Which one relaxes better?

• ORS no-lye

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • ORS lye

Votes: 32 58.2%

• Total voters

divinefavor

Serenity_Peace said:
Hmmm... that's strange that you can't find it in that area. Did you try Stone Mountain (Memorial Drive), Decatur (South Dekalb) or Candler Road?

I hardly ever go to the Dekalb area, I'm usually too lazy to do drive.. :lol: My friend is going to put the no lye in my hair on Friday. She said that she doesn't recommend that I use the lye formula. But, if I really want to do it she would put the lye in for me as well

joyous

I'm glad I saw this thread. I finally bought the ORS lye(after much searching). I also bought the neutralizer and replenshing conditioner. I think I'll buy the duo-tex reconstructor for extra measure. I was kind of reluctant because I've been natural for 4.5 years and my hair is fine. I feel much better since I've heard so many good reviews. Thanks ladies.

RubyWoo

divinefavor said:
I hardly ever go to the Dekalb area, I'm usually too lazy to do drive.. :lol: My friend is going to put the no lye in my hair on Friday. She said that she doesn't recommend that I use the lye formula. But, if I really want to do it she would put the lye in for me as well

Hey Divine,

Did your friend say why they didn't recommend that you use the Lye formula? I was considering using it but I'm scurred...:lol:. I've only ever used no-lye relaxers.

MzRhonda

I think the word "lye" frightens many people. Both in my opinion are chemicals with some form of lye in them. I've used both and found no-lye to be drying. I prefer lye and have been using it now for many years.

Determined22

MzRhonda said:
I think the word "lye" frightens many people. Both in my opinion are chemicals with some form of lye in them. I've used both and found no-lye to be drying. I prefer lye and have been using it now for many years.

I just wanted to point out that there is only one type of "lye", and that's sodium hydroxide. "No-lye" are lithium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, etc.

They all are bases (pH greater than 7) but there is only one "lye".

Frostipuff

ORS no lye in regular strength left my 4b hair very under processed. I
followed the directions to a T leaving the relaxer on the maximum
reccommended time.

I will go back to Affirm lye next time.

shesheshe

After using the no lye for 6 months I switched to lye in hope of better results. The relaxer had me crying, it stung me so bad! But it might have been my own fualt because I took my hair out of extensions only 4 days prior to self relaxing!
Based on scalp damage i'd have to say the no-lye was gentler. based on straightening the lye was better. I guess if you can do your own hair properly or get it done professionally the the lye version gives better results.

RubyWoo

MzRhonda said:

I made the decision to try ORS Lye next relaxer after doing some research on the board. I learned that lye is better for the hair but can be harsher for the scalp whereas no-lye is harsher on the hair but less harsher on the scalp. I don't burn when I relax and my scalp isn't sensitive so I think I'll be fine with the lye.

When you made the switch from no-lye to lye, did you go over your no-lye previously relaxed hair with the lye? If not, did you noticed a difference between the textures (lye hair and no lye hair)?

RubyWoo

shesheshe said:
After using the no lye for 6 months I switched to lye in hope of better results. The relaxer had me crying, it stung me so bad! But it might have been my own fualt because I took my hair out of extensions only 4 days prior to self relaxing!
Based on scalp damage i'd have to say the no-lye was gentler. based on straightening the lye was better. I guess if you can do your own hair properly or get it done professionally the the lye version gives better results.

Did you base your scalp with an oil?

wheezy807

Saida said:
Where do you buy the Lye ors, looked again yesterday I didnt find it. anyone please? :)

Should be at your local bss, in a tub with imprint "NO BASE" relaxer.
Make sure it's in a tub, not in the kit (box).
Tub=typically lye"no base"
kit=typically no lye
HTH:)

SleekandBouncy

shawniegee said:
I voted for lye. My hair stopped holding moisture after a while with the no-lye. It' s made a major difference. But my scalp doesn't like it though. So I don't know what to do. Maybe a long strectch, will help.

That's what bugs me about no lye vs. lye. It's like I have to choose either my hair or my scalp. If I go with the lye then I put my scalp in danger. I figure hair grows up from the scap so I've choosen to protect my scalp for now, but I desperately want to try the ORS lye.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
divinefavor said:

Oh, that's makes me scared. Why doesn't she want to do the lye?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
MzRhonda said:

I face this dilemma as well. I will be relaxing in another month or so, and want to try lye because No Lye, I believe, is the culprit that's making my hair so try and dull looking. But the dilemma is that that no-lye doesn't burn my scalp and gives me so much body. Plus, I have really fine, delicate strands. I can't decide and it bothers me.

SmartyPants

That's what bugs me about no lye vs. lye. It's like I have to choose either my hair or my scalp. If I go with the lye then I put my scalp in danger. I figure hair grows up from the scap so I've choosen to protect my scalp for now, but I desperately want to try the ORS lye.

This is why I switched from lye to no-lye. When my hair breaks, it breaks from the scalp and my hair ends up really jacked. It's easier for me to keep my hair moisturized than it is for me to deal with the scalp problems. I find the ORS Replenishing pack to be absolute HEAVEN for my hair. So, for me, this was a good choice.

simone103

I've used both relaxers and IMO ORS lye is the better out of the two. The no-lye is good as well but it tends to process my hair faster than the lye and also dried my hair out over time. The one with lye leaves my hair with more body and moisture.

cocomochaa

Lye is the way forward! no -lye was good but with most no lye relaxers left me on the dry side..With lye on the other hand :grin: my hair is bouncy shiny and jus :lick: i've tried vitale life and body elasta qp and IMO Ors is the best 1 for me!

Jazzy413

I recently relaxed(texlax) after almost 8 month stretch and the ORS lye worked wonders!! I was scared about over processing so I out a few teaspoons of olive oil to slow down the processing. I still had some wave left to the majority of my hair and I see a huge difference in the thickness and luster of my hair....This is definitely a keeper for me moving forward.

Tee

I saw this thread started by MizJackson and thought HUH!!!! I see this was posted before your big chop. I was about to call you!

Ladies, thanks for the input. I only use lye relaxer and ORS has been on my 'maybe try' list. I think I will give it a try on my next relaxer.