Obssessed with hair... (RANT)

Crissi

I am extremerly obssessed with hair, all i do is think about hair i think it is due to the fact that ive never had long hair. And everytime i get somewhere with it something happens to it, to the point that i am extremerly paranoid and obsessive over my hair. I feel ugly with my short hair (probably about 0.5 inches), long hair suits my face better. Hair is on my mind 24/7 and i just want to have fun with it! But im too busy obsessing and been paranoid. Ive been natural all my life, and my hair is extremerly thick, course and resistant. I want long hair, i don't know if i want it relaxed or natural, probably relaxed and somepoint, even thought natural would look good on me, its way to time consuming. I don't know wherre im going on this, i just needed to let it out, i bet i ain't even making any sense at the moment *sighs*

I wish i could have something like this...

Attachments

• DSC00985-vi.jpg
    DSC00985-vi.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00986-vi.jpg
    DSC00986-vi.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 76
Crissi I think most of us on this site can relate to you. If you continue to learn from the ladies here, as so many others have, you are well on your way to long hair. In the meantime if you think the obsession is overtaking you my advice is to find some other more immediately attainable goal and focus on that (saving money, getting better grades, whatever). Happy hair growing!

I feel ya pain girl. And I'm sure many others on the site do too. We all have our hair troubles and goals. My advice is to enjoy the hair journey and enjoy each stage of it. Don't obsess and dont be paranoid just continue to protect your hair and be healthy so you can reach your goals.

hey girl,, i think we've all felt like this at one time or another, trust me almost all ladies are crazy about their hair even if someone else thinks its perfect,, anyway, dont obsess, just relax , let your own hair grow, and try a weave or a wig while your doing that since youre someone who loves long hair, your hair will grow b4 you know it, just make sure youve got a good diet and be gentle with it and you'll see, your hair will be long b4 u know it

I feel your pain too Crissi. I realized that my hair makes me litterally nuts sometimes. It is very frustrating at times.
My semester at school helped me focus a bit less on other things. I just do my daily routine in the morning and at night, and try focusing on something else.
I agree on the fact that it can be really bad. I mean BAD
I used to walk to my class looking at every other black girl's hair and dream, or envy them.
Get rid of those bad vibes. Really. Take some time off the borad if it can help.
Find a very simple regimen that will not discourage you in the long run and if you want to check your progress (I used to check every week), check every month. but during the rest of the month, don't check.

Don't let your ambition turn into bad vibes. You can do it, we all can. Some of us are just SOOOOO impatient (me!!!)

Much love

Thank you ladies for the words of encouragement, its very comforting to know im not alone,

Crissi, x

I agree with the others here who've said that they have felt the same way, I know I certainly have. Look at it this way, you've found this board, you've got a regimen going, and you have to be patient, because your hair will grow! You will have long hair in no time! :)

Try not to be paranoid or obsessive (though I know that it's hard) and maybe taking some time away from the board is a good idea, so you can concentrate on other things. Once you have your mind focused on other things, before you know it, your hair has grown! :D

Please stay encouraged, sweetie because it'll happen! :)

yea i too have become a little overboard with the hair thing
i dont want anyone touching my hair
im like noooo it will pop off dont touch it!!!!
and i dream about it all the time
but ive been praying on not thinking about it that much
i know God can get jealous when you idolize things and i do not want it all falling out either so
i dont know if you're religious (i really dont like that term) but just pray about it
i think its perfectly fine to pray that your hair will grow longer but also pray not to be so obsessive

As you can see you're not alone! I think about my hair all the time too! I look at people with jacked up hair and pity them...especially when they try to give me hair advice...

Your hair looks good girl! It's nice and healthy and far from short! YOur doing a good job.

I'm bald headed! hahha i have about maybe 2 maybe three inchs of hair on my head (cut it all off) and i think about myhair all da time im using this as a time to get use to my own skin to feel comfortable without hair...(i had weaves down my back and i looked SOOOOOOOO exocite) but i've always want to be a "natrual" beauty so im trying stick it out and grow my hair midback or waist length/lose 30 pounds/grow my nails out long and heathly and clear up my skin ... but lord knows i wants me a full head a hair! hahha..:lachen: :lol: im trying stick it out...
plus im a college stundet so its even harder *watchs the strange looks*

I can totally relate to what you are saying! I've never had long hair either which is why I really want my hair to grow. Finding this site has been wonderful because it made me realize that I am not alone.

Yes, I'm obsessed...often it's the first thing on my mind when I awake or right before I go to sleep :ohwell:. I dream about the hair products I want to try sometimes! I've never had "long" hair either but it's growing--just not at the pace I'd like. :ohwell: I keep hearing from others who couldn't possibly understand saying things like "why are you worried about your hair, long hair is not everything", etc. and yes the negativity as well {"it's not going to grow" :mad:}. That's why I love this forum because almost everyone share the same goal(s) and you are definitely not the only one who is "obsessed."

EbonyPerez said:
i know God can get jealous when you idolize things and i do not want it all falling out either so
i dont know if you're religious (i really dont like that term) but just pray about it
i think its perfectly fine to pray that your hair will grow longer but also pray not to be so obsessive

It's funny that you wrote this. I had been feeling a little convicted about this lately, but I did not want to say anything. On the whole, I am low maintenance with the exception of me trying to get this hair past the bottom of my shoulder blades. (It has never been longer than that before). I feel like I am focusing more on hair than other things. Yes, I still go to church, school, and work, but I was started to feel off balance. Thanks for the timely word. The hymn talks about taking everything to God in prayer, so I might just have to try that;) .

I am also hair obsessed. I to was born with short hair and wonder if I am capable of growing long hair even though I know what to do now. Most of the females in my family have thin neck length hair on my mother side. and On my fathers side I think bra stap length is the longest. One of my sister has the brastrap length hair. My mom, my other sister grand mom and myself have neck length hairand we are all naturals. I have been lurking and joing hair boards for 5 years now and still no serious growth.I was born with chicken feathers for hair. As a child I never had the nice long and thick pony tail that all the other little girls had. I use to take shirts and put them on my head like a long hair weave and wear around the house. My grandmom still teases me till this day. I have it so bad to where for a long time I never wanted a daughter because I was afraid she may have my type of hair. Also I am afraid to live with a guy because at somepoint he would have to see my short hair. I hid behind extensions, wigs and weaves and am tired of it I want to wear my real hair, but I hate the way I look with the shorter hair.

kally said:
I am also hair obsessed. I to was born with short hair and wonder if I am capable of growing long hair even though I know what to do now. Most of the females in my family have thin neck length hair on my mother side. and On my fathers side I think bra stap length is the longest. One of my sister has the brastrap length hair. My mom, my other sister grand mom and myself have neck length hairand we are all naturals. I have been lurking and joing hair boards for 5 years now and still no serious growth.I was born with chicken feathers for hair. As a child I never had the nice long and thick pony tail that all the other little girls had. I use to take shirts and put them on my head like a long hair weave and wear around the house. My grandmom still teases me till this day. I have it so bad to where for a long time I never wanted a daughter because I was afraid she may have my type of hair. Also I am afraid to live with a guy because at somepoint he would have to see my short hair. I hid behind extensions, wigs and weaves and am tired of it I want to wear my real hair, but I hate the way I look with the shorter hair.

patince is the key! i love weaves but i know I want to grow! have u talked to a docter yet? =/ mite be a reason why it hasnt been growing

Thanks danni. I have low iron so maybe that plays a part in it as well. I do need to see a docter to see what is going on. I get easily discouraged.

kally said:
Thanks danni. I have low iron so maybe that plays a part in it as well. I do need to see a docter to see what is going on. I get easily discouraged.

Kally-Your situation is like mine. I always had short hair. When I first came to this site a year ago, I was intrigued my all of the ladies w/long hair on the board. I have built somewhat of a regimen for my hair and over the past year I have slowly seen progress. It's slow but it is still progress. When I told my mother about my goal (BSL) she told me that would never happen cause no one in the family has hair that long. It stung :( and I still think about it from time to time but it hasn't deterred me. If I don't get BSL, I will still have healthy hair w/ the info I hve gotten from the board. But I still have a ways to go and I won't be throwing in the towel anytime soon. Nether should you. It takes time-patience and consistency is the key.;)

Last edited:
since i been on these vitimans ive been hungry and i lack iron too! so my body is like "YAY IRON!" and im eattin like a horse (good foods) and my hair growing slowly.. i hope.. but none the less i plan on getting mid back by december of 2008 :ohwell: girl can dream? right? :lachen:

Hang in there Crissi, I hope you get your dream length. I know how you feel about the short hair too. When I bc'd in March I felt unattractive as well. My hair has grown out enough that I feel pretty good now. I've never made it all the way to even shoulder-length so I know how you feel. I'm just trying to be patient. Just try to keep babying your hair and have faith. One of the natural ladies on here said she just gave her hair over to God, that's kinda what I'm doing this time, doing everything I can and then just letting it go. Good luck sweetie, maybe a year or so from now we will all be at a better length:).

EbonyPerez said:

mango387 said:
It's funny that you wrote this. I had been feeling a little convicted about this lately, but I did not want to say anything. On the whole, I am low maintenance with the exception of me trying to get this hair past the bottom of my shoulder blades. (It has never been longer than that before). I feel like I am focusing more on hair than other things. Yes, I still go to church, school, and work, but I was started to feel off balance. Thanks for the timely word. The hymn talks about taking everything to God in prayer, so I might just have to try that;) .

Yup thats me, im in church... and then i drift and start day dreaming about hair, or looking at other peoples hair. There could be a great word a hair would just come into my head then im thre like "Lord help me to overcome this obsession", ive never obsessed about anything like this, and it annoys me! I don't even obsses about problems this much *smh*, its nice to know im not alone, i will pray on it.

yes thats absolutely fine!
as long as ur not idolizing your hair u know
b/c its soooooo easy for that to happen

mango387 said:

yea girl!!
and i will throw an extra prayer in there for you tonight!!!
cuz i tell ya... God can get jealous
which i said already but I cant say it enough

Crissi said:
Yup thats me, im in church... and then i drift and start day dreaming about hair, or looking at other peoples hair. There could be a great word a hair would just come into my head then im thre like "Lord help me to overcome this obsession", ive never obsessed about anything like this, and it annoys me! I don't even obsses about problems this much *smh*, its nice to know im not alone, i will pray on it.

EbonyPerez said:
yes thats absolutely fine!
as long as ur not idolizing your hair u know
b/c its soooooo easy for that to happen

EbonyPerez I'm so glad you mentioned that. Sometimes I think about hair and hair products so much during the day that when I go to bed I feel guilty. I ask GOD to forgive me for letting thoughts of hair consume so much of my time. Like the OP said we have to get balance. I know this is not the Christian Forum, but EbonyPerez let's pray for each other. ;)

Back