Why do hair stylists like to style hair with the customer's BACK facing the mirror?

Crystalicequeen123

Has anyone else wondered this?

I have been to plenty of different salons in the past, and many of them (if not MOST) seem to like to style my hair with my back facing the mirror! :mad: Almost like they don't want me to see what they are doing!

Sometimes they face me to the side of the mirror, but I can't really tell what's going on then. I don't get the difference between facing the front or the back of the mirror. Either way, the stylist still has room to do the hair.

I think the only time where my back wasn't facing the mirror the entire time was when I would go to Dominican salons. They seemed like they didn't mind me facing the mirror and seeing what they were doing. I liked that. :) But many black salons/stylist have me facing my back to the mirror, and THEN they turn me around to face the mirror after they have finished styling my hair. :nono:

Excuse me, but I want to know how much relaxer is going on my hair, if she's overlapping, how much she's trimming, etc...

Does anyone else have the "back-facing-the-mirror" syndrome? :lol:

qtgirl

I think that benignly, it's because they want to give their clients the VOILA EXPERIENCE, i.e. they want you to be surprised and happy when they show you the final outcome and they feel like they are working their "magic" on you and like any true magician they don't want to show the audience their "tricks". Now some are malicious and do this because they know that they are not going to do what you asked and they don't want you to see what they are doing until they're finished and then you can't do anything once they're finished.

ehj

One stylist told me that they like to do that so they can move your head easily. When you face the mirror, you tend to keep on looking at yourself but if they turn you around there's nothing for you to stare at.

Angelicus

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I think the only time where my back wasn't facing the mirror the entire time was when I would go to Dominican salons. They seemed like they didn't mind me facing the mirror and seeing what they were doing. I liked that.

I noticed that too.

so1913

I also think it's easier for them to get to their appliances and products (curling irons, chemicals, etc) if they are standing closer to their stations, which means the client would need to be faced away. If not, they'd have to walk around from behind the chair constantly to get to the items that they need to style hair and put them back.

Crystalicequeen123

You all make some good points. I understand that it may be easier for them I suppose. But this is just irks my nerves sometimes. Not all the time, but especially when I'm getting a relaxer or a trim. I want to know what's going on!

I also don't like it when I'm getting rollersets, and I feel her tugging on my hair with that rat tail comb, and it's almost like they DELIBERATELY try to hide the comb so that you can't tell how much hair they're pulling out! :mad:

I have to be more vocal. But I feel like sometimes I'm a little TOO vocal. :lol: I don't want to be labeled a worry-wort, or someone who's "obsessed" with their hair. :ohwell:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I usually insist that I'm facing the mirror when I get a trim. And if I'm not I will not let her even begin until she turns me around. I get the usual rollerset for styling so I don't need to see that. My stylist isn't put off by it at all she has known me long enough to know what I like.

Caramela

I think it's because no one likes someone scrutinizing and watching over their back (so to speak) as they work. Hairstylists can't be that much different.
And I agree that they probably want to produce the whole "VIOLA!" experience.
But I don't like my back to the mirror. I like to watch. :look:

tastesosweet

I know for a fact my stylist does it for the Voila experience, plus she doesn't want me to turn my head every which a way trying to sneak a peak. She only does natural hair styles and I've been going to her for over three years now. I haven't been disappointed yet!

Lovelylocs

Stylists like that dont want u knowing what is going on on your own head! My dominican stylists dont care. Soon I want to become a self-stylists except for cuts.

Divine Inspiration

Well I don't care if they call me obsessed or anal, but I insist that I see what's going on. If they wanna surprise somebody, they need to buy a hat and pull a rabbit out of it. I ain't for it. I wanna see what's goin on with my head.

karezone

They do that so that you can't see what they are doing and what products they are using. I ask them to turn me towards the mirror.

balisi

In my experience, it is simply easier to reach the products and tools on the station when the client is not facing the mirror. A lot of it has to do with how the chairs are made and how little space there is between stations. I also agree with the "Voila!" factor, as well as the fact that it can be unnerving having someone watch your every move as you do your job. Really though, if there's that much mistrust of your stylist, perhaps you shouldn't be in her chair.

I don't see anything wrong with nicely letting your stylist know that you'd like to see what she's doing every now and then, especially with certain services. This is probably best done during the consultation. Any reasonable, professional stylist will take appropriate measures to put your mind at ease and still do her job well.

DragonPearl

Re: Why do hair stylists like to style hair with the customer's BACK facing the mirro

It irks me to no end. I really suspect it's because they don't want you to see what they're doing, cause you might learn a thing or two and be able to do your own hair at home. Ha!!

It's another reason why I used to hate going to salons.

Re: Why do hair stylists like to style hair with the customer's BACK facing the mirro

At the stylist I go to now, I face the mirror for most of the time, unless it is just easier for me to face to the side or to the back. almost everywhere else I've been has been the opposite. I take that back, most of the places I've been are the opposite.