Paging all the women here who use Curl Activator..

AZJeepgurl

I went to Wal-Mart today to purchase some things and since I have been reading so many good things about S-Curl , I was really close to buying it.

Then, as I always do, I opened the bottle and rubbed a little into my hand to see how it felt, smelled, absorbed, etc.

I thought it was sticky and imagined it being like glue in my hair. (S-Curl no drip activator spray).

I have 3 questions for those of you that use it:

1- Do you use the spray or gel (like Adrienne)?

2-What brand?

3-What result (feel of hair, retention of length,etc. ) makes you love this product?

4-Is it sticky in the hair, too?

O.K., O.K. that was 4 questions but though it's only $3.28, I want to make sure it's even worth trying.

Thanks in advance, Ladies.

Here's too healthy hair! /images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Jenai

spray

2-What brand?
S-Curl no drip activator spray
(also pruchased proclaim gel activator -the worst - made my hair stiff)

3-What result (feel of hair, retention of length,etc. ) makes you love this product?
made my hair feel moisturized all day when wearing it pulled up in a ponytail

okay, it does feel sticky after more than one day of use, but I am heavy-handed with hair products in general

My Motto:
"less is more"?
nope
"more is better"

For me S-Curl felt EXACTLY the same way it did with you at first. I thought it was a bit sticky and 'yucky' feeling but I don't think I used it correctly and gave it a chance.

I use the S-Curl spray. I needed something to soften the regrowth that I have as I was having trouble keeping my hair thoroughly moisturized before my next touch up. For the past month I've been airdrying and pinning the hair back with minimal combing.

The results for me are immediate. I mainly use it after a hair wash, spritzing it through the hair to the ends and the hair is noticeably softer as it dries. And what's nice is that it stays soft and moisturized after the hair is dry! These past few days I wore 2 pigtails and each braid was soft and stayed that way. This says alot when living in a strongly dry heat house.

It doesn't feel sticky in my hair. I think when I first used it, I came home from buying it and just sprayed it on top of whatever stuff was already in my hair and I thought 'yuck!' but then I figured I should at least try it after a hair wash to give it a fair chance. It DOES work. Apparently its because of the high glycerin in it which acts as a moisture attractant and moisture retainer.

For me, its the best hair moisturizer I've found for dealing with alot of regrowth. I don't plan on using it for rollarsets unless someone else on the board goes first and raves (I'm such a sheep).

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
AZJeepgurl said:

I USE S CURL NON DRIP SPRAY

2-What brand?

SEE ABOVE

HAIR IS SOFT AND MOIST. MY ENDS ARE RETAINED AND GETTING LONGER. THE 'MOISTNESS' LASTS FOR A LONG TIME. I HAVE JUST FOUND OUT THAT IT REALLY GOES WELL WITH MY BLUE MAGIC. THE MOISTURE IS RETAINED FOR DAYS AND DAYS COS THE PETROLEUM TRAPS THE MOISTURE AND ELIMINATED THE FRIZZIES I USED TO GET. I LOVE THIS COMBO AND SO DOES MY HAIR!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NOT REALLY

[/ QUOTE ]

smlwndr97

Aesthetician

I use the spray

2-What brand?

S-Curl No Drip ( I also use IC Pure Tea Moisturizer/Activator, which is not AS good as S-Curl but it does not cause any "itchies")

I LOVE this product because my hair feels sooo much more moisturized when I use it. My hair is ultra soft immediately and it remains "moist" throughout the day. I use it when I wear my hair in a bun (which is almost every day).

Its not sticky, initially. But if you apply it everyday, like I do, then you may find that it gets a bit sticky. But I wash every couple of days so I don't have big problem with it. Also, if you apply it at night, you may find that it is less sticky throughout the week.

The activator tip is one of the best tips i have received on the hair boards

Leshia

I use the Rebound Curl Activator Gel and what I enjoy most about it is the way my hair looks (while needing a touch-up). I can't say that my hair is unbelievably soft using this product (maybe I should switch to the spray), but I do enjoy the protection on my ends when I combine the activator with sulfur 8 on the length and ends of my hair. I can see the moisture it in. My hair shines more...

Compassion

So with the curl activator, one can only wear a wet looking natural style, or bun right? /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Compassion

Tea

Has anyone had problems with breakage/shedding when using Curl Acrivator? Maybe it's just me but when I tried it, it seemed like I loss more hair thane usual.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
1- Do you use the spray or gel

I use gel

2-What brand?

Worlds of Curls (the one in the tube) and Fantasia IC Silky Gel Moisturizer Activator.

It moisturizes my hair all day long--I don't have to apply it more than once a day.

It gets sticky if I don't shampoo after 3-4 days. The Fantasia is stickier than the WOC.

keylargo

do you ladies use this when your hair is freshly relaxed or is it more for when you're trying to soften your newgrowth?
are you still able to wear your hair in straight styles or does it make your hair wavy?

nita4

Compassion,

I normally wear mine in a bun, french roll or twist when using the S-Curl spray.

Keylargo, I use on freshly relaxed hair and I use to maintain my new growth. But, my hair is always in an updo. I have however attempted a dry set with the S-Curl spray and it worked well. It did weight my hair down, but it is possible. I wouldn't attempt putting on straight hair, it might make it wavy from the moisture unless set or pulled up. HTH

Compassion

THanks Nita! I guess I'll just keep experimenting (on the weekends). /images/graemlins/wink.gif I guess there is not much I can do to damage my hair right now, as long as I don't use any chemicals. As always thanks for you imformative responses.

Compassion

Tara

AZJeepgurl said:
I went to Wal-Mart today to purchase some things and since I have been reading so many good things about S-Curl , I was really close to buying it.

Then, as I always do, I opened the bottle and rubbed a little into my hand to see how it felt, smelled, absorbed, etc.

I thought it was sticky and imagined it being like glue in my hair. (S-Curl no drip activator spray).

2-What brand?

O.K., O.K. that was 4 questions but though it's only $3.28, I want to make sure it's even worth trying.

Thanks in advance, Ladies.

Here's too healthy hair! /images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">1- Do you use the spray or gel (like Adrienne)? </font>

I use both. I like the gel for ease of application if I am in a hurry, but they work the same for me.

<font color="blue">2-What brand? </font> I alternate between S-Curl Spray (I don't really like the gel) and Worlds of Curls Spray and Gel. Once in a while I go back to my old faithful Sta-Sof-Fro.

<font color="blue">3-What result (feel of hair, retention of length,etc. ) makes you love this product? </font> I love the moisture retention, the softness, which assists in retention of length.

<font color="blue">4-Is it sticky in the hair, too? </font>It hasn't been sticky (at all for me) as much as it's been wet. So it takes a while for my hair to dry. But when it does dry, it dries nice and soft

adrienne0914

i use the spray. i've been considering using the gel though. lately, i've wanted heavier coverage.

2-What brand?
S-Curl spray
World of Curls gel (in the tub)

my hair stays moist for days. for instance, i put some on my ends with vaseline on monday. i haven't had to put more on my ends since. for me, moist hair has meant longer hair.

it seems sticky at first, but the hair that isn't in the bun is completely dry now and not sticky at all.

i only use activator on my hair when i wear it up.

adrienne

p.s. londondiva, it does make my scalp itch if i put it directly on it. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

elliot

Maybe I missed this in the previous posts, but can I spray it on my hair after I have flat ironed or do I need to apply it and allow the spray to "dry" before flat ironing? Or is this one of those products best suited for ponytails? Just curious. (I am going to purchase some this weekend.) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

elliot, for me, this is definitely just for the ponytail. it could be that it would work for dry styles, but i don't think so because of the glycerine.

adrienne

LondonDiva

Ok that's it. I'm going to find some of this stuff today. All you ladies can't be having good thngs to say about this spray and then there's me not having another product to rave about.

Robin41

Hey, AZ. Hope you're enjoying that Arizona weather cause we're in the middle of a deep freeze here in Jersey.

I use the S-Curl spray for up-dos only. I don't think I'd use it to wear my hair down. I like that it retains moisture (I use Nature's Shine spray oil on top of the S-Curl to seal it in) to the point where when I take down my pony or bun or whatever at the end of the day, my ends are still moisturized. And it keeps my edges smoothed down for up-dos. Can't beat that combo.

It feels a little sticky when first sprayed on, but that goes away as it dries and my hair just feels soft and conditioned.

My husband uses it too and it just keeps his natural hair SOOO curly (I'm totally jealous). Let us know if you decide to try it.

AZJeepgurl

Re: Activators - Thank you all for your input

Ladies,

As always, you women are most wonderful and giving with your precious advice. Such an overwhelming response
to run out and buy this stuff. I have been convinced (thank you very much) and I will try the S-curl immediately
to tame this new growth and preserve what little moisture I'm getting out here.

Robin41: Hah! I sure don't miss the winter weather in my home state. It's been an unseasonably 76-78 degrees
here in AZ for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe it's time for you and hubby to take a vacation.LOL.

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE! Although, any more replies to this post will be duly noted and added to the warm
and fuzzy list of "things my hair needs". MWAH! /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

Kimmil129

I had a question about activators the other day I guess activator is activator, but I currently use Luster's S-Curl Activator no sticky feeling and it lays your hair down perfectly. I use the Adrienne's method(plastic bag) but instead of vaseline I use Mean Mink Cream on my ends,and yes it does itch if to close to scalp. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Azalia

I just purchased a bottle of S-curl no drip activator because I want to really get into the protective syles and I like the bun method alot better. I saturated my hair but not too much and it layed my hair down perfectly /images/graemlins/smile.gif. My hair is so moisturized I LOVE IT /images/graemlins/clap.gif. I don't know about long term but I will be permantely wearing my hair up until the summer. I may feel the urge to wear it down if so I will just do a roller set. Thumbs /images/graemlins/up.gif for the activator TIP.

azul11

i dont know if it was already discussed but do people put this on their hair wet or dry? do particles stick to the hair because of the glycerine in the curl activator? do you have to use a clarifying shampoo after using this to remove it? i need to try this. i used gel on my new growth . it wasnt a alcohol based one. it didnt leave my hair moisturized just heavy feeling and sticky and kind of dirty. i'll have to look into this. God bless you all.

adrienne0914

azul, i put activator on my wet hair right after i wash it. i also add some over the course of the week to resmooth my hair down.

i've never had anything stick to my hair after using curl activator. my hair dries eventually, but it isn't hard when it does dry. i also use a non-alcohol based gel. i mix it with the activator. that way i get moisture and staying power.

adrienne

p.s. oh yeah, i don't own a clarifying shampoo. so far i haven't needed one...

JerseyGirl

I use the Adrienne's method as well. This is the best tip that I got from this board.

I use S-Curl activator every morning with WGO. It makes my hair so smooth. The texture of my hair, even after 12 weeks without a touch looks very smooth and wavy. I had no shedding nor breakage. I am on my third week without a perm now and because of the cold weather I have been wearing my hair back into a ponytail and using the S-Curl daily. It is quick and easy. 5 minutes and I'm out the door.

My son has try to take over on the S-Curl. I had to buy him his own because he is very heavy handed with things and before you know there wouldn't be anymore. But I did notice that his drier than dry hair has became more moistured by using it. The S-Curl to me is the BEST. Thanks Adrienne for this tip. I love it.

adrienne0914

jerseygirl, this is great news! i'm also glad it's working for your son. how old is he? i use the World of Curls on my 6-year old son's hair. i keep his really short, and it makes it wave up. i saw this young girl (maybe 12) with hair down her back. it was really pretty but SOOOOO dry. i swear i heard it cough. /images/graemlins/grin.gif i wanted to tell her mom to get her some curl activator, but ya just don't know how people will take stuff...

kizzy, are you talking about the one in the tube? i've always said i would try that but never bought it. i'm such a creature of habit. let us know how you like it, ok?

adrienne

AZJeepgurl

Re: Activators - And the results are.....

Great stuff! I washed &amp; conditioned and then applied my new Pantene light conditioner(couldn't resist. I loooooooove that smell) and then I applied the S-Curl.

I rolled my hair and let it airdry for the better of 3 hours and sat under the dryer for 1/2 hour. Took out the magnetic rollers and joila....my hair was soft and most importantly my new growth was soft.

I'm not really too fond of the S-Curl smell (although it doesn't stink...just not my thing), so the pantene made it smell nice while the S-Curl did it's thing.

I have to say it's not really all that sticky though running my fingers through my hair, I did come back with a teeny bit of residue. Not enough to matter.

Thanks, Adrienne for sharing the tip and all of you ladies for sharing your results. Well, worth the money!
By the way, Adrienne:

adrienne0914 said:
i saw this young girl (maybe 12) with hair down her back. it was really pretty but SOOOOO dry. i swear i heard it cough.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ROTFL! Funny!

From me and my happy hair...mwah!
Tammi

Kizzy0806

Adrienne,
The S curl light gel work very well for me. I use it just like you use it for the baggie method along with the Lets Jam styling gel. I like how it makes my hair soft. How do you stop stray hairs from flying. I don't think I use enuf gel. How much activator and styling gel you mix together? Do you use more get than activator or more activator than gel in your mixture? How do I add more shine to my hair so that it would match the shine of my pony tail?