Non-Chemical Relaxers!!!

texasqt

I'm a relaxed 4a/b and I cannot go longer than 4-5 weeks without getting my hair relaxed. I had been wearing braids until March when I took them out and cut off most of my hair (mid-ear length). After my last relaxer I wanted to stretch out to 6 weeks and almost didn't make it until I found Smooth 'N Shine Straight Out Non-Chemical Relaxing Balm and it worked! I think I can go another 4-5 weeks without relaxing my hair!

Has anyone else stumbled upon a non-chemical relaxer?

I used KMS non-chemical relaxing creme and it also worked well. I even used it after I had been swimming!

For, those who have used it, is it possible to never have to chemical relax again?

I'll keep using it until it's all gone and let you know the future results!

Karisha

T

Tee

Phyto Phytodefrisant Botanical Relaxing Balm works well for me, but it's sooooo expensive. Does the Smooth 'N Shine Balm require the use of heat?

iwantlongerhair

This is a good thread I've been looking for information about stuff like this. I think I'm going to give it a try around week 8 I am currently only 3 weeks post relaxer.

texasqt

The directions say to add to towel-dryed hair after washing and blow-dry it out. It has a heat-protector added to it. I used my leave-in conditioner and added the non-chem. creme, putting it all through my hair especially on the roots. I actually applied it as if I was putting my chemical relaxer on. Next, I did use a blow-dryer with a comb on it drying my hair in sections. It really made my hair soft and manageable and I didn't get much breakage. After my hair was dry I added a bit more to the sections before I flat-ironed it to style it. I also used a lite pressing oil that has a thermal heat protector in it before doing this.

I figure if I can give up the chemicals the heat wouldn't be as bad. Especially for my hair.

And it wasn't even expensive - $4.99 for the Smooth N Shine and I think I liked that a bit better than the KMS that I got my big sister to by me for $17.

Tx. Q-T

Karonica

So can it relax the curl without the blowdrying? Just curious, I want some now.

texasqt

It did somewhat relax the curl in my hair and made it soft and manageable before I put the blow-dryer to it. Before that putting a comb through my hair was not a wise thing to do. I guess it depends on how straight you want it.

texasqt

[ QUOTE ]
Tee said:
Phyto Phytodefrisant Botanical Relaxing Balm works well for me, but it's sooooo expensive. Does the Smooth 'N Shine Balm require the use of heat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tee-

How does this one work and what results have you gotten?
Also, do you still use a chem. relaxer? If so, how often?

Queenie

Does it only work until the next time you wash your hair or is the time a set amount of days?

T

Tee

[ QUOTE ]
texasqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tee said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Tee-

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it. What I like about it most is that it works well without heat. It gets my hair about 70% straight without heat, which is sufficient for me. It does a good job of blending in my new growth with my relaxed hair. I just wish it were less expensive. I relax about every 3 months.

texasqt

[ QUOTE ]
Queenie said:
Does it only work until the next time you wash your hair or is the time a set amount of days?

[/ QUOTE ]

That I haven't figured out yet. The Smooth N Shine stated that the product works better with every use. I've washed my hair once since using it and it was still pretty straight, soft, and manageable. I used it again then though. I think it takes time to wear off but the more you use it (which shouldn't be a problem since it's non-chem) the better the results will be.

Doing some internet research on it now...

texasqt

This is a site about Smooth N Shine's product. It does say that you can use withouth heat.

http://www.folica.com/Smooth__N_Shine_d1510.html

The ingredients listed are
Butylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Cyclomethicone, Hexylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Polyacrylamide, Phenyl Trimethicone, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Wheat Amino Acids, Commiphora Myrrha (Myrrh) Extract, Silk Amino Acids, Panthenol Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (Parfum).

Do you see anything harmful?

texasqt

These are the ingredients in the KMS stuff:

Extracts of Chamomile, Rosemary, Lemongrass, Sea Kelp and nettle, Together with Cyclomethicone, Propylene Glycol, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone, Hexylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyacrylamide, Laureth 7, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance

Sounds okay to me...

jacqui_m

These are the ingredients in the KMS stuff:

Extracts of Chamomile, Rosemary, Lemongrass, Sea Kelp and nettle, Together with Cyclomethicone, Propylene Glycol, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone, Hexylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyacrylamide, Laureth 7, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance

Sounds okay to me...

Propylene glycol is the active ingredient in antifreeze... it breaks down protein and cellular structure (what the skin is made of) it's very toxic.

texasqt

Teach Sister Jacqui!
That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Since you mentioned that I looked at a few other products that I have under my cabinet and they too include Propylene Glycol. I mean everything from my IC conditioner, Profectiv hair oil, and even my BATH AND BODY WORKS LOTIONS AND CREAMS!!!

So, is propylene just bad all together or in excess? and which is the lesser of the two evils, propylene glycol or the lye perm I was using?

Thanks for the tip!

texasqt

Found this on a site:

Propylene Glycol is a humectant or humidifying agent, solvent and delivery ingredient used in cosmetics.
Since Propylene Glycol can penetrate the outermost layer of the skin and carry the active ingredients into deeper layers of the epidermis it is an extremely common ingredient in cosmetics and is found in a variety of products.

Typical usage: up to 30%

INCI: propylene glycol

Propylene Glycol is used in anti-freeze, brake and hydraulic fluid, de-icer, paints and coatings, floor wax, laundry detergents, and tobacco. Along with Cosmetics, toothpastes, shampoos, deodorants, lotions, processed food, dog food, and many more personal care products.

Propylene glycol is a chemical compound, usually a tasteless, odorless clear liquid. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined it to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in food, cosmetics, and medicines. It is used to store or retain moisture in foods and other products. The compound is also used to make artificial smoke for use in firefighters' training and theatrical productions.

Often mistaken for ethylene glycol (a toxic ingredient in common automotive coolant/antifreeze), proplylene glycol is non-toxic to humans and laboratory animals even in elevated amounts. However, similar to ethylene glycol, propylene glycol raises the body's acidity.

Propylene Glycol is on the US Food and Drug Administration's list of ingredients which are Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) and is recognized by the World Health Organization as safe for use.

According to the ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry), Propylene Glycol has not been classified as a carcinogen and has not resulted in any carcinogenic effects. It is safe for consumption and breaks down in the body very quickly.

The information herein is given in good faith, but no warranty, expressed or implied is made.

Neroli

IMO, propylene glycol is not a major problem - the fact that it is used industrially in a wide range of products does not automatically make this a bad thing; after all, lye is cautic ingredient and it too is in a lot of everyday stuff, from soaps to relaxers. It is not the ingredient in isolation per se, but rather the percentage used and how it is formulated with other ingredients. That said, the problem for me with the ingredents posted for both non-chemical balms would be the numerious 'cones listed (Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone) these are pretty much the same ingredients used in the john freida "relax" line and other "straighting" "anti-frizz" products.

My 4b hair cannot take repeated use of 'cones overtime. I can always get my new growth straght with any leave in (with or without 'cones) and a blow dryer. The repeated coating with 'cones AND use of heat simply kills my hair (these are the very habits I have had to break in the last couple of years in order to FINALLY get healthy, strong hair).

The revolution for me would be to get it my new growth straight WITHOUT resorting to direct heat or using a caustic chemical like lye.

sengschick

The Bun Master
[ QUOTE ]
Tee said:
[ QUOTE ]
texasqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tee said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Tee-

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it. What I like about it most is that it works well without heat. It gets my hair about 70% straight without heat, which is sufficient for me. It does a good job of blending in my new growth with my relaxed hair. I just wish it were less expensive. I relax about every 3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second Tee on this one. Phyto's Balm is wonderful!!!
It works very well on hair whether heat has been used or not. It's effects are increased and very noticable when heat is used. It's only good for the wash. It too claims to get hair smoother over time, but I can't attest to that. But I have no issues managing my new growth either. I've been using if after every wash for several months now and haven't noticed that it's changing the "structure" of my hair w/o using the product. But I can say it on my must-have's list and it's staying. I texturize twice a year. I'm 15 weeks post relaxer and my new growth is blending well, it all smoothes easily.

It's only $22, and it's one product that you definitely don't need to use alot of no matter who dense your hair happens to be (mine is very dense). I can't imagine needing to buy more than 2 tubes a year and I wash 2-3 times per week.

Here's the info:

Anti-Frizz

Specially designed for relaxing the hair and softening permed and naturally frizzy hair, Phytodefrisant balm combines extracts of Ferula, Horseradish, Sage and plant mucilage.

These extracts work synergistically to provide natural, chemical-free hair relaxing benefits while protecting the hair fiber.

In addition to its smoothing action, the original alcohol-free formula works to rehydrate and strengthen the hair without making it greasy or weighing it down.

Phytodefrisant may be used every time after every shampooing; the more frequent the applications, the smoother your hair and the more exceptional its shine.

Ingredients:
Althea Officinalis Root Extract (Mucilage Vegetal) (Botanical Origin), Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract (Sauge) (Botanical Origin), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract (Matricaire) (Botanical Origin), Cochlearia Armoracia (Horseradish) Root Extract (Raifort) (Botanical Origin), Ferula Assa Foetida Root Extract (Ferula) (Botanical Origin), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Parabens (Ethyl, butyl) (Preservative), Methylchloroisothiazolinone (Preservative), Methylisothiazolinone (Preservative) -Cone FREE!!!

Neroli

sengschick: That looks pretty good and no 'cones nor alcohol . . . Dang! I may HAVE to try this. Do you use instead of a leave-in? What do you do?

sengschick

The Bun Master
@Super:
You do have new cabinets to fill!

@Neroli: It is. I'm a recovering Phyto addict!! I am really thankful for the Dominican products, b/c they are much, much kinder to my pockets!!!

I think it's worthy. I think it's worth the cost b/c it's a definite stand-out. I use it as a leave-in along w/Lacio Lacio. I actually spray in vitamins first, then follow w/the Phytodefrisant. I run it through my hair and by the time I start applying the Lacio, I can run my fingers through it like a dream. That's what I love most about the product, b/c I used to detangle for an eternity. If I for some reason have to comb my hair again after my final rinse, w/the Phyto I lose no additional hair, since any lingering tangles vanish!!! I don't make any special effort to apply it to my roots, just try to distribute it evenly and that's been sufficient.

I only used it w/heat a few times (only b/c I gave up heat shortly after purchasing) but my hair was so light, wonderfully full, boucy and straightened quickly. Mine seems to dry a bit faster too (but not dry out). The other great thing I think Tee mentioned too is that it's totally undetectable, has zero weight and leaves no residue.

texasqt

Sounds like I need to make a trip back to the beauty supply store - AGAIN!!!

So far I prefer the Smooth N Shine to the KMS, but looks like I'm going to have to try this Photo stuff. I definitely need a hair budget.

There are some other products out there such as the got2B Shine serum, citre shine, Rusk St8, and FrizzEase. Has anyone used any of those and what where the results?

sengschick

The Bun Master
FrizzEase can't compare to Phyto. I can't tell if it's good or not. I kept buying it though hoping!
But once I found Phyto I never bothered w/it again. Never tried any of the other products.

texasqt

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:
...My 4b hair cannot take repeated use of 'cones overtime. I can always get my new growth straght with any leave in (with or without 'cones) and a blow dryer. The repeated coating with 'cones AND use of heat simply kills my hair (these are the very habits I have had to break in the last couple of years in order to FINALLY get healthy, strong hair)...

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of leave-in conditioner are you using???

For my hair, air-dried or blown, I still end up with a poof. I mean afro-city with a relaxer. The non-chem. balm is the only thing that I've found so far to soften my hair and get it to just lay down, not even mentioning straightning it.

I'm like you, I wish I could find something that would relax it without heat or lye...but in the meantime I think getting rid of the chemicals is a start.

Neroli

I use nexxus headdress or giovanni direct leave-ins. Those are the two I stick with after trying tons of others -- they do not have 'cones nor alcohol and they provide thermal protection from appliances and sun. They both leave my hair smooth, straight and bouncy when I rollerset and air or hood dry, even with up to 10 weeks of new growth, my hair rocks when I take the time.

Hey, I use to "jet set" my hair back in the day -- wash, condition for like 1 minute, blow dry and go with the occasional salon visit for those special occasions. I couldn't conceive of spending more than an hour washing and styling my own hair. And my was okay, not great, but pretty decent. However, when, I started slowly working in the extra time each week, the results were simply dramatic -- nothing motivates like positive reinforcment. Indeed, I actually do LESS stuff to my hair, the extra time is drying time because I don't use heat to speed it up so I'm actually "handling" my hair less (if that makes sense?!)

Anywho, these days, my "hair time" is also my "pamper myself and catch up on my reading time" . . .

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
@Super:
You do have new cabinets to fill!

@Neroli: It is. I'm a recovering Phyto addict!! I am really thankful for the Dominican products, b/c they are much, much kinder to my pockets!!!

I think it's worthy. I think it's worth the cost b/c it's a definite stand-out. I use it as a leave-in along w/Lacio Lacio. I actually spray in vitamins first, then follow w/the Phytodefrisant. I run it through my hair and by the time I start applying the Lacio, I can run my fingers through it like a dream. That's what I love most about the product, b/c I used to detangle for an eternity. If I for some reason have to comb my hair again after my final rinse, w/the Phyto I lose no additional hair, since any lingering tangles vanish!!! I don't make any special effort to apply it to my roots, just try to distribute it evenly and that's been sufficient.

I only used it w/heat a few times (only b/c I gave up heat shortly after purchasing) but my hair was so light, wonderfully full, boucy and straightened quickly. Mine seems to dry a bit faster too (but not dry out). The other great thing I think Tee mentioned too is that it's totally undetectable, has zero weight and leaves no residue.

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH! Stop making it sound so good.