Not feeling sorry for others.

kally

What does that mean? I run across a lot of christians who said that God does not want us to feel sorry for one another. This makes no sense to me. I always feel sorry for and pray for others.

pebbles

kally said:
What does that mean? I run across a lot of christians who said that God does not want us to feel sorry for one another. This makes no sense to me. I always feel sorry for and pray for others.

I'm not really sure what the person was trying to say, so I can't comment directly on that. However, here are some passages to consider.

Proverbs 19:17 "He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done."

Proverbs 21:13 "If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered."

Proverbs 28:27 "He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses."

Jesus loved us enough to be compassionate. Mark 6: 34 "And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things."

Jesus loved us enough to supply "earthly needs." Matthew 15: 32 Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, "I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way."

Jesus loved us enough and had compassion enough to give us hope. John 14:1-3 "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."

1 John 3:17-18 "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth."

God is serious about us helping and caring for each other. Jesus himself displays compassion for us in some of the passages listed above. There's so much more scripture to read on compassion for others.

Again, I don't know what exactly the person was trying to say, but when it comes to having compassion for one another, the Bible is clear on what our role is to be. HTH. :)