Overnight DC is the BEST Deep Conditioning of ALL TIME!

What a coincidence, I'm about to "sleep condition" with SE Megasilk right now. I'm getting a Dominican blowout tomorrow and since I haven't been DCing with heat for the past 3 days like I planned (another thing I got from WIB, whaddayaknow), I figured -- well, really just hoped and prayed -- that overnighting it would be enough moisture.

What a coincidence, I'm about to "sleep condition" with SE Megasilk right now. I'm getting a Dominican blowout tomorrow and since I haven't been DCing with heat for the past 3 days like I planned (another thing I got from WIB, whaddayaknow), I figured -- well, really just hoped and prayed -- that overnighting it would be enough moisture.

Let us know how it turns out!

Question for the ladies who sleep condition overnight: do you guys ever wake up with mushy hair? I always feel like sometimes the condition is a bit too much because my hair feels all wirey and stringy.

I think DCing overnight is just like doing a steam treatment - with the heat coming from your head creating condensation in the cap. I don't DC over night, but I do pre-poo overnight with oil and my hair always feels wet in the morning after being under a plastic cap and scarf the entire night.

I don't own a steamer, and I usually DC under my soft bonnet with heat for 1 hour. In preparation for my first full flat iron last week, I DC'd overnight using Lustrasilk Mango Shea buttter, WGO, castor oil, aloe vera gel, and a little SheaMoisture DC Mask thrown in for good measure lol.

Now mind you, I have NEVER been able to get my hair really straight using a flat iron, even when I was relaxed. NEVER. The overnight DC took me from my December siggy pic, to this with 1 flat iron pass:
IMG_20101224_221839-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Even though this was ultimately WAY too straight for my liking (I'm a big hair kinda girl lol), I know I never would have been able to flatten my 4b kinks this much without the overnight DC.

Last edited:
I'm glad you started this thread. I probably need to go back to doing this

I was wondering if your hair is supposed to be wet/ dripping when you take your cap off?? I remember reading that it means your dc isn't being absorbed?

I'm glad you started this thread. I probably need to go back to doing this

I was wondering if your hair is supposed to be wet/ dripping when you take your cap off?? I remember reading that it means your dc isn't being absorbed?

When I do mine, I make sure my hair is not dripping from the start because that means I'll have drippies on my pillows and sheets. I also use pretty thick conditioner. My hair pretty much looks how it does when I initially put it on, still coating each strand.

I agree. I prefer to deep condition overnight rather than use any other method, including the beloved steam treatments.

@westNDNbeauty could you tell me about this DC'ing 3 days in a row? Or paste a link to where you discuss it, please?
Austro-Afrikana
I didn't go through this posts to find what I may have briefly said about 3 day DCing, but I can tell you that's what I did a couple years ago when I figured out that the moisture content of your hair is what determines how well your hair will flat iron. I continued experimenting and found that all I needed to do was an overnight DC and my hair was able to straighten just as if I did an overnight DC.

Here is the thread where I talk about that experience: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

I used to condition my hair overnight and my hair loved it...;)

I guess I start back this weekend :)

Thanks for bumping this thread ;)

How often are you ladies doing this? I baggied overnight 3 nights in a row and it seems like my hair had more of those curly o's (breakage) when I took a shower. Backed off for a couple of days. Maybe I'll just DC overnight once a week.

Back