ON MATTED, DRY, NOT-SO-YUMMY HAIR

miss_a

LADIES:

Greetings!

Just got an emergency call from a close friend.

My girl's been in the hospital for the past few months. She hasn't had a relaxer in a few months, and her hair hasn't been combed. Simply bunned back and placed underneath a wig.

Now out of the hospital, her hair is severly matted and needs a lot love and affection.

Ladies, what products do you suggest I give her--her hair is about mid-back, 4b, super tangled, dry, and matted. We need help over here.

Thank you ladies.

~A.

msa

Conditioner, a comb, and patience.

I suggest you get a moisturizing conditioner, add some oil, and saturate the hair section by section. Make sure they are small sections.

Then work through it slowly with the comb, starting from the bottom up, and making sure to be careful about any knots. Place each section in a twist or braid afterward.

Work slowly and be patient. Don't use any water, it'll only make it worse.

clever

If its very matted I think before anything else I would apply a super moisturizing Deep Conditioner on wet hair to melt out some of the tangles and keep from loosing so much hair.Thats what I did after I got over the flu..

Hope everything gets back to normal
:hug2:

almondjoi85

I would wet the entire head and apply a very thin watery type of conditioner so it can get down all the way to the scalp without much manipulation. Then I would apply a thicker conditioner on top of that and reach for a very wide tooth comb, start at the ends and work my way up in small sections. It might take long but hey it's better than losing handfuls of hair

miss_a

have her wet it first then? as in, underneath the shower?

(we're getting nervous, over here!)

thank you ladies.

!A!

msa

have her wet it first then? as in, underneath the shower?

(we're getting nervous, over here!)

thank you ladies.

!A!

DO NOT WET HER HAIR FIRST!

I know that seems counterintuitive. But the water will tangle it up so much more.

Use a moisturizing conditioner and some oil. Get the tangles out first...THEN rinse out the conditioner and oil when you're done.

guyanesesista

I suggest you get a moisturizing conditioner, add some oil, and saturate the hair section by section. Make sure they are small sections.

Then work through it slowly with the comb, starting from the bottom up, and making sure to be careful about any knots. Place each section in a twist or braid afterward.

I second this.

SUPER SWEET

I say pre-poo with oils and a moisturizing conditioner with a shower cap for atleast an hour. Then have someone help her with the tangles in small sections because there will be a lot of shedding just from not combing. Please tell her so she wont get alarmed.
Once she rinses, she will need to deep condition again. Rinse and add a leave-in. This will be a long process so tell her to take time and patience.

bbdgirl

DO NOT WET HER HAIR FIRST!

I know that seems counterintuitive. But the water will tangle it up so much more.

Use a moisturizing conditioner and some oil. Get the tangles out first...THEN rinse out the conditioner and oil when you're done.

Yes, nothing gets out tangles like oil!

miss_a

Ladies--thank you--what kind of oil?

Olive oil?

Keeping fingers crossed. And literally--saturate all the strands with oil and conditioner? I have glycerin, castor oil, s curl, cowboy detangler, sigh--true product junkie. I know.

msa

You need a moisturizing conditioner...not too thick...you can use something cheap like vo5 or suave...and olive oil is a good oil for detangling...and it's cheap.

miss_a

muchas gracias ladies!

any recommendations on slip conditioners, e.g., giovanni direct(?), paul mitchell the detangler(?)

^ for the morning shift.

glamazon386

I agree with MSA. I would slather conditioner on (on DRY hair) with a conditioning cap and sleep on it to loosen it up some. Then I'd comb through it in the morning before washing it out.

qwnbee1

LADIES:

Greetings!

Just got an emergency call from a close friend.

My girl's been in the hospital for the past few months. She hasn't had a relaxer in a few months, and her hair hasn't been combed. Simply bunned back and placed underneath a wig.

Now out of the hospital, her hair is severly matted and needs a lot love and affection.

Ladies, what products do you suggest I give her--her hair is about mid-back, 4b, super tangled, dry, and matted. We need help over here.

Thank you ladies.

~A.
i recently went through this...i just used a half bottle of cheapie conditioner(i think suave sleek, or something), and about 4 tbs of oil(made my own mix with castor, olive, and vitamin e from dollar general)....slathered in on real think from roots to ends and covered with plastic cap for about 2 hours...rinsed out and didn't even have to detangle...lots of slip and no snarls...

*Muffin*

I suggest getting a really moisturizing conditioner (like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose) and deep condition her hair, mostly concentrating on her roots. Then when you rinse it out completely, use a conditioner that has a good amount of slip (I like Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner) and gently detangle her hair section by section starting from the ends. My hair was matted as well from using a product my hair didn't agree with, and the AO alone drastically made my hair softer and easier to detangle. I would also wait a bit before I relaxed her hair, maybe follow up with a light protein treatment (I like Aubrey Organics GPB) and wait around 5 days to relax her hair.

miss_a

christelyn: we haven't begun the "project" yet.

but i will keep y'all posted!

any more ideas, suggestions--please keep them coming.