Pantene..is it a marketing ploy ?

asha

okay guys..we know there is general pantene, now there is pantene relaxed and natural for us sistas...what will it be next pantene for irish redheads..maybe..check out this website
http://www.indiainfoline.com/bize/pate.html
This product..pantene long and black is marketed towards indian women with long black hair..says that it helps darken the hair shaft uniformly..yet contains no colourants

Are there different ingredients in the products marketed to specific hair types or is it just the same basic formula repackaged to appeal to different races and ethnicities.

loverofnaps71

I actually LOVE it! I use Pantene R&N. I do no-poo/condition washes with it, not everyday. I wash my hair maybe once a week. The condition washes are every other day. I LOVE this product and would recommend for any natural who is seeking a moisturizing conditioner and/or detangler.

jaibee

i think it is.... why did it take them so long to make a product for black women? we have been using their products for years and years. and i don't like the fact that their relaxed and natural shampoo has petrolatum in it? what is that about?

skegeesmb

I do admit though, I do like Pantene's products, but this name everybody to urge them to buy our product is a little old.

jaibee

yeah they didn't have to color the bottle brown but i guess they wanted it to stand out. you are not being to sensitive

NubianAngel

I think its a marketing ploy. I think Pantene's basic success for marketing is hair health. They seem to have the same provitamin template for their products, and use the provitamin agle to appeal to different groups

Curly hair will look less frizzy and more smooth because its healthy

Relaxed hair will be stronger and shinier because its healthy...

Indian hair will APPEAR blacker(no colorants) because its shinier, already dark and healthy...

Idunno

DatJerseyDyme

Has anyone noticed that the ingredients in the R&N and the S&S are the exact same except for the addition of oils in the R&N?

Honi

There is no board.
What gets me is that I see alot of Indians that are brown. How come the "special formula" for Indians isn't colored?

inthepink

Honestly, it annoyed me to see the new R&N products from Pantene. For one, their regular products work just fine in AA hair so I didn't see the point. Furthermore, I didn't understand the need to make the bottle burnt orange so it completely stands out from the rest of their products.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Honestly, it annoyed me to see the new R&N products from Pantene. For one, their regular products work just fine in AA hair so I didn't see the point. Furthermore, I didn't understand the need to make the bottle burnt orange so it completely stands out from the rest of their products.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought I was the only one who thought that. It must be working 'cause it's still on the shelves.

Allandra

Well, if they happen to make a conditioner (in this particular line), I would probably give it a try to see if it gives me just as much slip as the Smooth and Sleek and the Daily Moisture Renewal. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for this.

inthepink

Allandra,

I would probably give it a try, also. I liked how the ad said it works on the ends b/c it's the oldest hair.

AnjelLuvs

I mean there is NO HAPPY MEDIUM first we complain about not having products geared to us now that there is we still complain

AngelForLove

Okay, I have to stick up for Pantene. First of all, I love their R&N conditioner. It makes my hair perfect! I am glad that they came out with the R&N line. The beauty industry takes so much of our money they should act like we exist. It is nice to finally get that kind of attention from a major company. And I love looking at an R&N ad and seeing black people, knowing that what I see is an attainable goal. Before this all I saw were white people in hair product ads which made me feel like my hair was alien and I could never attain beauty because the standard of beauty shown was that of a white person, like I need to try to look as white as possible to be pretty. And I don't feel conspicuous or embarrassed holding the bronze bottles (in fact I feel proud). I feel more embarrassed when I have to go to the tiny display of "cultural" products (which I've noticed don't always seem to look as clean and new as the major brands) and pick up something which many caucasians probably never heard of, like I am affirming something they already know: Black people's hair is very different.
And so what if it is just a marketing ploy? After all, any smart business in a capitalist society is going to try to tap into such a huge consumer base. Either way it helps us out. Once one big business recognizes a consumer base the others will follow to keep up. That means competition for them and better products at lower prices for us. I believe the ends justify the means. It is a win-win situation for us. We are finally being acknowledged.

asha

That is exactly what I was wondering..is it better products for us at better prices? One of the questions in my original post was about the ingredients and if they are different from one pantene product to another?

I'm not trying to start a battle against pantene, just trying to figure stuff out. I know the shiny new R&N bottle looks nicer then the stuff on the cultural shelves as i've seen this aswell but if the products on the cultural shelves are in a sad state then we should complain to the store for leaving them that way.

I'm not criticizing...just wondering if it is not the same thing..when a black sista purchases R&N is it still not going to be seen as a "cultural product". I like seeing the ads aswell but I don't really see it as any different then purchasing a black product that whites have never heard because it still is a "black product" just marketed by a largely known white company...if only half those store clerks realized many of those "black products" they leave looking ragged on the store shelves are manufactured by largely know white companies... I never even realized how many products out their geared towards us were made by REVLON.

I think it is innovative of pantene to try to target people this way....but I also wonder about the ingredients. I know that a lot of us will critique a new product..write to the company asking for ingredients...etc, yet to tell you the truth ..I have no idea what is in the pantene because where I am the ingredients are not listed on the bottles. I am just wondering if pantene has taken the same old ingredients found in many of the "black products" that we have written off and remarketed it under the pantene name which some of us psychologically equate with long beautiful hair.(someone had mentioned that it has petrolatum). Agian, I am not starting a war against pantene..just interested in opinions and such because to me it is an interesting topic.

Might make for a good essay for marketing class or psychology!

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Furthermore, I didn't understand the need to make the bottle burnt orange so it completely stands out from the rest of their products.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a bit odd

diamond_nh

[ QUOTE ]
DatJerseyDyme said:
Has anyone noticed that the ingredients in the R&N and the S&S are the exact same except for the addition of oils in the R&N?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have noticed this and it makes me wonder how much of a difference is it really. I wonder how much oils are they really adding.

AngelForLove

I hope I didn't come off as argumentative in my previous post. I wasn't trying to...

I think the R&N conditioner differs the most from the rest of Pantene's conditioners because I looked at the ingredients on 3 or 4 of their other conditioners and the ingredients listed were exactly the same in exactly the same order
(I suppose the ratios differ somewhat though.). The R&N one was the only one that was different with ingredients such as jojoba seed oil and coconut oil.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
@ Long & Latina!

I think Pantene does this to appeal to people who may not buy products that aren't created especially for their hair type. My cousins never tried Pantene until the R&N line came out. They thought it was only for white people's hair. The same with John Frieda Relax.

They are all basically the same thing. I don't buy the R&N because I don't like that boo boo brown bottle.