Overnight Oiling

LovelyLionessa

I know many ladies here often pre-poo or deep condition their hair overnight. I have found my hair hates to be over conditioned, and when I last attempted an overnight conditioning session I was left with limp, mushy hair, not good. :nono:

Lately I have been reading about oiling the hair overnight, as a pre-poo treatment. On Sephora's site, Ojon details such a treatment when using their Restorative Treatment. Also Indian hair tips and oils recommend leaving oil on overnight prior to washing. :sleeping:

So, my question to you ladies is how many of you have done this? I think my hair didn't like the wetness of conditioner all night, but oil it might like. Please share your experiences. TIA! :D

dlewis

I do this a couple of times a month. Works for me. I nomally use Amla Oil, Coconut oil or my personal oil mixtures. My hair is strong and does not easily break. But sometimes my hair is to soft and unmanageable.

LovelyLionessa

sareca said:
My hair loved overnight pre-poos with ojon, but my wallet did not. :(

I'm sure that stuff is good, but there no way I'm paying that much, when I have a humongous tub of coconut oil from Wal-Mart for $2 and change. :D

LovelyLionessa

dlewis said:
I do this a couple of times a month. Works for me. I nomally use Amla Oil, Coconut oil or my personal oil mixtures. My hair is strong and does not easily break. But sometimes my hair is to soft and unmanageable.

I picked some Amla oil today and I think that's what I'll do, make up an oil mix with coconut oil and anything else I can think of call it a night. Thanks for the tip. :cool:

KiniKakes

I sleep w/my hair saturated with oil every night. I use MTG on the scalp, and then moisturize the ends w/ORS Olive Oil, and seal with some other kind of grease or oil, whatever is on hand (KeraCare essential oil, Tea Trea Aloe Therapy, WGO, etc.) Then i put a shower cap on, then satin bonnet. So my hair is oily and being totally moisturized under there. I do this Mon-Thurs, then wash on Friday. My hair is sooo soft and silky when i get it washed! My hair loves this overnight oiling regimen!

carameldiva

I sleep with either oil or shea butter saturated on my head every night too and then spritz with a leave-in and put a thin plastic cap on, a satin scarf on top and go to sleep but i do conditioner washes daily.

Hair Iam

I was always using conditioner over night, until I did the baggi method one night and woke up to breakage at my ends:perplexed . I have comet to realize my hair thrives with oils. Applying oils over night just reinforces the positives. During the day conditioner evaporates, so it serves its purpose in keeping hair hydrated. Over night under my bagged head, conditioner makes my hair mushy:ohwell: , leading to breakage:( . This may just be me. I’ll keep my conditioner (plus essential oils to seal in conditioner) during the day and my essential (which can also include shae butter) oils for over night:) .

sareca

Priestess said:
I'm sure that stuff is good, but there no way I'm paying that much, when I have a humongous tub of coconut oil from Wal-Mart for $2 and change. :D

I've used coconut oil too. It's not even close to the same. At least not for me. For me, alma worked about as good as ojon. But, I will probably order it again one day. I just have too many other products to use up right now.

Last edited:

ohsosuzy

sareca said:
My hair loved overnight pre-poos with ojon, but my wallet did not. :(

I love love love the ojon treatment too, but it is pricey. It is pretty strong so it usually last long enough for me not to be too disgusted. I thought about giving it up but when I did my hair got all tangly and dry. Definitely not cute by any means.

When I use it I usually sleep with the treatment over night (i put it on my dry hair) then washed and conditioned normally the next day with their shampoo and conditioner. It worked beautifully for me.

Tee

sareca said:
I've used coconut oil too. It's not even close to the same. At least not for me. For me, alma worked about as good as ojon. But, I will probably order it again one day. I just have too many other products to use up right now.

The Ojan is really good. I haven't used my Alma yet but I will try it out as a over night treatment.

LovelyLionessa

Hair Iam said:
I was always using conditioner over night, until I did the baggi method one night and woke up to breakage at my ends:perplexed . I have comet to realize my hair thrives with oils. Applying oils over night just reinforces the positives. During the day conditioner evaporates, so it serves its purpose in keeping hair hydrated. Over night under my bagged head, conditioner makes my hair mushy:ohwell: , leading to breakage:( . This may just be me. I’ll keep my conditioner (plus essential oils to seal in conditioner) during the day and my essential (which can also include shae butter) oils for over night:) .

This sounds like my hair, too much condish means mushy hair for me too. Hopefully my hair will enjoy oils as much as yours does since my hair already thrives on using oils as a leave-in. :)

LovelyLionessa

sareca said:

Yikes, don't let me hear the Ojon is good with it being so pricey! :lol: Although I think they do make it in a smaller size for $21, but no, I'll be good and use my Amla oil first before I even think about Ojon. :look:

Candy_C

priestess using amla is a good option, it'll really keep your ends strong.

overnight oiling at least once a week i would say is real nessessary!

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Hair Iam said:
I’ll keep my conditioner (plus essential oils to seal in conditioner) during the day and my essential (which can also include shae butter) oils for over night:) .

I'm gonna have to try this :scratchch

LovelyLionessa

Candy_C said:
priestess using amla is a good option, it'll really keep your ends strong.

overnight oiling at least once a week i would say is real nessessary!

Awesome! I am excited about using the Amla. I put some on my hand just to test it out, (and to smell it :lol: ) and it seemed to give my skin a velvety texture. I can't wait to use it on my hair! :weird:

Ebonygurl00

My hair HATES overnight oiling!! I've tried so many different oils for this, and it just doesn't work for me.

OT: I just noticed that this is my 1,000th post! WOOT!

Last edited:
I do this fairly often b4 washing using jojoba oil, sometimes i feel so guilty about my weekly flat iron abuse that I just bathe my hair in jojoba ( last time i used a heat cap for 20 mins or so) and leave it in ,, last time i did this i had it in my hair for a week, no joke LOL , i had a cold and didnt want to wash my hair so i just left it alone totally and then washed it and have very soft not oversoft hair.... some ppls hair doesnt like oil tho so if ur hair doesnt like it, maybe deep conditioning would work better 4 u? also jojoba oil is the oil most likely to agree with eveyones hair,, its most like sebum and actually has molecules small enough to penetrate the hair

KhandiB

So its simple?? Just Oil Your Hair then put on a Shower Cap overnight and wash??

I also have this oil called New Oasis.. it has Wheat Germ,Sunflower, Fruit Oils...

B_Phlyy said:
I think it would. When I first started using Kemi Oyl, that's how I used it and it was okay.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
KhandiB said:
So its simple?? Just Oil Your Hair then put on a Shower Cap overnight and wash??

I also have this oil called New Oasis.. it has Wheat Germ,Sunflower, Fruit Oils...

Yep, that's how I did it. I put the oil on my hair starting at the ends (because they were the driest) and working my way up. I put on a plastic cap and then a scarf to cut down on the noise. In the morning, I'd just rinse.

nomoweavesfome

My hair loves this to pieces!!! Especially with the stinky Amla Oil. It feel so great on the hair and by the time the shampoo gets it it feels so well conditioned.

Although my hair loves it my skin does not. too much overnight oiling makes my face break out- I don't just sleep on my back.

tuffCOOKiE

wait, so let me get this straight. So you wash it out the next day? Or is this a treatment for everynight? I saw someone say they do this everynight.

nomoweavesfome

tuffCOOKiE said:
wait, so let me get this straight. So you wash it out the next day? Or is this a treatment for everynight? I saw someone say they do this everynight.

i only do mine before a regular poo not a cowash. Can't do every night. Although I would love to.

AtlantaJJ

Priestess said:
. :sleeping:

So I think my hair didn't like the wetness of conditioner all night, but oil it might like. Please share your experiences. TIA! :D

I can't stand sleeping with a wet head so I'm intrested as well...

Candy_C

i oil my hair, let it soak in and THEN comb my hair out (as its airdried, i dont comb for 7-12 days)....

i leave it in overnight and shampoo out the next day (or 2 days)...this makes my hair so soft..after all shampoo is a mild detergent! i also get less buildup as the oil acts as a barrier against the harsh ingreds, but still comes away from the hair with just one sudgsing