ok am i completely paranoid or what??

UGQueen

i was just watching the dominican blow out video... and couldnt help but wonder, is that smokey head me when i go to the hairdressers.

see my hair dresser never has the chair turn toward the mirror its always away from the mirror. (my back will be facing the mirror) and i have noticed that it is not only her chair but all the other stylists do this too. :perplexed

so it kinda concerns me cause i never know if my hair is smokey when she blowdries or flatirons.

is this normal, has anyone else experienced this or am i just paranoid?

im always happy with the way my hair turns out but then again ive only been there twice and because i travel a lot i switch up hairdressers like crazy.

Smoke when using heat appliances in completely normal. At home, I usually us a low heat setting - as low as 230 degrees, as high as 380, but due to product in the hair like leave-ins and serums, heat protectants, etc. you may still see smoke, but not necessarily.

If you, personally, are not comfortable with the whole smoke thing, you can use a low heat setting to style your hair at home, or find a stylist you trust to use minimal heat and a good heat protectant. ETA: I seriously doubt your personal stylist uses as much heat as what was in that video.

About that video, specifically:

You will see that people on LHCF are extra-dramatic about everything. Some of the same people who say blowouts are too much heat also bake Keratin into their hair at 450 degrees. Almost every person who speaks negatively about blow-outs, etc. has never even had one. The Dom salons I go to are plently smoky on a Saturday when lots of women are getting their hair done, but the technique they are using is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Next time you go make them face the mirror. I'm paranoid too and I don't like the thought of people playing in my hair and I can't see what they are doing.

I think even if you're not facing the mirror you can still kinda see the smoke or at least smell the product when it hits the air like that.

Smoke when using heat appliances in completely normal. At home, I usually us a low heat setting - as low as 230 degrees, as high as 380, but due to product in the hair like leave-ins and serums, heat protectants, etc. you may still see smoke, but not necessarily.

If you, personally, are not comfortable with the whole smoke thing, you can use a low heat setting to style your hair at home, or find a stylist you trust to use minimal heat and a good heat protectant. ETA: I seriously doubt your personal stylist uses as much heat as what was in that video.

You will see that people on LHCF are extra-dramatic about everything. Some of the same people who say blowouts are too much heat also bake Keratin into their hair at 450 degrees. Almost every person who speaks negatively about blow-outs, etc. has never even had one. The Dom salons I go to are plently smoky on a Saturday when lots of women are getting their hair done, but the technique they are using is perfectly fine.

yeah your right, i guess its not the smoke that is so much the issue its the fact that i cant see what she is doing i guess really thats what bothers me..
but your right people tend to judge when they havent tried it themself..
thx for your response

Next time you go make them face the mirror. I'm paranoid too and I don't like the thought of people playing in my hair and I can't see what they are doing.

I think even if you're not facing the mirror you can still kinda see the smoke or at least smell the product when it hits the air like that.

next time i go ill ask her to face the mirror and if she doesnt why.. lol i wonder how thats gunna work out, she is super sweet but a lil on the intimidating side :look:

:lachen: I'm gonna have to agree. The smoke is usually coming from the product on your hair burning , that doesn't mean it's TOO hot it just means it hot (it's heat, duh :rolleyes:). If you want HEAT STRAIGHTENED HAIR the use of ADEQUATE HEAT is mandatory. Now what is adequate varies according to hair type, density etc etc. A dense haired 4b/Cnapp individual looking for a silky straight do is going to need substancially more heat than a fine haired 3a/3b individual. The right protectants and (truly) knowing what your hair can, and can NOT handle is a must.

i was just watching the dominican blow out video... and couldnt help but wonder, is that smokey head me when i go to the hairdressers.

see my hair dresser never has the chair turn toward the mirror its always away from the mirror. (my back will be facing the mirror) and i have noticed that it is not only her chair but all the other stylists do this too. :perplexed

so it kinda concerns me cause i never know if my hair is smokey when she blowdries or flatirons.

is this normal, has anyone else experienced this or am i just paranoid?

im always happy with the way my hair turns out but then again ive only been there twice and because i travel a lot i switch up hairdressers like crazy.

My memory of having a Dominican blowout as a relaxed haired girl is sitting away from the mirror and not knowing what the heck was going on. (I didn't know what I paid for. ) When I walked out with my hair swinging despite having walked in with tons of newgrowth, I was like "Hmm, I guess I didn't a relaxer after all." lol

Anywhoo, it burned like heck, I never saw what she was doing, and yes after a while my hair started breaking! I realized it was due to the blowouts, because I had only recently started visiting that salon.

All in all, may be it's normal to have a smokey head, but I don't think excess smoke is a good thing. :perplexed She prolly used a lot more heat than on others because I'm a cnapp.

I don't mind smoke. IME, it doesn't indicate that my hair is burning.

If I am turned away from the mirror, I have no qualms about turning to face the mirror when I need a glimpse of what is going on, or requesting to be turned around. I've gotten stank looks, but I always get to see if that's what I want.

I trust the women I allow to touch my hair regularly though, and only need to make those requests for the first few times if it is someone new.

Do whatever will make you feel secure.

Back