OILS IN RELAXERS...

mzcris

Hi ladies

Those of you that add oils in your relaxers...what kind of oils do you use?

Thanks in advance!

froggie08

Many people say that EVOO works for them, I personally have never tried this. However, I plan to try it in my upcoming relaxor this weekend. From what I've read on other threads adding EVOO buys you time to work the relaxor in as it won't burn as fast. HTH:grin:

mzcris

Many people say that EVOO works for them, I personally have never tried this. However, I plan to try it in my upcoming relaxor this weekend. From what I've read on other threads adding EVOO buys you time to work the relaxor in as it won't burn as fast. HTH:grin:

Thanks for letting me know this...I will be trying this the next time I relax.

amwcah

I added oil to my ORS relaxer for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I used 2 capfuls of almond oil. I pretty much just used what I had on hand. I most definitely was not trying to use my JBCO though.:nono: I have other uses for that.

Monigirl

Yeap, I have used EVOO many times in my relaxers. I like it and do it often. (meaning sometimes I forget) But I add 2 tablespoon. But I believe I get the same result by just adding oil to my roots and previous relaxed hair before my relaxer application. Slows the relaxing process down and somewhat protect previous relaxed hair from overprocessing.

didirose

I add EVOO or sometimes coconut oil to texlax. I think you can pretty much use any oilf that like, its the acidity in the oil that weakens the relaxers and gives you more time to relax hair.

malibu4590

I put two tspns of EVOO and Sweet Almond Oil in my relaxer to slow it down. I've almost completely transitioned from bone straight neck length to texlaxed (25% straight) about APL, in about a year.

mzcris

Thank you ladies for all your responses!!! This has been so helpful to me; I will be adding oils to my relaxers going forward. :yep:

magviv

Today was the second time my stylist has added oil to my relaxer for me. The first time I had some wonder 8 oil for her to add to a mizani mild and I didn't like the result. Today I decide to return to my usual affirm mild relaxer and I brought grapeseed oil with me. My stylist added 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil and some humecto conditioner as well. I love the result. My hair feels very moisturized and heavy, not thin and dry like it usually does. I plan on sticking with the grapeseed oil and conditioner!

mzcris

Today was the second time my stylist has added oil to my relaxer for me. The first time I had some wonder 8 oil for her to add to a mizani mild and I didn't like the result. Today I decide to return to my usual affirm mild relaxer and I brought grapeseed oil with me. My stylist added 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil and some humecto conditioner as well. I love the result. My hair feels very moisturized and heavy, not thin and dry like it usually does. I plan on sticking with the grapeseed oil and conditioner!

Oil and Conditioner sounds yummy for the hair! This sounds good!
Thanks Magviv :yep:

Lady Esquire

EVOO, avocado oil, or sweet almond oil.

Some people add conditioners (and even leftover leave-in conditioners) to the relaxer mix as well, for the same benefits as adding in the oils.

This last time, I added a little bit of left-over cholesterol because I wanted to use the container for my relaxer (I have a huge tub of Affirm). The cholesterol was a great addition!

I also add a small amount of pure wheat protein. Others add add silk amino acids also. These extras add silkiness to the hair, and replace the protein and structure that was stripped during the relaxer process.

poookie

I add EVOO or sometimes coconut oil to texlax. I think you can pretty much use any oilf that like, its the acidity in the oil that weakens the relaxers and gives you more time to relax hair.

oils have no pH, so they don't affect the pH of the relaxer.

it's got more to do with the large oil molecules partially lubricating the hair shaft so it's more difficult for the relaxer to process. it does add processing time, which is great for beginning self-relaxers, but if you add too much oil you won't be able to get bone straight hair.

kombov_dymond

I've used EVOO and sweet almond. I have been meaning to try that Aphogee Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) Oil, but haven't gotten around to it.

2grlsandme

it's got more to do with the large oil molecules partially lubricating the hair shaft so it's more difficult for the relaxer to process. it does add processing time, which is great for beginning self-relaxers, but if you add too much oil you won't be able to get bone straight hair.

Very true Pookie.:grin: I love to add oil but like mntioned not too much or you will not be able to get your hair bone stra:grin:ight.

chicacanella

So, I can add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil an dsome humecto conditioner. What kind of humecto conditioner and how much?

chicacanella

Some people add conditioners (and even leftover leave-in conditioners) to the relaxer mix as well, for the same benefits as adding in the oils.

This last time, I added a little bit of left-over cholesterol because I wanted to use the container for my relaxer (I have a huge tub of Affirm). The cholesterol was a great addition!

I also add a small amount of pure wheat protein. Others add add silk amino acids also. These extras add silkiness to the hair, and replace the protein and structure that was stripped during the relaxer process.

Should I add just coconut oil and not the humecto conditioner since they both are moisturizing?

Then also, how much wheat or silk protein can I put in it if I already put 2 tb. of coconut oil? Where can I get silk or wheat protein from?

With the cholestrol, is LeKair Cholestrol Plus okay? Also, I wonder why it makes such a big difference when adding these things?

I figured that it was because while your hair strands were being opened to allow the restructuring or breakdown of the curl bonds and at that same time, the coconut oil (or whatever other product was put in) was entering the hair also before the cuticles closed back up (during the neutralizing process). To me, it is like being able to open up your cuticles and actually infuse the moisture in during the chemical process, I think I am correct.

Now, if you add wheat protein to the relaxer you won't need to do a protein reconstucor before using the neutralier, you can just go to the neutralizing process. Right?

bbdgirl

Yeap, I have used EVOO many times in my relaxers. I like it and do it often. (meaning sometimes I forget) But I add 2 tablespoon. But I believe I get the same result by just adding oil to my roots and previous relaxed hair before my relaxer application. Slows the relaxing process down and somewhat protect previous relaxed hair from overprocessing.

You and your Hubby are too cute!!

shelly25

So what's the point of putting oil in relaxers? I'm guessing it just makes the hair soft? Would the hair have an oily or greasy feel though, even after rinsing it all out?

mzcris

WOW...this sounds good!! I had no idea we could add so much to relaxers! and get superior results :yep:

mzcris

Thanks Poookie! This is great information!

Lady Esquire

Chica, sorry ma, did not see this before.

Should I add just coconut oil and not the humecto conditioner since they both are moisturizing? You can add both if you want, just a little of each. Or try one this relaxer, and try another for the next relaxer, and compare which one you like.

Then also, how much wheat or silk protein can I put in it if I already put 2 tb. of coconut oil? Where can I get silk or wheat protein from? I bought my wheat and silk protein from www.lotioncrafter.com. I only add a capful of the wheat and silk protein. The last time, I only added the hydrolyzed wheat, because I already had Chi Infusion on my dry hair (did not want to overdo it).

With the cholestrol, is LeKair Cholestrol Plus okay? Also, I wonder why it makes such a big difference when adding these things? Yep, LeKlair is ok. Funny thing, I only added the cholestorol because I needed the container for my relaxer mix, and there was only a little bit of it left, and it turned out to be the relaxer I have had. It made my hair feel strong, yet moisturized.

And yes, you are right Chica, the moisture from the cholesterol was infused into the strand, while the cuticle was open.

Now, if you add wheat protein to the relaxer you won't need to do a protein reconstucor before using the neutralier, you can just go to the neutralizing process. Right? Wheat protein I beleive is more of a silkener type protein, rather than the type that fortifies. And I only put in a little bit (capful). I still apply Affirm Positive Link Conditioner prior to neutralizing.

Last edited:

chicacanella

Chica, sorry ma, did not see this before.

Should I add just coconut oil and not the humecto conditioner since they both are moisturizing? You can add both if you want, just a little of each. Or try one this relaxer, and try another for the next relaxer, and compare which one you like.

Then also, how much wheat or silk protein can I put in it if I already put 2 tb. of coconut oil? Where can I get silk or wheat protein from? I bought my wheat and silk protein from www.lotioncrafter.com. I only add a capful of the wheat and silk protein. The last time, I only added the hydrolyzed wheat, because I already had Chi Infusion on my dry hair (did not want to overdo it).

With the cholestrol, is LeKair Cholestrol Plus okay? Also, I wonder why it makes such a big difference when adding these things? Yep, LeKlair is ok. Funny thing, I only added the cholestorol because I needed the container for my relaxer mix, and there was only a little bit of it left, and it turned out to be the relaxer I have had. It made my hair feel strong, yet moisturized.

And yes, you are right Chica, the moisture from the cholesterol was infused into the strand, while the cuticle was open.

Now, if you add wheat protein to the relaxer you won't need to do a protein reconstucor before using the neutralier, you can just go to the neutralizing process. Right? Wheat protein I beleive is more of a silkener type protein, rather than the type that fortifies. And I only put in a little bit (capful). I still apply Affirm Positive Link Conditioner prior to neutralizing.

Thanks alot. I will have to go back to this when I do decide to relax.

You do your own relaxers or do you just have your stylist put in all the stuff?