Oversensitivity

missyT

Hey,
I have a challenge that I need help overcoming. I think I am way too sensitive and I don't know what to do about it? Where most people can just shrug things off and continue with their business, I tend to hold onto things and dwell on them for a fair bit of time. For example, small things like the way somedy responds when I am being friendly, really sticks with me. I think I am getting better but I need to get even better.

Do you think this reflects my confidence?

As a result of my sensitivity, I often try to avoid arguments with people because I don't want to be hurt or make somebody else feel bad. Is there something wrong?

Anyway, does anybody consider themselves as sensitive and how do you deal with it?

I posted this in the Christian fellowship forum because I feel more comfortable doing so.

webby

Think Slim
Well, there is certainly nothing wrong with being sensitive. Sensitive people can be more compassionate than less sensitive people.

If you hold on to grudges, they can be hurtful only to you. The person who "moves on" has no stress, no worries and probably is not even aware that they may have insulted someone or that someone intended to insult them. But when people hold grudges or don't let go, they carry that burden around. It could have started off like a small splinter, but over time turned into a huge, gaping hole.

With regards to avoiding conflict, well when people avoid conflict, they often withdraw and detach themselves from the issue. They are not willing to assert their own wants nor do they want to help others get what they want. For example, they tend to "mind their own business" and look the other way when other people are discussing heated issues.

It's important to protect yourself from predators, but you have to discern when it is and necessary to withdraw. Does that make sense?

Honeyhips

Lovely
I agree with everything Webby said. There is nothing wrong with being sensitivite.

I.

Last edited: