No Relaxer challenge

kking7777

Hello I am new to this board but I noticed that most of you relax your hair. I have been growing out my relaxer for 6 months now and my goal is to one day have long pressed hair (with a curling iron only). Well some of you want thicker longer hair and as soon as I stopped relaxing my hair I noticed that I was finally getting longer thicker hair. I am not the transitioner that is preaching happy to be nappy or anything like that because I enjoy straight hair, you can achieve the same great look too without chemicals... Believe me!

So this is my challenge to all of you who would like to try to go without the relaxer to have great hair that will remind you of your youth again.......

It is possible to have relaxed hair that is long AND thick. i dont think it is a trade off thing. there are many many relaxed here with the thickness and length some naturals will not get or cant. it all depends on how the hair is treated and diet certainly plus genetics!

i have been natural and had thin hair esp at the front due to tight braids and crap hairdressing /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i will try growing my hair relaxer free once i have reached my hair goals with the relaxer and see how i prefer to wear my hair. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pandora said:
it all depends on how the hair is treated and diet certainly plus genetics!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the Vitamin B5 /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pandora said:
yeah i said it, diet /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheeky, you know what I meant /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi KKing and welcome aboard.

I went natural for 3 years and yes, my hair did become thicker and longer. I too straightened my hair with a low setting blow dryer and hot curlers. I loved the texture and how strong my hair felt. My usual hairstyle was either a curly pom-pom on the top or back of my head or blown out. I never wore bantu knots, braids or afros.

The downside: The longer my hair got, the harder it was to manage. It would take me two hours just to style on wash day, and that's not including the wash &amp; conditioning. I decided to texturize and it has made a huge difference. Besides, you can have healthy, thick hair with a relaxer. You just have to make sure to treat your hair with TLC and absolutely no over-lapping. I think the over-lapping is what makes a person's hair thin out and become limp and lifeless.

I'm a natural too and I do feel that my hair is stronger and more resistant to breakage in it's natural state than when it was relaxed.

I definitely agree with pandora that it's not a relaxer that makes your hair weak, it is how you put on that relaxer.

There are many long haired women hair who do relax their hair which is a testament to the fact that you can relax your hair and it won't break off/thin down or fall off.

There are also many long haired natural women who are a testament that to the fact that you can manage your natural hair well enough for it to grow long.

So in conclusion /images/graemlins/smile.gif............You can have long thick hair whether it is natural hair or relaxed hair. I would name names but I'm afraid that I could forget some and that wouldn't be right.

WOW! This is a very informative thread!

I don't want to get too off topic, but when you speak of B5 are you speaking of taking it internally or applying it externally with a preparation such as Infusium 23?

P.S. I guess that this post would be more so directed towards LondonDiva since she mentioned it.

they are taking about taking it internally. tracy has been using this for some time and her hair has thickened up. this was recommended for those who have fine hair which they had naturally. God bless you all.

This has been a dilema of mines for some time now. I could never be "nappy" as they say ie is without relaxer or straighting comb. As I have a need to easily comb/style my hair. I was gonna grow out the perm last year (summer) bad time and just press the new growth and the goal was to go back to press &amp; curl. Well my Aunt who was a hairdresser 50 years said that heat is just as damaging only it does not change the structure of your hair as the chemical does.

I can't press the back of my properly so it was very frustrating. THEN I was led to Cathy Howse and found that if you take care of relaxed hair it can be problem free.

Well anyway, my decideing factor was my aunt she is 85 years old, still relaxing and still has GOOD hair. Hair is dead, wheter relaxed or virgin so what we do is maintain it and keep it as we say 'LOOKING HEALTHLY', looking is the key word, cause nothing dead can be healthly, just pereserved and looking good.

So, due to the fact that I want low mainteance, straight hair I'm probably a lifer.

Afro, twists/braides, puffs and locs are not for everyone, I'm one of them.

My niece is 5, this chick has almost waist lenght virgin afro american hair, a ton of hair, I told her mom not to put relaxer in her hair, were talking 31/2 hours of hell on wash day which she does one a month, well she almost stoned me when I said she should wash more often. LOL

So my point is virgin hair is definitely STRONGER.

It's all a matter of what you want to deal with.

No Relaxing definitely saves moola!!!

All of you ladies make a good point. I feel that hair can be healthy regardless of what you do relax/natural, etc. as long as you have the knowledge to take care of it. Hence, the word "Knowledge". /images/graemlins/wink.gif With that said, I would love to grow out my relaxer. I definately feel that my hair would be healthier. I just realized that I don't have the time to deal with it. I tried pressing for three weeks, but I just realized that my lifestyle at this point can't handle the time it takes. So, I relax even though I'm not crazy about it for ease. I need low maintenance hair. I'm spending money on relaxing and products but I will deal with that, because cutting all my hair off and dealing with my texture is not an option at this point in my life. But hey, you never know!! /images/graemlins/look.gif

I am six months into my transition also. When I was getting bone-straight relaxers, I always thought my hair was very fine and thin. Now, that I have stop relaxing, I am discovering how thick my hair can be and I really like it.

also to add not everyone has thick hair to begin with. i mean strands. so for some people regardless of whether they relax or not they will have fine hair. the thickness may come from what it described for the hair type 4: it is actually quite fine, with lots and lots of these strands densely packed together.
improper use of relaxers,overlapping,overprocessing, not caring for the hair afterwards is also a reason why you see so many stringy haired looking relaxers out there. talk to some girls with relaxers and some dont wash their hair on a regular schedule for fear of messing up their do and they just pile more on more oil/petroleum based products on their hair which sits there leaving the hair to look dirty and stringy and plastered to their heads. also leaving the relaxer on over the time needed and getting the hair bone straight. i have seen enough women who get their hair properly relaxed to know what i just described is not the norm. any chemical in the wrong hands will not work efficiently. if things are not done in order to prepare the hair before and after a relaxing treatment there will be problems. there are many ladies with thick hair and it is relaxed. diet, proper care,genetics, supplements as mentioned can contribute to the look of the hair. God bless you all.

same here Nita 4...

It's an ease and not a health thing for me. I like wearing my hair straight quite often and frankly, because my hair has remained so healthy despite relaxing and extensive coloring, I have no incentive to stop relaxing.

I can totally understand the draw of natural hair though for women whose hair really doesn't respond well to the chemicals in relaxers. Totally makes sense to get rid of the chemicals and straighten it manually.

Hearing all of the problems women have with relaxers - and knowing my own preference for having one - I thank my lucky stars that I don't have the trouble some women have with them. And I also thank GOD for the boards which has given me the information (and information is SO key /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) I need for my hair to flourish - relaxer or no.

welcome to the group, kking! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i believe that i have great hair with a relaxer. i haven't lost any thickness because of it. it just requires a little more care, but i have managed to achieve results with a low maintenance regime.

i'm glad that pressing vs. relaxing is working for you. we'd love to see pics. i personally love seeing pics of healthy, natural hair!

adrienne

we'd love to see pics. i personally love seeing pics of healthy, natural hair!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Let's see those pics.

Azul, My daughter is one of them. It makes me sick and she still has a thick full head of hair. She's not seeing the lenghth she could but she does all the bad things to her hair and still has it..

I told her it's gonna catch up to her someday soon...

justice, i've also been taking it since september i think. i've noticed a difference in the thickness of my hair. on christmas, i noticed a strand of hair on my shirt (friction loss, girl. lol!). when i examined it, it actually felt thicker on the end with the bulb as i ran it between my fingers.

i've never had a problem with thin hair (strand wise), but i have had a problem with excessive shedding. needless to say, i'm very consistent with my vitamins now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

No Relaxing definitely saves moola!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Since getting onto this hair board, I average one new product a week. I haven't even tried some of them but I get them anyway. I have so many new conditioners and moisturisers. I am spending alot more on my hair than any other time in my life. I think that relaxing hair is only slightly more expensive if you go to a salon for all your treatments. I can't trust anyone with my natural hair at the mo, so there is some sort of saving (Which can be spent on products!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Hi all, i'm new to the board, but i've been "visiting and reading the posts for a while. you guyz have brought up a lot of interesting things. I have been natural for about 7 months and i am loving my hair now. I was a relaxer junkie (at the first sight of new growth I got a touch up). but now since i usually wear my hair in braids, it has a chance to just chill, and i like it natural soo much better. though i do agree it is not for everyone. <font color="purple"> </font>

kking7777 said:
Hello I am new to this board but I noticed that most of you relax your hair. I have been growing out my relaxer for 6 months now and my goal is to one day have long pressed hair (with a curling iron only). Well some of you want thicker longer hair and as soon as I stopped relaxing my hair I noticed that I was finally getting longer thicker hair. I am not the transitioner that is preaching happy to be nappy or anything like that because I enjoy straight hair, you can achieve the same great look too without chemicals... Believe me!

So this is my challenge to all of you who would like to try to go without the relaxer to have great hair that will remind you of your youth again.......

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually made me consider transitioning...You need to be some sort of motivational speaker...I'm serious. I'm seriously considering going natural.. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

What if we went months and months without a relaxer and got about 3 to 4 inches of new growth, relaxed it but missed some of the hair in between that was between the new growth and the previously relaxed hair? is that potentially damaging? Do you have to make sure you relax all parts of the new growth or can you just basically get the root of that 4-inch growth? /images/graemlins/huh.gif Okay, I've just confused myself. Does ANYONE know what I"m asking here...?

/images/graemlins/huh.gif Just kidding. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I understand what you mean.
Well, if the person applying the relaxer knows what they're doing, I don't think that would happen. But in case it did, I would imagine that it could cause some breakage. /images/graemlins/look.gif

Leshia, I did this after taking out my braids. My whole intention was to go natural. But, I didn't know what to do with my hair afterwards so, I relaxed it. Yes, it can be damaging because if you don't relax all of the new growth, you are going to have to do a correct relaxer afterwards. All depending on the state of your hair this could be very damaging. As in my case relaxing two weeks after taking my braids out - my hair was a mess. I had totally missed spots, my hair was dry and I really thought I was gonna lose it. I was told to deep condition for 10 weeks straight and totally eliminate heat before getting a correct relaxer. This worked, but it's better to get it done right the first time. Does that answer you question??

Pandora said:
i have been natural and had thin hair esp at the front due to tight braids and crap hairdressing /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can get them with a perm too. I'm proof of that. Bad haircare is bad haircare.

i will try growing my hair relaxer free once i have reached my hair goals with the relaxer and see how i prefer to wear my hair. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

While I like to see people attempting to wear their natural hair, I'm not sure if that is a good idea, Pandora. Natural and relaxed hair do not get along and eventually the strength of the natural hair with break off the relaxed ends. Long haired transitioners are usually the most upset because they realize that they are going to have to cut off a serious portion of their hair. You might have to start over.

If anything it should be the reverse. Grow your hair long naturally then perm it.

BrightEyes said:
Pandora said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can get them with a perm too. I'm proof of that. Bad haircare is bad haircare.

[/ QUOTE ]

err, i wasnt making generalisations,just speaking from my own experience but thanks for your input /images/graemlins/look.gif

Back