Overnight DC is the BEST Deep Conditioning of ALL TIME!

westNDNbeauty

Of course we all know this is Natural hair straightening season in the western side of the world.

I've since trialed only using my Huetiful steamer during my DCing (plus letting the conditioner sit for an addition 3 hours) to infuse moisture.....results were not so great when I straightened. I really thought the steamer would speed up my hair's ability to absorb the moisture so I could get away with not overnight DCing. Guess not.

A few weeks later I followed with my regular overnight DCing and then straightened again. The results were my usual BONE STRAIGHT, ONE PASS SHINY LOCKS!

Enough experimenting for me. I'm sticking with overnight deep conditioning when it comes to straightening.

But looking deeper into this experiment, I am getting the feeling that the steamer is not doing what it claims...atleast for my hair it isn't :ohwell:

Last edited:
^^ ITA.
My steamer was great when I first bought it, but I haven't used it in so long. I find that I get the same results or better by just sleeping in my DC as well. I think it might be because my hair is porous so it doesn't really need any additional heat/steam to lift the cuticle, but I don't really know. I'm getting rid of it to make space in my apartment. It got me thinking that maybe I didn't need it all along and maybe I just thought the results were soooo wonderful because my hair wasn't in tip top shape moisture-wise at the time I bought it, so it was just a coincidence.

I also agree. I love overnight deep conditioning!!! I plan to use the steamer occasionally, however nothing beats this!!!

For some reason I don't DC overnight well, I usually get a head cold. Its a shame really, do you think additionally wrapping my head in a towel as opposed to a using a head scarf will help?

For some reason I don't DC overnight well, I usually get a head cold. Its a shame really, do you think additionally wrapping my head in a towel as opposed to a using a head scarf will help?

I don't know if this is just directed at OP, but I use a conditioning cap and a turbie over top of mine.

@ WestNDBeauty, what to use to DC?

Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment found at Sally's

I put on my plastic cap and cover it with a turbie twist. I also sometimes add an additional bath towel incase there are drippies.

Good to know I'm not going crazy. Thought my steamer was supposed to be the best thing ever. But I see others are experiencing my same results.

Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment found at Sally's

I put on my plastic cap and cover it with a turbie twist. I also sometimes add an additional bath towel incase there are drippies.
Doesn't this have protein? But is it the moisturizing protein? I'm still learning my proteins.

Ummm, me too.
I sleep in my conditioner as well, and it gives me far superior results than my steamer. Now it sits in a corner, unused and unloved. :lol:

I have a steamer on the way, I hope it works for me.:pray:

While love the result of overnight dc-ing, I find having to sleep with a creamy head of conditioner under a plastic bag and wrapped in a turban, ANNOYING. Especially in this cold weather.

I hope I will get the same affect with my steamer, so I wont have to hear the rustling of plastic bags all night long. :lol:

before i straightened my hair, i remembered that you dc overnight for straighter results. i had for got so i just got under the dryer for more than 5 hours. the results were okay but i really wanna try the overnight thing. ♥

While love the result of overnight dc-ing, I find having to sleep with a creamy head of conditioner under a plastic bag and wrapped in a turban, ANNOYING.

It's like the exact opposite for me! Lol.
The warmth under the plastic cap makes me soooooo sleepy. I get that good good sleep when I DC! :lol:

There is no comparison between approx. 30 mins under a steamer vs 6+ hours of overnight dc, no product works miracles.:nono:

I like it. Once a week I put vatika oil cover it down with a plastic cap and tie it down. It makes the hair soft. As long as i don't wake up face down in pillow full of oil......im good.

tried this a few times but i always seem to get super itchy scalp and then scalp problems down the line so now just stick to my steamer :cloud9:

Of course we all know this is Natural hair straightening season in the western side of the world.

I've since trialed only using my Huetiful steamer during my DCing (plus letting the conditioner sit for an addition 3 hours) to infuse moisture.....results were not so great when I straightened. I really thought the steamer would speed up my hair's ability to absorb the moisture so I could get away with not overnight DCing. Guess not.

A few weeks later I followed with my regular overnight DCing and then straightened again. The results were my usual BONE STRAIGHT, ONE PASS SHINY LOCKS!

Enough experimenting for me. I'm sticking with overnight deep conditioning when it comes to straightening.

But looking deeper into this experiment, I am getting the feeling that the steamer is not doing what it claims...atleast for my hair it isn't :ohwell:

@ the bolded.... This is the beauty of being on a hair journey and learning what works for your hair :yep:

Everything is not for everyone and I hope Newbies pay attention to that. If it aint broke dont fix it.

Personally my fine hair cant handle overnight DC'n without becoming mushy. And my hair adores steam of all kinds, I had to learn this over time though. But it takes time to learn your hair type.

Kudos to you honey! I look forward to more post from you :grin: I alway on the lookout for mor twist styles and what not.

I really wanna try this but im scared the DC is gunna run onto my face and break me out. Anyone ever have this problem??

I've never had this problem and I pre poo and DC overnight every week. I put a plastic bag on, a head band over that and then top it all off with my silk scarf. Works like a charm!

I've tried steaming at salons and it made my hair poof faster. Maybe it was the coditioner and straightening application.

Nothing has beat my gold plastic heat cap,plastic cap and dollar store turbie overnight. I can actually wear a straight phony pony after that.

For those of yall that itch do you use an oil with your DC? Cause I started using one and my itches stopped.

I've been overnight DCing for a long time now. Nothing but good results. Never bothered with the steamer because of the extra expense. overnight conditioning seems to do the same thing for free. But different things work for different people.

Back