People with past the shoulder hair length...

mrslee

Love yourself first!
how do you cover your hair up at night or do you? I have a satin pillow case that I sleep on as well as trying to tie my hair up at night with a satin scarf. I have been doing the headwrap and letting my ends dangle free or sometimes I will put my bonnet over the headwrap. Sometimes in the middle of the night, my head gear has come off. I When I sleep in my bonnet, the next morning I feel as if my ends have been smashed and they dont look as nice as I would like them to. So what do you do or use to have nice looking hair in the morning. Tonight I am going to sleep with nothing on my hair, just my satin pillow case and see what happens. I oiled my ends fairly well. I dont want to out stress on my hair and cause any more splits.

Thanks Ladies in advance...... I am trying so hard to reach bra strap by Aug. i dont want to lose the lenght I gained! :)

Quinny

Good question

I put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head (so it doesn't get smushed against my pillow) then I wrap silks scarves around my head. Sometimes I add my satin bonnet on top of this (I know overkill). This when my hair is pressed. When it's natural I do either or (bonnet or scarves).

Q

mrslee

Love yourself first!
Re: Good question

Quinny said:
I put my hair in a ponytail on top of my head (so it doesn't get smushed against my pillow) then I wrap silks scarves around my head. Sometimes I add my satin bonnet on top of this (I know overkill). This when my hair is pressed. When it's natural I do either or (bonnet or scarves).

Q
Mmmm.... maybe I will do a high ponytail tonight....I think I recall Kitchen_tican saying she does this as well! Thanks!

brickhouse

I put my hair in a ponytail and put on a satin bonnet. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase. I wear a quick weave wig so I just throw that on. I am trying to retain length and protect my ends.

brickhouse

mrslee, I am also 1.5 inches from brastrap. My tails barely touches brastap. I have a Vee and I am going to keep it. Everyone likes it and if I cut it, it will just grow back into the Vee. I hope to be at brastrap fully by this summer. I know we are going to make it.

Isis

I sleep on a silk pillowcase and after braiding my hair up, I wear a satin scarf with a satin bonnet over it (so it won't slip off). This is probably overkill but I've learned that silk and satin keeps hair moisture in and the pillowcase keeps my skin smooth too.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
brickhouse said:
mrslee, I am also 1.5 inches from brastrap. My tails barely touches brastap. I have a Vee and I am going to keep it. Everyone likes it and if I cut it, it will just grow back into the Vee. I hope to be at brastrap fully by this summer. I know we are going to make it.

Yes, we are!!! :) :yay: :dance7: :clap:!!!

blue_flower

Isis said:
I sleep on a silk pillowcase and after braiding my hair up, I wear a satin scarf with a satin bonnet over it (so it won't slip off). This is probably overkill but I've learned that silk and satin keeps hair moisture in and the pillowcase keeps my skin smooth too.

That's *exactly* how I do it except that I don't have a satin pillowcose.

kitchen_tician

Yes, I wear my hair in a high scrunchi bun. Then I cover with a satin/silk scarf. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase, just in case my scarf comes off.

Also, if the scarf comes off, my ends are still protected because they are loosely wrapped in the bun. Your ends will definitely suffer if you don't protect them when you sleep. One bad night can almost set you back. Here's a pic: http://public.fotki.com/Kitchentician/may_2004_styles/2004_0601image0063.html

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I do the baggie method at night. I make a loose bun, put a baggie with olive oil over it and then a scrunchi to hold it all in place and tie a satin scarf over my head. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase. Doing this has saved my ends.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
kitchen_tician said:
Yes, I wear my hair in a high scrunchi bun. Then I cover with a satin/silk scarf. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase, just in case my scarf comes off.

Also, if the scarf comes off, my ends are still protected because they are loosely wrapped in the bun. Your ends will definitely suffer if you don't protect them when you sleep. One bad night can almost set you back. Here's a pic: http://public.fotki.com/Kitchentician/may_2004_styles/2004_0601image0063.html

Hey Kitchen_tician!

Last night I did the high ponytail and slept on my satin pillow case. My hair turned out fine! I am going to do this and wear my bonnet over it. Thanks for the heads up on the ends! I dont want a setback at all!

I recall trying to do this a couple of months ago and it didnt work. Some of my hair wouldnt stay in the high the ponytail. I didnt have a problem at all getting it up there last night! That had shown me I was making progress!!! :)

AudraChanell

I wrap my hair most nights (without bobby pins) and use a satin wrap to secure it. When I want a wavvy, bodiful look I gather it sort of high in the back, twist it 2-3 times, lay it flat on top of my head with the ends pointing toward the front, secure with 2 bobby pins and wear my satin bonnet.

brownsugarbabe

I have trouble wrapping my hair at night. So what I do is I part my hair down the middle and take both the halves and overlapp them. I secure this with my satin scarf and then I tie a doo rag on top of that....my scarfs ALWAYS fall off my head when I'm sleep. The doo rag keeps the scarf in place.

sengschick

The Bun Master
Well I'm the lazy one. I don't like wearing a lot of head gear to bed b/c I don't want to be that wife looking :eek: every night. :lol: It depends on how I'm wearing my hair. If it's curly/wavy, etc. I braid the ends so that they don't get so tangled and then I pin the braid up. The other thing I do is pin it into a loose up-do w/good hair days pins. I sometimes wrap my perimeters w/a satin scarf. I sleep on satin pillow cases, so I feel safe.

KinksnCurlz

Satin Bonnet... hair either left out OR i braid it in one braid.
Silk Scarf... hair wrapped in doobie (alternate or regular)

kitchen_tician

mrslee said:
Hey Kitchen_tician!

Last night I did the high ponytail and slept on my satin pillow case. My hair turned out fine! I am going to do this and wear my bonnet over it. Thanks for the heads up on the ends! I dont want a setback at all!

I recall trying to do this a couple of months ago and it didnt work. Some of my hair wouldnt stay in the high the ponytail. I didnt have a problem at all getting it up there last night! That had shown me I was making progress!!! :)

Congrats on the progress!!! I'm glad it worked for you. :weird:

mrslee

Love yourself first!
Thanks again Ladies for the high ponytail suggestion! I did it again but this time I out my bonnet over it, even though it fell off sometime early this morning! My hair came out lovely! Not all balled up looking on the ends!! I just love you guys!!! :kiss:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I wear my hair in a high bun and sleep on a satin pillowcase.
Sometimes I do two large french braids and put a satin scarf over them, but it's not very comfortable to sleep on two "ropes"... My hair looks better this way though.

ccd

Kitchen!!! I Love that BUN!!!!!! WOW and the shine!!! :cool:

I wrap my hair...then I'll clip it up in a half twist really and wear a scarf.....sometimes wearing a long rectangular scarf around my hairline then a regular scarf to hold it down...I have a satin pillow case too...good for your hair and skin ( I sleep on my tummy).......

tuffCOOKiE

kitchen_tician said:

Dont you get lines where the scrunci was? how do you prevent that?

BobbieDoll

I oil my ends and put it in a loose bun with a stain scarf as well. I might try the higher bun though to see if it's easier to sleep that way.

A_Christian

I cover my hair with a silk scarf at night and also sleep on a satin pillowcase. For some reason my hair seems to retain more moisture and generally look better in the morning when I wear my silk scarf instead of the satin one. I may get a silk pillowcase and see if I get even better results. I also have a silk bonnet from Tenderheaded.com to use to maintain my curly styles at night; I'm sure it will work great but I haven't used it yet.

Isis

A_Christian said:
I cover my hair with a silk scarf at night and also sleep on a satin pillowcase. For some reason my hair seems to retain more moisture and generally look better in the morning when I wear my silk scarf instead of the satin one. I may get a silk pillowcase and see if I get even better results. I also have a silk bonnet from Tenderheaded.com to use to maintain my curly styles at night; I'm sure it will work great but I haven't used it yet.
The silk pillowcase from Tenderheaded.com is wonderful for my hair and skin.:)
Is that silk bonnet comfortable A Christian? I have my eye on it. My satin bonnet gives me a mild headache every morning from squeezing my head to tight! :perplexed

PhonyBaloney500

I got the satin pillowcase from tenderheaded and it feels AWFUL to me. Very cheap feeling lol.
Lately I've been doing the high ponytail with satin scarf thing--working really well. :)

amy1234

I usually wrap my hair under a satin scarf to flatten/straighten the hair , then I would put on my bonnet over it. The bonnet prevents the satin scarf from falling off and keeps it secure.

Xcellence2

When I have my hair pressed, I wrap my hair and then use a triangle net on it followed by a satin scarf and the pillows on my bed are satin.

When my hair is curly, the first night while it is drying I sleep with it down. The next night I usually put it in a very loose bun so my hair wont bend a lot and cover with a satin bonnet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for caring for wavy/curly hair at night so it is not flat and or deformed in the morning?