Pantene R&N Mask

princessdi

Is this a protein-based product, or is it more for moisturizing? When products say that they are for breakage, I immediately assume that it's a protein-based product; however, from the ingredients below, it doesn't look like it.

INGREDIENTS
Water; Stearyl Alcohol; Amodimethicone; Behentrimonium Chloride; Cetyl Alcohol; Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil; Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil; Panthenol; Panthenyl Ethyl Ether; Fragrance; Lysine HCl; Methyl Tyrosinate HCl; Histidine; Benzyl Alcohol; Disodium EDTA; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Methylisothiazolinone; Sodium Hydroxide

Is this a protein-based product, or is it more for moisturizing? When products say that they are for breakage, I immediately assume that it's a protein-based product; however, from the ingredients below, it doesn't look like it.

INGREDIENTS
Water; Stearyl Alcohol; Amodimethicone; Behentrimonium Chloride; Cetyl Alcohol; Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil; Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil; Panthenol; Panthenyl Ethyl Ether; Fragrance; Lysine HCl; Methyl Tyrosinate HCl; Histidine; Benzyl Alcohol; Disodium EDTA; Methylchloroisothiazolinone; Methylisothiazolinone; Sodium Hydroxide

I agree:yep:.

This is really not a protein treatment. However, it does contain a couple of amino acids. Yet and still I have used this and it certainly does keep the breakage away. I have no idea what ingredients cause it to have this effect, but it does work. I am so anti-Pantene, it's not even funny but the LHCF ladies convinced me to try it and I was quite pleased. :up:

INGREDIENTS

One this everyone on this hair board needs to know is that Pantene's basic/core formula is pretty sound. That is why many people flock to it. Sure they have awesome campaigns and advertisment, but that's because people expect them too because their products work. (I personally don't like the new formulas that have been out for the past 5 or so years. I LOVED the old formula and smell) But the bolded are very well known for how they dry on the hair and bond to areas that are damaged. And panthenol (vitamin b) is a humuctant and thickener. That's how it reduces breakage. Most people who use pantene (preferable a formula without ALS or too many cones) will see a positive difference in their hair. That's why Pantene had that whole 1 day challenge/campaign a couple years ago.

No, I don't work for Pantene, and I don't even use their products anymore, but it's a good starting point for anyone looking for healthier hair.

Exiting thread now.

Hey there sweetie,

Have you tried the mild protein by ApHogee? It's not the two-step one but the 2 min. keratin one.

hths,
tishee

No I haven't! I've used the two step one before. I guess I will have to look out for the 2 minute one! Thanks for the suggestion!

Me too.

My hair doesn't like protein but it likes the Pantene R&N mask.

My hair doesn't like protein either which is why I'm asking about this product. My hair really responds well to it; however, with me trying to spring back from protein overload, I don't want to use it if it is a protein product.

i think its protein. my hair loves protein but i dont think my hair liked this product. i only left it in the remainder of my shower and idk. it just didnt feel good.

Lysine HCl; Methyl Tyrosinate HCl; Histidine
I remembered something from when this came up in another thread. The protein in the mask is the "Pantene Amino Protein Complex" of Lysine HCI, Methyl Tyrosinate HCI, and Histidine.

According to http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=5217 "L-Lysine is an essential amino acid, which means your body cannot manufacture it. It must be obtained through the diet or by supplementation. Lysine is one of the most well known amino acids and is an essential component of all proteins."

Methyl Tyrosinate HCL is a hair conditioning agent:
http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ing...refurl=/product.php?prod_id=97205&&nothanks=1

Histidine (abbreviated as His or H)[1] is one of the 20 standard amino acids present in proteins. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histidine

Since you want to avoid protein I recommend using the Pantene Time Renewal Replenishing Mask. I really like it. It doesn't have those 3 ingredients and it works great. The label doesn't say it's for breakage. It says "dramatically quenches parched hair, leaving hair supple and restored while shielding it from damage".
pr_tr_replenishing_mask_LRG.png

Back