Question About Putting Oils in Relaxers

vtoodler

Which oil(s) do you put in your relaxer, and why did you choose that particular oil? How much of it do you put?

Also, do you think that there are any particular oils that wouldn't work well with relaxers?

The oils that I'm contemplating adding to my relaxers are rice bran, hemp seed, wheat germ, sunflower, avocado, or safflower oil.

I hope that one of these work well with Linange's lye relaxer.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I use linage texturizer, and I add about 2tbs of shea oil to about 1/3rd cup of texturizer (I eyeball measure really, so thats an approximate). I've also used castor in the past, but I think the shea works better. I picked it cause it made sense to just put more shea in the shea texturizer. I think rice bran, or hemp might work well too.

Lurkee

I use olive oil and I have never had any problems with it. It is not too heavy nor light. I use oil in my relaxer to buy myself time as I apply the relaxer instead of using it for one of its nourishing qualities.

InBloom

In my new-growth
I had begun using hempseed oil in my no-lye relaxer when I was still using that kind. I liked the hempseed oil because it wasn't too heavy or sticky. My goal for adding oil was to slow down the relaxing so I wouldn't have to rush through. I would use half the mix for the relaxer. Once I mixed the cream and the activator, I would add (eyeball) about 2 tablespoons of oil. I chose hempseed specifically for the ceramides. Then, I would essentially use all of that mixture to apply the no-lye relaxer in my hair.

Now that I use lye relaxers only (Linange), I don't mix oil into at all. Linange doesn't process too quickly so I don't need the extra time like I did with no-lye relaxer. I base my scalp so that I can smooth the new growth really well, but not rushing through. I'm never underprocessed, ever.

If I were still using no-lye relaxers, I would still mix hempseed oil into it.