Organic Products- Questions and Debate..

meia

Organic Products- Questions and Debate LONG!

I had a question. Does anyone know where to buy organic products? I really want to transition from using my current shampoos and conditioners to a natural product with little to no real chemicals but im having a hard time finding a site or any products....lol:lol:..also im looking for a site that has organic oils like coconut, shea, etc.,

if anyone knew any sites or any recommendations for good organic or natural type products id LOVE to hear and maybe it would benefit everyone on this board thats trying to transition or has regular natural hair because a lot of the products we use (yess that includes all or most of our favorites!! hahaha) prohibit real growth to our potential length..

in my opinion, and i have had time to think about it..with all the sulfates, harmful chemicals, and otherwise that are in our favorite products, although they do give us nice shine and bounce, how good can they really be for our hair? I know its not everyones wish to transition or go natural, but think about it...having beautiful hair at any length could be yours! I think its within all of our reach..but after having quite a few products (and ima pj lol so ive tried LOTS!!! lol) that have left my scalp itching, flaking, and burning (and that didnt ever happen to me naturally) ive started to rethink my regime and adding in products that are natural made with glycerines..

I know this sounds ABSOLUTELY crazy and i dont mean to spark too much opposition..but i guess im curious how everyone feels about this....did anybody want to transition/go natural/use natural products thats afraid of what could happen if they give up their beloved tried and true products?

i just know from lots of reasearch that health conditions can result from some products- as in another recent post, relaxers can blister, scar, receed hairlines (start off alopecia), cause dandruff..etc., certain dyes can strip the hair of all of its natural oils and can cause a condition- huffing and wheezing because the chemicals dont ever fully wash out after you use them on your head..lots of health problems but mostly NO GROWTH or SLOWER GROWTH..:eek::eek::eek:

ive noticed also that a large steryotype of black women is that we like to have different styled hair all the time. New colors, new textures, etc., to compliment our individual style and look from day 1- when were small. It seems like a lot of the reason why we got relaxers was because of decisions made by our moms to help ease doing our hair-but it seems to me like our hair grows slower than those that dont use a wealth of damaging products im thinking cos these products are hurting our scalp and the environment our hair has to grow in...

CANT WAIT TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL!
-meia

Last edited:

balisi

Hi Meia - are you asking for product recommendations for relaxed hair or all hair in general? I believe that Oyin Handmade products are all natural, but not sure if they're organic.

I don't think that relaxers affect hair GROWTH, because as long as you and your scalp are healthy, your hair will grow. Perhaps you were actually referring to the RETENTION of growth. I believe that the ways in which we style our relaxed hair is what causes most of the problems -- many of those styles require the use of heat. I personallly had no problems with growth as a relaxed head, even with the use of heat. However, I found that once I reduced the amount and type of heat, my hair retained more length. Now that my hair is natural, I use heat once every three months or so and my hair's tensile strength is amazing, so breakage is virtually non-existent.

meia

Hi balisi!
im asking for just regular product recommendations..im really really trying to grow this perm out and now that ive thought about it i really regret getting a damn perm in the first place cos it certainly hasnt done anything good for me and ive just realized it..

youre right about saying that relaxers dont affect hair growth..im thinkin that relaxers prohibit hair growth overall because of the processing. It may make the hair straight but it has to stretch the hair strands natural curl pattern to make it straight. that makes the hair unhealthy and break off overall. chemicals in general arent good for hair's health overall or the scalp.

TRUE! i definitely agree with you when you say that the way we style our relaxed hair causes most of the problems. in order to keep up with the relaxer they have to use the heat..so without the relaxers there wouldnt really be much of a need for heat you know?

yea ive noticed too when i stopped using those cheapy 20 dollar straightening irons that my hair has retained a lot more growth along with regular trims of my ends cos i do have residual splits from those flat iron days...

cocopuff

I really like Oyin Handmade products as well as Myhoneychild and AkivaNaturals. Those are all natural product lines, but I don't know if they are considered to be organic either. I frequent the Whole Foods store in my area and I like to buy organic hair products from there. I mostly use Nature's Gate products from this store and I really like them, I think that you would have luck finding organic hair products at a helath food store near you because everything that they sell in Whole Foods is claimed to be "organic".

Cichelle

I use only natural/organic products. I find that you have to do your research and investigate ingredients if you really want to go all the way with it, because some companies that claim to be "natural" are using things in their products that you still might not want to put on your scalp/hair. You have to decide what ingredients are absoulutely NO for you and what ones are okay. Then you have to be willing to do some searching. I have really limited the products I can use by just one ingredient on my NO list....parabens. They are every where. The good thing is that my PJ-ism has been brought to a screeching halt. Yes, I did worry that I wouldn't be able to replace the products that were working so well for me. And it is taking time and patience to get a good regimen going, but I think it is worth it.

I get my hair products at health food stores, Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. I am very strict about ingredients, but companies that are currently making hair products I feel okay using are:

Aubrey Organics
Kiss My Face
Giovanni
Carol's Daughter
My Honey Child

I am sure there are others, but I haven't found them yet. There are certainly plenty of natural/organic products out there, J/A/S/O/N, Avalon, Nature's Gate to name a few. Many people use these products and love them. Everyone has to decide what they want (or don't want) in a hair product and act accordingly. While, I will be glad to tell people who ask me why I choose to use or not use a product, I don't preach to anyone about their hair product decisions.

Cost is another issue. For instance, I don't by AO products from the AO site, since I know I can get them for less at the Vitamin Shoppe. :)

As far as relaxers go, there are some people who use them without any problems. When I used them, my hair didn't seem to grow past a certain point. When I stopped using them, I was able to retain length. But there are members on this forum who relax and have long hair. :) So, again, I guess it all depends...

Divine Inspiration

I totally agree with Cichelle...I had to decide which ingredients would absolute no-nos in my products. I decided on SLS, ALS, parabens, imidazolidinyl urea and diazolidinyl urea, triethanolamine, petrolatum and propylene glycol. I'm a little more lenient with synthetic colors and fragrances. I'm still working on weeding out some unnatural products, but I've already made some progress, so I'm encouraged. And like another lady mentioned, it definitely curbs that PJ enthusiasm so many of us possess. :lol:

DiamondStar

I just brought the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo and Conditioner, and I love them both.

I personally don't believe that using "all natural products" will increase overall hair growth...just my personal opinion.

For me and my relaxed head, reducing heat, stretching relaxers, deep conditioning, and frequent washing, have contibuted to my healthier hair.

meia

heyyy cocopuff!-ohhh yeaaa girl wholefoods got some nice products..its funny because its so far from where i live but im definitely willing to make the trek! i forgot all about them! ive never tried any of those products..would you really recommend them? you know what i was thinking of using? dr. bronners (not to be confused with bronner brothers) castile soap to wash with..its cheap like 3 dollars for an 8 ounce bottle and it smells so good plus it has tones of uses..

hey cichelle! youre right about that..some companies are trying to pass off still harmful products with a "natural" label on them..i want to get to a point where i have limited products and more plant/fruit based oils derived shampoos and conditioners..i was thinking of blending castile soap with some fruits and oils..im just sick of chemicals hurting my damn scalp..lol..

i think its worth it too..plus overall it saves a bit more money in my opinion (hell yea im a product junkie) only because you have more limited options..ive heard of carols daughter..ive heard RAVES from natural hair girls about them and kiss my face..i haven heard of the rest..lol so i better start diggin for info!

yea i know this post seemed to be like a preachy type thing..i didnt want it to seem that way:cry: because thats not me at all..i just figured id put it out there on an open forum to get a general consensus...BTW IM SORRY IF MY TOPIC DID SEEM PREACHY OR IN BAD TASTE ANYONE! THE LAST THING I WANT TO DO IS OFFEND ANYONE...i just wanted to gauge a response..

youre right though. im glad you brought a lot of sensibility and light to my eyes!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

heyy divine:im glad to see youre making personal progress!!! lol andddd im happy to see another fellow pj-er thats resisting the urge to buy everything they see..hahaha i still have too many damn products..i should sell it on ebay hahaha..

hiiii Diamond: No i agree with you..i dont think it increases hair growth..i think what i meant to say (but i mixed the words up) was that it makes a more healthier place for hair to grow..altho as ive learned from chichelle..it depends on who you are..but generally thats just my thoughts..i figured in my head and ive also read that if you have a healthier scalp your hair will be healthier because scalp health is key in retaining length for any long period of time and getting length in the first place..

THANKS EVERYONE FOR RESPONDING!! lol i honestly didnt think anyone would!

Cichelle

ohhh...I never meant that you were being "preachy" at all. I was only saying that I don't do that....wasn't saying you did. K? I think this is a good topic.

meia

ohhh nooo girl lol i wasnt accusing you of saying that lol i just didnt want anyone to think that i was trying to impose my thoughts or anything on anyone lol...i like your advice you answered me in a nice informative way lol..it helps me realize that i need to open my mind when it comes to making posts..lol

but thank you again for responding and being so considerate of my thoughts!
meia;)

esoterica

Here are some brands you can Google.
* Agoo Agii
* Alexandra Avery
* Amúrie Toxic-Free Products
* Aubrey Organics Skin, Body & Hair Care Products
* Barefoot Botanicals
* Blue Moon Herbals & Aromatics
* Botanical Skin Works
* Burt’s Bees
* Crystalux Personal Care Products
* Doc Hills Natural Skin Care
* Dr. Hauschka
* Earths Beauty Cosmetics
* Eco-Beauty Organics
* InerQi (inner chi) Toxic Free Body Care
* Integral Sense
* Kettle Care Herbal Body Products
* Larénim
* Living Nature Products
* Logona Cosmetics
* Martina Gebhardt Naturkosmetiks
* Max Green Alchemy
* MyChelle Dermaceuticals
* Natural Solutions–Holistic Beauty & Health
* Naturopathica
* One Group
* Organic Essentials Skincare (and Nutritional Product)
* Organic Excellence Hair Care Products
* Rainforest Organics Natural Soap Co.
* Real Purity Cosmetics
* Restored Balance Herbal Products
* Saje Natural Wellness
* Santé Kosmetics
* Suki's Naturals
* Sumbody
* Super Salve Company
* Susan's Soaps & More Natural Skin Care Products
* Terressentials
* Tom's of Maine
* WELEDA
* Wood Sprite Natural Body

ETA:
Morocco Organic: http://www.rawfood.com/morrocco.html

Last edited:

meia

damnnnnnnnnnn!!! hahahaha! :eek::eek::eek::eek: that is one long list! thank you so much!!! ive only tried one product on there, Organic Excellence Hair Care Products, i think its the same brand. i dont have braids or anything, but i use the cornrows and braids scalp itch relief..its a purple liquid. I mix it with mtg and that stops my scalp from reallllllllllyy itching from the mtg and the rag i wear on my head..lol

THANKS AGAIN
ASPHYXXIA!!!;):)
-MEIA

greenidlady1

Congratulations on using organic products. I agree with everyone's suggestions- GREAT LIST asphixxxia!
Consider making your hair products too- You never have to wonder about the ingredients or anything harmful.
I saw someone's note about Castille soap- there are some recipes on the hair recipe board that have castille soap, oils and and herbal infusions that are wonderful. It's great to make your own hair oil too! I got started with just olive, castor and jojoba oils and herbs like lavender, rosemary and ginger and now it's the only oil I use!!
Good luck!

B

ballet_bun

asphyxxia said:
* Agoo Agii
* Alexandra Avery
* Amúrie Toxic-Free Products
* Barefoot Botanicals
* Botanical Skin Works
* Burt’s Bees
* Dr. Hauschka
* Eco-Beauty Organics
* Integral Sense
* Larénim
* Living Nature Products
* Logona Cosmetics
* Max Green Alchemy
* Natural Solutions–Holistic Beauty & Health
* Naturopathica
* One Group
* Real Purity Cosmetics
* Saje Natural Wellness
* Santé Kosmetics
* Suki's Naturals
* Sumbody
* Super Salve Company
* Terressentials
* Tom's of Maine
* WELEDA

ETA:

Thanks for posting this list.

FYI: MyChelle Dermaceuticals has wonderful skincare products, and I use them. I don't think she has haircare products in her line yet. Her face creams are the best. You can order trial sizes of some of the products or gift sets that have trial sizes targeted towards your skin type. MyChelle is competition for AO!

carameldiva

www.thechemistrystore.com (multi-purpose liquid castille soap, vitamin fortified hair conditioner and more)
www.camdengrey.com (shampoo concentrate, conditioner concentrate)
www.gothrosary.com
www.essentialwholesale.com (do a search on shampoo and conditoner)
www.soapcrafters.com

hope this helps

meia

thank you all for these listings!! i tried one of the responders on heres suggestion for oyin products (www.oyinhandmade.com) they have THE BEST PRODUCTS!! and they are wayyyy cheaper than carols daughter for the quantity they give. i ordered a 15.00 starter set that has honey hemp conditioner, greg's juice (a leave in), shine and define pudding, and whipped pudding- it was pretty cheap for the amount and i didnt want to order full size for products i havent tried.

these products have helped me SO MUCH with the transitioning im going through! my hair was dry hard to managed and has gotten crunchy and no amount of moisture i could bring to it could make it soft...or even could run a comb through my hair...now its perfect- my hair has the right amount of moisture and it seems to be so much easier to deal with! ive also found out that using a pick is the only way i can get through my hair without ripping strands out! I also use dr. bronners castile soap to wash my hair every other day with... its so nice and invigorating and i dont have dry parched strands after..my hair is so moist now! I DEF. recommend DR. BRONNERS...im so through with regular hair products!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL SUGGESTIONS!!!;) ;)

ximenia

jadedcynicism said:
* Agoo Agii
* Alexandra Avery
* Am?Toxic-Free Products
* Barefoot Botanicals
* Botanical Skin Works
* Burt?s Bees
* Dr. Hauschka
* Eco-Beauty Organics
* Integral Sense
* Lar鮩m
* Living Nature Products
* Logona Cosmetics
* Max Green Alchemy
* Natural Solutions?Holistic Beauty & Health
* Naturopathica
* One Group
* Real Purity Cosmetics
* Saje Natural Wellness
* Santé*‹osmetics
* Suki's Naturals
* Sumbody
* Super Salve Company
* Terressentials
* Tom's of Maine
* WELEDA

ETA:

Not so fast. Quite a few of those lines use formaldehyde donor preservatives. Avalon Organics is a "clean" line which I don't see on that list.

Last edited: