Oils Don't Moisturize? What about Sebum?

chayil0427

Hello Ladies

I've always been an advocate of the oils don't moisturize philosophy.

Yet, I was thinking that our bodies use a natural oil (Sebum) to maintain the softness/suppleness of our hair and to condition it....:rolleyes:

So ... is it possible that sebum like oils (read: oils that readily penetrate the hair and scalp like jojoba, castor, and avocado) are best for our hair?

I find that I get a tremendous amount of benefit from avocado butter and castor oil...more so than water based moisturizers. So ...is is possible that oils do have some pseudo-moisturizing qualities...or at the least qualities that mimic our bodies natural method of maintaining the integrity of the hairs balance.

Share your thoughts?

Chayil

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I did read a thread once that stated that olive, coconut and avocado oils were small enough in molecular structure to enter the hair. I can't find the thread though.

Energee

Hello Ladies

I've always been an advocate of the oils don't moisturize philosophy.

Yet, I was thinking that our bodies use a natural oil (Sebum) to maintain the softness/suppleness of our hair and to condition it....:rolleyes:

So ... is it possible that sebum like oils (read: oils that readily penetrate the hair and scalp like jojoba, castor, and avocado) are best for our hair?

I find that I get a tremendous amount of benefit from avocado butter and castor oil...more so than water based moisturizers. So ...is is possible that oils do have some pseudo-moisturizing qualities...or at the least qualities that mimic our bodies natural method of maintaining the integrity of the hairs balance.

Share your thoughts?

Chayil

Me too but I always use them in conjunction with my water based leave ins so maybe the combo works. I will never stop using either. I just started using castor oil and my hair is IMPRESSED:yep:. Me Likey!

InnerSoul

my hair needs moisture first(water based) and then I seal with oils. If I just use oil only... my hair feels a little crunchy:nono:

HoneyDew

my hair needs moisture first(water based) and then I seal with oils. If I just use oil only... my hair feels a little crunchy:nono:

same here.

I can sometimes get away with using some oils like coconut, emu or something like that if I have used a nice moisturizing leave in on my wet hair. I can use a little oil daily for a few days before my hair needs more on the 3rd or 4th day. But, oil alone? :nono:

MoMo

I have always oiled my hair with EVOO or Emu oil and it has always kept my hair moisturized.

brownsugarflyygirl

I think that sebum coats and protects our hair shaft. I think that the first round of moisture comes from the inside. Over time, we add additional moisture that needs to be sealed with oils in order to maintain that balance.

However, I believe that oils and sebum are lubricators, sealers, and protectants that do not moisurize our hair regardless of the size of the molecule. Which doesnt mean that when it penetrates the hair shaft it doesnt have positive benefits like softness or shine...but its just not a moisturizer IMO...only water and water-based products can do that.

ajoyfuljoy

People do argue about jojoba oil. I've been using it and I like it. But I've stopped using a whole lot of topical post-wash moisturizers and been more concerned about the health of my hair and hooking it up during the washing process.

Sorry if my answer doesn't make sense but to round it all up, I don't know. But I'm interested to see other ladies responses.

northernbelle

Oils nourish, but they don't moisturize.

The advantage to using natural oils, as well as those closest to that produced by the scalp, is that they are easily absorbed by the hair and scalp.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Good question!

:think: I just thought of something!

Maybe all our hair needs is water from out daily intake to moisture the hair on the inside and the sebum to protect the hair on the outside.

And those who do not get a good amount of water intake or if they live in a dry climate may have to use something extra to moisturize.

And those who do not get enough sebum produced from their scalps may need extra oils for protection.

I dunno... just thinking out loud. :)

Soliel185

I think Poohbear is right. Whenever I use oils I always mist my hair with water first. I think when we wash/wet our hair - it's temporarily moisturized, just like our skin. To keep the moisture from evaporating, we create a seal around the hair shaft with the oils, and to add MORE moisture we can use a water based leave-in. Think of how your skin feels right after a warm shower, it's super soft and smooth. If you use bath oil, or lotion while it's still slightly damp your skin will stay moisturized longer -- just like our hair. I like to use a creamy body lotion followed by oil or a baby oil gel. It keeps my skin smooth and soft till the next shower.

C

chica_canella

I think that sebum coats and protects our hair shaft. I think that the first round of moisture comes from the inside. Over time, we add additional moisture that needs to be sealed with oils in order to maintain that balance.

However, I believe that oils and sebum are lubricators, sealers, and protectants that do not moisurize our hair regardless of the size of the molecule. Which doesnt mean that when it penetrates the hair shaft it doesnt have positive benefits like softness or shine...but its just not a moisturizer IMO...only water and water-based products can do that.

exactly. The reason sebum moisturizes is because it is internal and is actually being developed along with your hair before your hair actually grows out of the scalp. It is almost like becoming one with your hair strand as it is growing.

Here is a picture for you to see it.

Now the sebum from the hair still coats the hair outside of the scalp but it does it best moisturizing before the hair comes out of the scalp.

Note: The thing with curly hair is that sebum (our scalp's natural oil production) it doesn't distribute all the way down the shaft or has a harder time because of all the twists and turns it has to go through. With straight hair is has an 1 in the hole chance of going all the way down the shaft of the hair.

Research has shown that cocunut oils do have high penetration properties but for many other oils this is not so because the molecules are too large to penetrate the shaft.

C

chica_canella

I think Poohbear is right. Whenever I use oils I always mist my hair with water first. I think when we wash/wet our hair - it's temporarily moisturized, just like our skin. To keep the moisture from evaporating, we create a seal around the hair shaft with the oils, and to add MORE moisture we can use a water based leave-in. Think of how your skin feels right after a warm shower, it's super soft and smooth. If you use bath oil, or lotion while it's still slightly damp your skin will stay moisturized longer -- just like our hair. I like to use a creamy body lotion followed by oil or a baby oil gel. It keeps my skin smooth and soft till the next shower.

Yup. I use to love getting out of a hot shower with my skin super moist and put coco butter oil over my body while damp. The moisture retained was incredible and my skin felt super soft. BTW, Where is my coco butter?:lachen:

chayil0427

Interesting thoughts ladies....I like the term nourish...I think that kinda sums up what oils do for our hair.

Chayil

balisi

Say it again! I want to say this every time I see someone refer to oils, creams and butters as moisturizers. Water moisturizes. Oil lubricates. Jojoba oil, which is most like the sebum our scalp produces, is actually a wax-like substance.

Sistaslick

ITA with Balisi, every single word of this post is on point.