overconditioned hair (help please.)

peony

Hi All,

My hair is overconditioned. I wound up leaving the DC on way too long (for me) because I was waiting for a package delivery and I was afraid I wouldn't hear the doorbell ring. That stuff was in my hair for hours and my hair can't take that. Anyway, my hair was mushy and overly-soft after I rinsed, but I figured it would be okay. Well, now I'm having breakage and I want to stop it before it does serious damage. This is my thought:

leave my hair flat-twisted until Tuesday (when I have time to concentrate on my hair.)

Shampoo with a clarifying shampoo.
follow with a moisturizing shampoo.
Aphogee 2 minute treatment.
Follow with a moisturizing conditioner for 30minutes.

Does anyone have suggestions for a better way to handle this problem?

Mixing a bit of Aphogee Two-Step (just the 1st step) into your regular DC can be helpful. A table spoon for every two ounces is a good start, I've found. I reviewed Aphogee Two Step in detail, here, if you are unfamiliar with it. HTH!

I wouldn't do a clarifying and moisturizing shampoo. Why do you need both? If you clarify then your hair is clean, no need to shampoo it again afterward. Unless you really have build up, skip the clarifying and just use the regular shampoo. If your hair is already suffering from breakage, drying it out from shampooing twice is not going to help.

And yes, protein will help you to correct the issue. Use a protein treatment you've already used before. Now is not the time to experiment with something new.

MSA, that makes sense about not shampooing twice and making sure I use a familiar product. I'm thinking I should at least clarify though so that the protein can penetrate and then I can restore the moisture with my DC.

Aphogee 2 minute because I've used it before (although a loooong time ago) and I know I can't take strong protein. And I already have it.

Go to Sally's and get some Neutral Protein Filler. It comes in a small bottle and its cheap. Its also versatile. You can add some to a liquid leave in and distribute through your hair. Or you can add some directly to your conditioner the next time you condition. You can even apply it directly and let it sit for 20 mins before you shampoo. Whatever method you choose this stuff will add back the protein you need.

I do this all the time when I need to rebalance my hair.

ETA: why are you going to use a moisturizing shampoo AND moisture DC for 30 minutes if you're ALREADY over moisturized? :nono:

I'm not going to use two shampoos anymore, that plan changed. But I cannot take a lot of protein, so my concern is just getting back to my regular balance not tipping the other way.

Back