couldn't manage it. it would start shedding, breaking and knotting. i didn't kno how to manage it without it being relaxed. Growing up i was always known as the skinny big frizzy hair girl. Then when i was relaxed it was still big and frizzy, i didn't discover a flat iron until my late 20's.
i blow dried it like every day..so hair was DRY DRY DRY all the time. It strted breaking off to where i had 2 inch hairs sticking up all over my head and parts. I would literally have to yank them out or cut them off because they wouldn't lay down...still getting my 4 week touchups:nono:
thn i found this board.
I learned about leave in conditioners and stretching

chebaby

I use to relax every 4 weeks. Soon as a lil new growth(1inch) came in i couldn't manage it. it would start shedding, breaking and knotting. i didn't kno how to manage it without it being relaxed. Growing up i was always known as the skinny big frizzy hair girl. Then when i was relaxed it was still big and frizzy, i didn't discover a flat iron until my late 20's.
i blow dried it like every day..so hair was DRY DRY DRY all the time. It strted breaking off to where i had 2 inch hairs sticking up all over my head and parts. I would literally have to yank them out or cut them off because they wouldn't lay down...still getting my 4 week touchups:nono:
thn i found this board.
I learned about leave in conditioners and stretching
yep. i never abused relaxers but i used to flat iron everyday. sometimes i would use the curling iron and sprits everyday too. funny thing is my hair was alway past sl but not apl and it was fairly thick. i would go months without washing my hair sometimes but was still flat ironing. i NEVER used leave ins until i came to this board.

trenise

Girl I read the directions. I just thought the "white man" didn't know what he was talking about and he don't know what really goes on with "black" hair.:rolleyes: I'm so glad for LHCF. I mean all you ladies have changed my life.

Yeah. I just figured "they" didn't understand "my" hair. I'm so glad to know better now.