now, i just dont know what do do!!!

Shatani

i read at another board that its common for the BSS's owned my asians to sell counterfit hair care products...not only that, but they often sell stuff that is WELL passed the expiration date....this sucks!!!! every BSS near me is owned by asian folk...i dont know who to trust anymore!!:(

i know the solution is to stick to chains like drugstores and sally's, but now im apprehensive about EVERYTHING! i have this kemi oyl conditioning spray, that smells weird (although i dont know how its SUPPOSED to smell) and im scared to use it! they say that the counterfit stuff causes people's hair to break, and causes weird rashes sometimes....

so sad...i guess, i will have to stop being a PJ...but at least i can still get my accessories and stuff there...
~T~

MizAvalon

On a similar note, I know for a fact that MANY BSS's and/or drugstore or supermarket type places that sell salon products are selling compromised, black market, or diluted products. That's why I will never buy anything that is a salon product from some corner BSS or a drugstore. I don't even know how they get away with it, because if my info is correct it's illegal for them to even carry that stuff. I'd rather pay more and know that I'm getting a pure product.

Tai

I buy my salon products from Trade Secret, Beauty First, Nordstroms, Neiman Marcus, Charisma Spa (Livonia), and BoRics. I don't buy salon products from the Asian BSS.

Shatani

this is just crazy!!! i just dont know who to trust...maybe i'll just start mixing my own stuff....that way i KNOW what im getting!

ubavka123

I buy hairpins and such from the Asian BSS, but the one I frequent always has dusty products on the shelf, which raised my antenna. So, even if they are the real thing, how LONG have they been sitting there?
Then again, if Sheldeez is the only option, from the reviews they get, I don't know what the next choice is? Finding a hairdresser who can hook you up on the side????

Tracy

I've never had this problem.
I'm sorry tohear it happens. I've always had great success with products from Asian BSS.

Dare~to~Dream

I got a moisturizer from there that I normally get at another store and it WAS DIFFERENT...the moisturizer was watery and the top was even different that the one I normally get..I used it anyway...luckily my hair didn't fall out. That's the only time I had a problem though...

AceH

<font color="blue"> whoa! I'm happy to report that I've been ONLY shopping at Sally's lately... </font>

MizAvalon

[ QUOTE ]
tlmack said:
MizAvalon, where are you buying your products from then?
Let a sistah know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only buy from an actual salon or if they're not carrying what I want, I buy online from beautybazzar.com or diamondbeauty.com. All of the places that Tai mentioned are good as well.

godzooki

my bss has some products that have not only dust on them but the kind of dust that smears to a tar like residue when you wipe. yuck! I always check the condtion of the bottle and see if I can find a date. I also heard that counterfeit products are a problem and I remember a while ago someone mentioned that they were looking at a JCPenny salon while a stylist poured stuff into either a mizzani or keracare bottle then put it on the shelve. Ever since that I've been opening the caps and seeing if they have a seal on the bottle or if it's been disturbed. I open and smell everything and get stared at by the asian owners.

cutebajangirl

I buy all salon products from JCPENNY/Sears or trade secret, and I always check to see if the seal is there. The vast maority of products have a seal. Of course countefiters can put a seal too.
I only order online if I am ordering directly from the company like directly from Dudley's, Avalon etc.

Sweetyb

I think big name hair product distributors should start putting seals on their bottles, like what is done for medicaiton. What if someone pours something harmful into a hair product and it's sitting on a store's shelf?

Ipanema

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetyb said:
What if someone pours something harmful into a hair product and it's sitting on a store's shelf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I worry about that, too, and it's so easy for someone to do that. They could squeeze some Nair or something into a bottle of conditioner &amp; shake it up.

Paladin

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sweetyb said:
What if someone pours something harmful into a hair product and it's sitting on a store's shelf?

[/ QUOTE ]

I worry about that, too, and it's so easy for someone to do that. They could squeeze some Nair or something into a bottle of conditioner &amp; shake it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know you are absolutely right! This is a good and necessary thread in that it is alerting us regarding Asian bss products which could possibly be INTENTIONALLY CORRUPTED! I know that I am going adjust my hair care buying habits for the future.

Thanks everyone for the heads up!

Tracy

I don't know if I believe this is any kind of a deliberate sabatoge issue.

I'm glad Shatani mentioned it, but I wouldn't be worried so much about people putting things into products and getting my panties all in a bunch.

Think about it. How many people have actually bought something from an Asian BSS that messed up their hair??? And how many of us having been using them for years?

I'm just not sure I'd worry as much as all this.

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I don't know if I believe this is any kind of a deliberate sabatoge issue.

I'm glad Shatani mentioned it, but I wouldn't be worried so much about people putting things into products and getting my panties all in a bunch.

Think about it. How many people have actually bought something from an Asian BSS that messed up their hair??? And how many of us having been using them for years?

I'm just not sure I'd worry as much as all this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I usually buy accessories (rollers, scrucis, hairties, etc.) from BSS and the occassional product, but never had any problems. I tend to stick to salons for professional products and drugstores for drugstore products. If I'm gonna worry, I'd be more concern about harmful things in food and medicines, not hair care products . . . .

M_BYRON_M

I ve got the same problem Ive often heard rumours of watering down products etc.And 99% of the hair shops in my area are run by Asians .I remember i was out getting stuff and i was going from shop to shop price comparing and i opened up a ORS carrot oil to smell it and it looked and smelled completely diffrernt ot the one i had seen in the previous shop in the end i didnt buy it because i didnt know which one was correct and which one wasnt.

Luckily I have found a Hair shop owned by black people with "reasonable" prices and tend to trust them more becasue you see them putting the products on the shelves out of the boxes and they quite happy to tell you delivery dates .And ive seen items been delivered and the workers there stacking them straight on to the shelves .

One of my Aunty has brought products form a shop in west croydon and it really burned her scalp and it was a nexxus conditioner which she had used before with good results. and since then shes condemed the shop and told all the people she knew not to go there because of what they do. I think you can somewhat just tell which shops are dodgy and which shops arent by the quality of staff , layoutof shops and extremly high or really low prices .

AshCash

Can we just be careful with the tone of this thread? Sorry if I seem a bit sensitive. I don't mean any harm
Thanks...

CocoaButterflyy

just be careful in what you buy and comparison shop. Like one BSS where I used to live had a relaxer box in there that I know my mom had when I was in like the 3rd grade because my dad took a pic of her and the box was in the pic lol. Although it may be cheaper at the BSS I would buy salon products from an authorized seller to be safe

msniq

Shan-
I just wanna give you a hug. I can "hear" the disperation in your voice.
Sometimes you can check the crimp of the tube for a date or man. code. I know that Paul Mitchell and the people ffrom nexus told me that. also if it is a tub check the bottom for the same info. Usually they have one english speaking usually black person working in the store and pull them over and ask them. Sometimes it is hard for them to lie to US!

keke

I dont even buy hair products that much anymore. As for moisturizer i haven't bought s-curl in like a month and a half to maybe 2 months. I just use my lil concoction of water, glycerin and some times add in some oil. Spray it in and thats it. I use hairgrease sometimes and that can vary but mainly its sulpher 8. So i am trying to simply myself, which is easy to do since im broke. LOL. I try not to buy the dusty stuff i see on the shelf at times too. Its too old. Does hairgrease have a date of death on it too?

ladylibra_30

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
On a similar note, I know for a fact that MANY BSS's and/or drugstore or supermarket type places that sell salon products are selling compromised, black market, or diluted products. That's why I will never buy anything that is a salon product from some corner BSS or a drugstore. I don't even know how they get away with it, because if my info is correct it's illegal for them to even carry that stuff. I'd rather pay more and know that I'm getting a pure product.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the same thing a male salesman at trade secret told me after i told him that eckerds sells nexxus, paul mitchell, paul sebastian products!

ladylibra_30

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
I buy hairpins and such from the Asian BSS, but the one I frequent always has dusty products on the shelf, which raised my antenna. So, even if they are the real thing, how LONG have they been sitting there?
Then again, if Sheldeez is the only option, from the reviews they get, I don't know what the next choice is? Finding a hairdresser who can hook you up on the side????

[/ QUOTE ]

my hairdresse 'hooks' me up w/keracare and design essentials products....and for this i am totally grateful.

L

ladybug

i think asian ppl sepcialize in doing things like this...and then on top of that want to disrespct you in their store by following you around...

when i was younger i used to buy from them now...i dont buy things from them because their stuff is suspect..and so are they

ladylibra_30

[ QUOTE ]
ladybug said:
i think asian ppl sepcialize in doing things like this...and then on top of that want to disrespct you in their store by following you around...

when i was younger i used to buy from them now...i dont buy things from them because their stuff is suspect..and so are they

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't care if they follow me per se....if they do it in a rude manner (not greeting me and asking if i need assistance and JUST following me w/out speaking to me) then i ask (her) to carry my items
, or i start following (her) or staring at (her)
, or if i'm feeling especially stank i pick up a bunch of stuff and let (her) ring it up and then say that i've changed my mind and won't be spending my money their establishment

i can always 'stomach' the salesperson who atleast speaks and pretends that she is cleaning/organizing bottles

AshCash

[ QUOTE ]
ladybug said:
i dont buy things from them because their stuff is suspect..and so are they

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to hear u feel this way

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
asians are suspect? come on guys, dont generalize, we dont like when its done to us.

i rarely buy salon products and if i do you usually cant buy them in a BSS, but only in a salon. i agree with Tracy, we've been buying from Asians for years, dont stop now because of some thread.

shatani, dont worry about people diluting stuff, yadda yadda, if it bothers you that much, just go to a real salon and pay the price. hair companies already give you less for your buck.

i never get followed in a store, ive seen it happen, but Asians arent the only ones that do it. I wish more blk women/men would own BSSs since we're the primary customers