People dealing with depression ...

Renovating

Does it make you feel better when someone tries to encourage you by saying," Things could be worse or think about the blessings you have or there are people in worse situations than you." I know people say these things to try to encourage you and remind you to be grateful for GOD's blessings, but depression is not synonymous with being ungrateful. For me, I feel 10 times worse when someone says this. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:

Highly Favored8

Does it make you feel better when someone tries to encourage you by saying," Things could be worse or think about the blessings you have or there are people in worse situations than you." I know people say these things to try to encourage you and remind you to be grateful for GOD's blessings, but depression is not synonymous with being ungrateful. For me, I feel 10 times worse when someone says this. Does anyone else feel this way?

Hi :newbie:,
My x/fh would say this to me all the time. It would drive me :spinning: b/c I was in the same perdicament as some. So, I know how far God has gotten me. Now dealing with depression you can or see if you can speak to your Minister or a Christian Counselor to help you get a better understanding. Always stay covered in the word of the Lord. Depression is not easy to go through alone. However, over time and expressing your feelings. A person will start to become whole.

mrselle

I used to struggle with depression and I learned the hard way that it's not so easy to pull yourself out of it. My friends would tell me the same things people tell you and it wouldn't make me feel any better. What did/does help me is lots and lots of prayer and reading the Word. That and talking to my prayer partner. And sometimes I would have to push myself. Just last week I kept feeling this heavy weight on me. The easy thing would have been for me to curl up in the bed and go to sleep, but I continued to read my Bible and pray about what I was feeling and now I feel so much better. (((((hugs to you)))))

Highly Favored8

I used to struggle with depression and I learned the hard way that it's not so easy to pull yourself out of it. My friends would tell me the same things people tell you and it wouldn't make me feel any better. What did/does help me is lots and lots of prayer and reading the Word. That and talking to my prayer partner. And sometimes I would have to push myself. Just last week I kept feeling this heavy weight on me. The easy thing would have been for me to curl up in the bed and go to sleep, but I continued to read my Bible and pray about what I was feeling and now I feel so much better. (((((hugs to you)))))

(((((HUGS))))) to you.
You are in my prayers.:yep:

juju

You re all in my daily prayers.
May God send his comforting angels to comfort us whenever we are down.

OhmyKimB

I HATE HATE HATE that....which is one reason why I've just learned not to share my feelings with anyone. I can understand someone wants me to feel better but all I want is for you to see my point and understand how that makes me feel....and if your the cause then make it stop or if your not help me through the situation.

In high school this is what my best friend/sister did for me...she just listened and understood whether or not my feelings were justifed or if I looked at a situation correctly she just tried to help me get through it and get everything out. I feel bad and I thank God that she was and still is in my life...but I feel bad cuz we were young and trying to help me was more then she could handle and she was so scared of telling my mom or hers about what I was going through.

My other best friend does not understand this....but he is a male...he doesn't get why I don't tell him things but he doesn't understand that when we go through I don't talk to him cuz it doesn't bring relief...he does wha tthe OP was talking about and I usually want to punch him in the mouth

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

No. It doesn't help. Not one bit. :nono:

plainj

Yes I feel this way too. Sometimes all you need is a gentle, listening, ear and a soft, understanding shoulder to cry on.

bbdgirl

You know what depression is not just wrong thinking, it is actually a chemical imbalance in the brain. I suffer from low grade chronic depression. For me depression is the way that I have learned to cope with emotional stress and events. I suffer from depression and the thing that the used to really upset me the most was the fact that I was depressed.
I felt bad because I didn't feel good. I didnt know how to feel good. :perplexed I always focused on the perceived negatives in my life.

Nothing anyone could say would make me feel better.

This is also why I have never really shared my feelings with anyone (wrong or right, this is just how I get down).

I now work on making me feel better. Doing what is best for me and not worrying so much about what others think of me (this is one of my problems).
I am learning to take care of me, that's all. Simply taking care of me and let the world take care ot itself.

I am trying to love me now, that's all. That's what is most important to me now:yep:.

Renovating

You know what depression is not just wrong thinking, it is actually a chemical imbalance in the brain. I suffer from low grade chronic depression. For me depression is the way that I have learned to cope with emotional stress and events. I suffer from depression and the thing that the used to really upset me the most was the fact that I was depressed.
I felt bad because I didn't feel good. I didnt know how to feel good. :perplexed I always focused on the perceived negatives in my life.

Nothing anyone could say would make me feel better.

This is also why I have never really shared my feelings with anyone (wrong or right, this is just how I get down).

I now work on making me feel better. Doing what is best for me and not worrying so much about what others think of me (this is one of my problems).
I am learning to take care of me, that's all. Simply taking care of me and let the world take care ot itself.

I am trying to love me now, that's all. That's what is most important to me now:yep:.

ITA (red). I have not been able to master keeping my feelings to myself, because sometimes I just want someone to understand soooo bad. But if people around you don't understand, ( and the people around me don't- my reason for posting this) I guess that's the best thing to do. I'll work on this too. Thanks.

bbdgirl

I don't know your situation but believe me seeking professional therapy/counselling is very helpful. Because what is good about therapy is that it is objective listening. The therapists has nothing to gain by the decisions that you make. Unlike family, spouses, bf or friends are all affected by the decisions that you make. Take care of yourself and seek help. You will be surprised at how good you can feel. I was!!:yep:

sunshinebeautiful

I don't know your situation but believe me seeking professional therapy/counselling is very helpful. Because what is good about therapy is that it is objective listening. The therapists has nothing to gain by the decisions that you make. Unlike family, spouses, bf or friends are all affected by the decisions that you make. Take care of yourself and seek help. You will be surprised at how good you can feel. I was!!:yep:

I totally cosign this! Sometimes God works through people, just give Him a chance to do what He does!

cocoberry10

It doesn't bother me, but I think it's highly inappropriate (although I don't disagree with the actual sentiment behind it--reminding us of how precious of a gift life is).

We as Christians aren't always the best at comforting people when they are down. And this is really too bad, b/c this is not the spirit Jesus would want us to have with our fellow man (whether a believer or an unbeliever).

The truth is, when people are down, sometimes what they want is to be heard. Not reminded of how lucky they are, but just for someone to listen. I'm not saying that you should let someone pour negativity into you (for this can be harmful to your spirit:yep:). However, I think of how Christians often behave when someone dies, or when a fellow Christian is feeling down, and often, "we" (speaking generically) are rather abrasive and insensitive. I've actually heard people say things like "he never puts more on you than you can bear" to someone at the funeral of a loved one (especially someone really close like a parent or sibling or spouse:eek::yep:).

Maybe that's true, but darn? Did you really have to say it at the time when the person's whole heart feels like it was ripped out, put on a stake and burned at the fire over and over again?

bbdgirl

It doesn't bother me, but I think it's highly inappropriate (although I don't disagree with the actual sentiment behind it--reminding us of how precious of a gift life is).

We as Christians aren't always the best at comforting people when they are down. And this is really too bad, b/c this is not the spirit Jesus would want us to have with our fellow man (whether a believer or an unbeliever).

The truth is, when people are down, sometimes what they want is to be heard. Not reminded of how lucky they are, but just for someone to listen. I'm not saying that you should let someone pour negativity into you (for this can be harmful to your spirit:yep:). However, I think of how Christians often behave when someone dies, or when a fellow Christian is feeling down, and often, "we" (speaking generically) are rather abrasive and insensitive. I've actually heard people say things like "he never puts more on you than you can bear" to someone at the funeral of a loved one (especially someone really close like a parent or sibling or spouse:eek::yep:).

Maybe that's true, but darn? Did you really have to say it at the time when the person's whole heart feels like it was ripped out, put on a stake and burned at the fire over and over again?

ITA, this is so true!!! When my Mom passed, my BFF said this very same thing to me. She wasnt trying to be callous, because I know she didn't know how to comfort me. But now that you mention it, this is not really very comforting or encouraging. After having gone through something as deavstating/world shattering as the loss of a parent I now know better things to say, because I understand the emotions that the person is experiencing when really bad things happen OR someone is just feeling blue/depressed.
Life is a learning process, but when someone is hurting we have to remember to not think about what will make ourselves feel better; but think about what the person who is hurting really needs.
Pause for a moment and let empathy enter your soul so that you let God work through you and really comfort that person. When you do that you'll find that you'll say the "right" words more often than not.

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

Maybe it's just me, but this doesn't bother me at all. It makes me focus on the POSITIVES going on in my life. If it's even for a short few moments, it really helps me. I always think of something my pastor said once during a sermon, "why focus on the 10% of your life that's horrible instead of focusing on the 90% of things that are going well?" I am NOT devaluing anything that anyone is going through, but that was a real "lightbulb" moment for me.
:bighug:
I really respect all the ladies who are willing to talk about their depression in such an open forum. I am praying for breakthroughs and blessing for you all!