Paging all the women here who use Curl Activator..

NayNay

Re: Activators - Thank you all for your input

I was trying to find the post but someone on the board suggested mixing wildgrowth and S curl and I did last night and put it on my ends and the mixture was GREAT!!!
It was smoother and my hair I believe came out softer. I only added a few drops of wildgrowth and no they didn't mix well but I really liked it and a little bit goes a long way.
Someone complained of the frizzies with the curl activator and maybe you should try to strip your hair before using it. The more buildup on your hair the less it absorbs into the hair I believe!

azul11

ok i have a question. i plan to wash my guy's hair and i originally was going to use elasta qp mango butter moisturizer but now i am wonder if i should use my world of curls curl activator (gel) with a touch of oil? he has a prob with the comb out and he doesnt like to comb it because of that. which method would be best?:

shampoo: breakthru shampoo

conditioner: motions oil moisturizer moisture silk conditioner or i may just buy the breakthru conditioner (suggestions would be greatly appreciated)

oh does the motions need to be followed up by a moisturizing conditioner it says protein conditioner but i didnt follow up with one and my hair felt fine.

leave in elasta qp mango butter
OR leave in the world of curls.

which do you think would be better for him? he looks like a 4a to me at least. suggestions would be greatly appreciated. God bless you all.

azul11

anyone???????? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif God bless you all.

marabou1

Hello Ladies:

I've been reading the posts here for a few weeks and I'm hooked! I've just registered today and I'm sure I won't regret it.

I became obsessed with the health of my hair after reading Cathy Howse's book last year. So informative!

My question is for those who air dry their hair. One person mentioned putting in the Scurl after washing and letting their hair hang dry. Can you specify how this is done?

Do you comb the hair after applying the Scurl? Is there a specific comb that I should be using? I've been always told that it's much easier to damage the hair if combed while wet.

Thanks.

AZJeepgurl

Re: Active ingredient - Glycerine

oooo..ooooo.ooooo /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Here's a question: If we believe glycerine to be the most important ingredient in S-Curl, why not just buy the
glycerine alone ( I know Whole Foods sells a big bottle) and just add some olive and essential oils?

Has anyone tried this and compared it to the S-curl? If not, I will be the guinea pig.

Tammi
/images/graemlins/blush.gif

adrienne0914

i have two bottles of glycerine at home, one i never even opened. want it? lol! i don't like the consistency of the glycerine by itself. it's very heavy. that could just be me though. i know that faith mixes hers with water and sprays it on her braids.

adrienne

adrienne0914

marabou, i air dry my hair with the glycerine in the bun, but not wearing it down.

i think it's best to comb your hair while it's damp and work out the tangles than to wait until it's dry. i'm a firm believer in not brushing wet hair though. i think that can be damaging. i have a bone comb that i got from the local beauty supply. it's like these:

Bone Comb

don't be fooled by $1.99 imitations. nowadays, some companies are making combs that same color, but they're still plastic. if it costs that much, it's not a bone comb. the difference between bone and regular combs is that there are no seams in between the teeth. the seams on regular combs can make you lose more hair during combout.

adrienne

Faith

Well from what I understand. If you apply glycerin to your hair it pulls moisture to your hair unless there's no moisture in the air then it will pull it from your hair....making it feel drier. By adding glycerin to water you guarantee that your hair is moist just in case the air isn't. I hope that made sense. I'll try and find the original article for you. I did find out firsthand. When I use to dilute it 4oz glycerin to 4oz water my hair felt dry still...I couldn't explain it. But then I increased the water to 8-10oz and my hair started getting softer. Maybe that's why the first ingredient is water. I wonder if these companies will tell us what the concentrations are. Hmmm.

G

1- Do you use the spray or gel (like Adrienne)?
-gel

2-What brand?
-World of Curls

3-What result (feel of hair, retention of length,etc. ) makes you love this product?
-When I scrunched it, I get waves in no time, and it doesn't leave my hair feeling greasy at all. And it is not harmful to my hair at all.

4-Is it sticky in the hair, too?
It can be. But I always apply it when my hair is wet, and as it dries, my hair is really soft.

I say that you dry the World of Curls too. It gives me no problems, and it has no strong odor whatsoever. So you don't have to worry about smelling like drip, drip.

pebbles

Hi Marabou1,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I read Cathy Howes book as well last year and it put me on the path to proper hair care. When I spray my hair with curl activator, I usually wear my hair up.
I also only use a wide tooth comb like adrienne, and I don't use hair brushes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AZJeepgurl

Waaah! /images/graemlins/cry3.gif
Adrienne: Bummer! I still may try it when I'm done with the S-Curl (spoken like a recovering PJ...lol). PM me how much you want for the unused bottle and I will gladly take it off your hands. But if the product and shipping come to over $11.00, then I'll just waltz on over to Whole foods and snatch up a bottle. Thanks, Chickie!

Faith:Hmmmm /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif So that means since I live in like /images/graemlins/blush.gifoo: the dryest state there is, I should probably try your method of mixing more water to glycerine cause if that's true about the air snatching moisture when the air is dry, well my hair would be an equivalent texture to the tumbleweeds in the desert. But can you compare that mixture to S-Curl? Have you used activator? Thanks.

keylargo

Welcome Marabou /images/graemlins/wave.gif
I knew it wouldn't take long for you to join /images/graemlins/wink.gif

marabou1

Hi Keylargo:

Thanks again for introducing me to this place. I love it!

Pebbles, thanks. I'm looking forward to learning here and also giving some tips myself.

Adrienne, I have the exact comb! Good, now I don't have to worry. Thanks much.

I just purchased the Scurl last night, but hope it's the right one. Is it from Luster's?

Also, in what way exactly do you pull your hair up if you're air-drying it? Anyone?

Thanks!

Faith

HI AZJeepgurl,
Yeah I'm using Luster's activator spray now along with my glycerin mixture (not on the same day). I don't know I think I'm leaning towards the scurl. I have the grey one with blue writing (I got the wrong one, I think the one everyone is using is the white with blue writing, but it works just as well). I'm going to try the jel (tub) one next. I'll let you know how it goes.

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
marabou1 said:
I just purchased the Scurl last night, but hope it's the right one. Is it from Luster's?

Also, in what way exactly do you pull your hair up if you're air-drying it? Anyone?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

yes scurl is from lusters in the blue and white bottle so you got the right one!!

when airdrying with activator you just pin it up in a ponytail. but i like it hanging down or in two ponytails to dry.HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Integrity

the world of curls in the tub ROCKS!!! a lil goes a long way and it really smoothes my edges with a shine. they have the original formula and the formula for 'extra dry hair' (yellowish gel), i use the latter and am impressed! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

marabou1

Uh-oh Pandora!!

I purchased the one that's the gray bottle with blue writing from Luster's. Is there something wrong with that one?

Faith

Marabou, I have that one there's nothing wrong with it. They all have the same basic ingredients and they all work very well. HTH!