People Who Offer Prayers, But They Live a Sinful Lifestyle

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but I've got a question about prayer.

Does God answer the prayers of folks who aren't living right? Or aren't trying to live right?

What if someone offers to say a prayer for you about something, but you can tell from their lifestyle they are in sin (gossiper, fornicator, adulterer, gambler, liar etc.) Should that person bother praying about certain things? Is God only listening for request from folks who are doing right? Striving to do right?

I know He always answers a genuine cry of repentance, salvation from us.

None of us are perfect, but what's the difference between a person that can get a prayer through and one that can't?

This question makes me think of the part of James 5:16 that goes The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Looking forward to your responses.

Last edited:

dicapr

If God only listens to the prayer of those who are perfect then we are all in trouble. There is a differnce between ignoring one's sin and struggling to overcome a sin. A righteous man is not a sinless man. Abraham believed God and was called righteous but we have documented accounts of his sins. Whether Abraham stopped lying everytime he thought someone wanted his wife or Sarah just got old we do not know. But what is known that he strived to serve the Lord and reasoned in his heart to put nothing above God. The question is whether the individual has a close personal relationship with God and has purposed in thier heart sin no more.

LoveisYou

If God only listens to the prayer of those who are perfect then we are all in trouble. There is a differnce between ignoring one's sin and struggling to overcome a sin. A righteous man is not a sinless man. Abraham believed God and was called righteous but we have documented accounts of his sins. Whether Abraham stopped lying everytime he thought someone wanted his wife or Sarah just got old we do not know. But what is known that he strived to serve the Lord and reasoned in his heart to put nothing above God. The question is whether the individual has a close personal relationship with God and has purposed in thier heart sin no more.

True, David was a man after God's own heart but he was sinful, I think his repentant heart pleased God.

Yes indeed @ the first bolded. Haha.

There have been times when I knew I wasn't in right standing with God because of a certain issue I was having, so I didn't bother to pray for certain things. I felt like how dare I ask God for something when I need to straighten myself up. What I needed to do first was focus on keeping God first. Was I wrong for thinking like that? Has anyone else ever felt like that?

makeupgirl

There have been times when I knew I wasn't in right standing with God because of a certain issue I was having, so I didn't bother to pray for certain things. I felt like how dare I ask God for something when I need to straighten myself up. What I needed to do first was focus on keeping God first. Was I wrong for thinking like that? Has anyone else ever felt like that?

I feel like this a lot. One thing I've learned is that we must pray without ceasing and allow the Holy Spirit to take full control so that we don't get out of the will of God. Sometimes it's hard, especially when allow ourselves to act contrary to what says we ought to do. I guess that's why Jesus said what he said in Matt 7 about judging. Because some judge a person on something with such ridicule but they are doing the exact same thing that they judge that person. That's probably why he also said he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I try to just confess straight up when I sin because it's hard to keep that conviction in. It's almost painful because it's shameful of what was done. I'm learning each day to just own whatever mistakes are made and just deal with the consequence that may follow and pray that I learned my lesson.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but I've got a question about prayer.

Does God answer the prayers of folks who aren't living right? Or aren't trying to live right?

What if someone offers to say a prayer for you about something, but you can tell from their lifestyle they are in sin (gossiper, fornicator, aduterer, gambler, liar etc.) Should that person bother praying about that particular issue? Is God only listening for request from folks who are doing right? Striving to do right?

I know He always answers a genuine cry of repentence, salvation from us.

None of us are perfect, but what's the difference between a person that can get a prayer through and one that can't?

This question makes me think of the part of James 5:16 that goes The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Looking forward to your responses.

There comes a point where a person's prayers can be 'blocked' because he/she have separated themselves from God because of unrepented sin.

King Saul lost favour with God when he sinned. He disobeyed God's command (I Samuel 15:4-9) As a result, God stopped speaking to him I Samuel 28:5-6).

In turn, Saul sought a witch who brought the spirit of Samuel from the grave.

King Saul did not have a repentant heart.

On the otherhand, King David did. When David acknowledged his sin and repented before God with all of his heart, sin was no longer blocking his prayers; his relationship with God.

There's a lot more to add to this and to bring it up to date. Mainly, is that when a person prays for someone, there's no way of knowing, except by the Holy Spirit's reveal, if the person praying is in sin or not.

Sadly, too many 'Ministers' who are in unrepented (hidden) sin, are sliding on God's grace, with answered prayers, which many times deceives them into thinking that they still have the 'gift' in spite of.

Bottomline, when prayers are answered, it is always by the Grace of God and not by man, be he / she in sin unrepented or repented of sin.

I'll be back sometime tomorrow to share more.

Sweet sleep dear one... :sleep2:

Shimmie

Staff member

I saw your question and I had to share this.

I too often feel this way. God is so gracious to me and I know I'm undeserving of the grace He gives me. I purposely will not ask for something for myself, but I will ask for others. Think about it. How many times have I asked for prayer in this forum? I choose instead to pray for others. :love2:

I refuse to 'use' God. I respect Him and I know that in my flesh, I have failed Him far more than I should be allowed, yet He still puts me in a place of His loving grace and He uses me everyday.

My life is filled with so much loving Grace of God. So much.

You're not alone is feeling this way. Not at all. :yep:

There comes a point where a person's prayers can be 'blocked' because he/she have separated themselves from God because of unrepented sin.

King Saul lost favour with God when he sinned. He disobeyed God's command (I Samuel 15:4-9) As a result, God stopped speaking to him I Samuel 28:5-6).

In turn, Saul sought a witch who brought the spirit of Samuel from the grave.

King Saul did not have a repentant heart.

On the otherhand, King David did. When David acknowledged his sin and repented before God with all of his heart, sin was no longer blocking his prayers; his relationship with God.

There's a lot more to add to this and to bring it up to date. Mainly, is that when a person prays for someone, there's no way of knowing, except by the Holy Spirit's reveal, if the person praying is in sin or not.

Sadly, too many 'Ministers' who are in unrepented (hidden) sin, are sliding on God's grace, with answered prayers, which many times deceives them into thinking that they still have the 'gift' in spite of.

Bottomline, when prayers are answered, it is always by the Grace of God and not by man, be he / she in sin unrepented or repented of sin.

I'll be back sometime tomorrow to share more.

Sweet sleep dear one... :sleep2:

That's a good way to put it- unrepentent sin.

One thing that really got me thinking about this topic was because I know of a woman who was seeing a married man and she said was going to say a prayer for a family member of his in the hospital. I know I shouldn't judge, but I was wondering how she could think she could get a prayer through when she's involved with a married man? That would be an unrepentant sin, right? Cause the first thing would be to realize she needs to leave the man alone, right? That's just an example, but it got me to thinking about how people toss around the "I'm going to pray for you, this, that or the other" thing.

Thank God for His grace! I know I could never "do enough" to deserve God answering my prayers.

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member

One thing that really got me thinking about this topic was because I know of a woman who was seeing a married man and she said was going to say a prayer for a family member of his in the hospital. I know I shouldn't judge, but I was wondering how she could think she could get a prayer through when she's involved with a married man? That would be an unrepentant sin, right? Cause the first thing would be to realize she needs to leave the man alone, right? That's just an example, but it got me to thinking about how people toss around the "I'm going to pray for you, this, that or the other" thing.

Thank God for His grace! I know I could never "do enough" to deserve God answering my prayers.

Candi... were you giving that woman the Holy Ghost 'sideeye'....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"We" all do it. I know I have. And I know people have done it "per say" at me. :lol: :look:

God has you there to pray for her. It's hard when we 'see' people out in the open with sin. Why is she with a married man? She's lonely and desperate and has lost hope in truly having a man that's really hers in her life.

I've known prayers to be answered in situations like this. People of God have prayed for me and God moved mightily and later I found out they were living in sin. *sigh*

We pray for them; admonish them as God leads you, for they have to be told (reminded) that's its consequences are not worth it.

Can I share this? One of the prayers that come into my heart is that God will bring them to Him, fully. The sin is over in their lives and they live for God so that their prayers will not be hindered.

I don't have answers, I just know that were it not for God, where would any of us be? I don't even want to think about it when it comes to me when I think of all that He saved me from. Not just saved my soul, but saved me from so much mess that all I can do is just Thank God for all of His endless mercies in my life.

Guess what? I was sleep and I woke up; remembered that I left my computer on. Saw your post.... :yep:

I'm out for the count now :lol: :sleep2:

Shimmie

Staff member

You've always been a 'sweetie'.... :yep:

Iwanthealthyhair67

I can attest to this feeling I very rarely ask for myself too...could this be a bad thing we are supposed to ask...

I saw your question and I had to share this.

I too often feel this way. God is so gracious to me and I know I'm undeserving of the grace He gives me. I purposely will not ask for something for myself, but I will ask for others. Think about it. How many times have I asked for prayer in this forum? I choose instead to pray for others. :love2:

I refuse to 'use' God. I respect Him and I know that in my flesh, I have failed Him far more than I should be allowed, yet He still puts me in a place of His loving grace and He uses me everyday.

My life is filled with so much loving Grace of God. So much.

You're not alone is feeling this way. Not at all. :yep:

Guitarhero

Being a Jew, Saul knew not to consult with mediums as it is a grave offense. His unrepentant sin was fully in his conscience so it wasn't hidden or something he didn't know he was doing. It was neither venial (not leading to separation from G-d until repented of..mortal meaning grave in nature and with full-conscience of a horrible wrong and unrepented) nor forgotten. His case was extreme.

dicapr

hearing and answering is two different things...even all the righteous prayers are not answered...

I agree with you on this one. I have often said that becaues God actually had a conversation with Satan after he had destroyed his perfect world in Job I know I can talk with him. It encourages me to continue talking with God no matter how unworthy I feel. There are times when I feel led not to pray about personal wants and to concentrate on praying for my soul but I believe we should always pray. God listens to us!